Spin of Sfermions: 2 d.o.f, Why Complex Scalar Not Spin-1?

• Thread starter kev0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary: I haven't found an answer to this question, but it seems like it would be possible in principle, although I am not sure if there are any physical theories that do this. So in summary, the degrees of freedom for a Weyl spinor and its superpartner must match, which is why the superpartner must also have 2 d.o.f. However, in order to maintain the left-handed and right-handed fermion representations in the Standard Model, the superpartners must be in chiral multiplets, which only have scalars and fermions. This means that the superpartner must be a complex scalar, not a spin-1 field. This is because a spin-1 field must be in the adjoint representation of a gauge
kev0
I understand that the degrees of freedom must match.

A Weyl spinor has 2 d.o.f (spin up and spin down), thus the superpartner must also have 2 d.o.f
Is there a reason why it is a complex scalar and not of spin-1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The left-handed fermions in the Standard Model are doublets under the electroweak group, while the right-handed fermions are singlets. The only way to do this in am ##N=1## SUSY theory is if we put them in chiral multiplets, which only have scalars and fermions. Conversely, a spin 1 field must be in the adjoint representation of a gauge group for the quantum theory to make sense. Since there are no SM fermions in an adjoint representation, the fermions in any vector multiplets must be superpartners (gauginos), not SM particles.

Hi fzero, thanks for your answer.

Can you check if my chain of reasoning is correct?

- Spin 1 fields must lie in the adjoint representation of any quantum theory (I actually didn't know this was a requirement)
- SM Fermions live in the fundamental representation => When extending SM with SUSY, the superpartners of the fermions must also be in the fundamental rep.
- Thus sfermions are of spin 0, not spin 1.

kev0 said:
Hi fzero, thanks for your answer.

Can you check if my chain of reasoning is correct?

- Spin 1 fields must lie in the adjoint representation of any quantum theory (I actually didn't know this was a requirement)

Yes, to flesh this out, the longitudinal component of a spin 1 field with no gauge invariance would have negative norm once the theory is quantized. However, if the spin 1 field transforms in the familiar way under a gauge invariance (##A_\mu \rightarrow A_\mu + \partial_\mu\alpha##), this longitudinal component becomes an unphysical, pure gauge degree of freedom. This gauge transformation corresponds to the one in which ##A_\mu## is the connection of a gauge-covariant derivative, as is familiar from demonstrating that the matter kinetic terms are gauge-invariant. This identification with the connection on the gauge group is precisely the one which requires that the gauge field be in the adjoint representation.

- SM Fermions live in the fundamental representation => When extending SM with SUSY, the superpartners of the fermions must also be in the fundamental rep.
- Thus sfermions are of spin 0, not spin 1.

Yes, this is true that the left-handed fermions turn out to be in fundamental representations and so the entire supermultiplets must transform the same way.

fzero said:
Yes, to flesh this out, the longitudinal component of a spin 1 field with no gauge invariance would have negative norm once the theory is quantized. However, if the spin 1 field transforms in the familiar way under a gauge invariance (##A_\mu \rightarrow A_\mu + \partial_\mu\alpha##), this longitudinal component becomes an unphysical, pure gauge degree of freedom. This gauge transformation corresponds to the one in which ##A_\mu## is the connection of a gauge-covariant derivative, as is familiar from demonstrating that the matter kinetic terms are gauge-invariant. This identification with the connection on the gauge group is precisely the one which requires that the gauge field be in the adjoint representation.

I don't think that logic is as tight as it seems because of the possibility of having a massless spin 1 particle in a representation other than the adjoint representation. Massless particles don't have longitudinal components.

dauto said:
I don't think that logic is as tight as it seems because of the possibility of having a massless spin 1 particle in a representation other than the adjoint representation. Massless particles don't have longitudinal components.

To be complete I should have referred to both timelike and longitudinal components. But that is for a formalism where we start with a theory of a 4-vector and attempt to quantize. You suggest the equally appropriate starting point of quantizing a massless particle with helicity ##\pm 1## components. But then you run into difficulty because if we try to assemble these components into a 4-vector, you find that a generic Lorentz transformation generates a timelike component. So the theory is not Lorentz-invariant unless we admit the ##A_\mu \rightarrow A_\mu + \partial_\mu \alpha## gauge symmetry. This is discussed in Weinberg.

One could certainly produce a much more rigorous argument than I have, but one should always be led to the conclusion that consistent quantization of a spin 1 field requires a specific gauge-invariance. I am not sure if one could add an additional representation under a 2nd gauge group in which a gauge field transforms in a representation other than the adjoint.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the spin of sfermions?

The spin of sfermions is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of these particles. It is denoted by the quantum number "s" and can have values of either half-integer or integer, depending on the type of sfermion.

2. How many degrees of freedom (d.o.f) does a sfermion with spin-1 have?

A sfermion with spin-1 has two degrees of freedom. This means that there are two possible states or orientations that the particle can have in space, corresponding to its spin up and spin down states.

3. Why are complex scalars not spin-1 particles?

Complex scalars are not spin-1 particles because they have zero spin. This is because their wave function does not change under a 360-degree rotation, making them spinless particles.

4. What is the significance of sfermion spin in particle physics?

Sfermion spin plays an important role in particle physics as it determines the behavior and interactions of these particles with other particles. It also helps in the identification and classification of different types of sfermions.

5. How does the spin of sfermions affect their interactions with the Higgs boson?

The spin of sfermions affects their interactions with the Higgs boson in a way that only particles with half-integer spin (such as sfermions) can couple to the Higgs field and acquire mass. This phenomenon is known as the Higgs mechanism and plays a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics.