Spinning a Bucket to measure gravity with the parabolic surface of the water

Samir_Khalilullah
Homework Statement
When a bucket full of water is being rotated, the water surface makes a parabolic shape. If we take a cross section of the surface, its slope will be related to gravitational acceleration, g. That means that we can calculate the values of g by taking the slope measurement at various points.

(see figure in the attachments...)

(A) Suppose the bucket has ω angular velocity. Find the slope of the cross-section when the distance from the center of the bucket is x. Consider the horizontal and vertical components of the forces acting on a small packet of water, a distance "x" from the center of the bucket.

The height of the water surface will remain constant when x = R √2 , where R is the radius of the bucket. This is the condition of maintaining a constant column. This provides us with a stable point to measure slope.

Now, consider a laser placed at h height directly above the point is emitting a beam vertically downwards. After reflection, it reaches the height of the laser with d horizontal distance from the source. We can get the slope from the values of d and h. And ω can be measured by finding the time it takes to rotate 20 times. These data are tabulated below, here h = 13 cm , R = 7.25 cm.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
| 20T (s) | 42.68 | 31.6 | 28.44 | 23.98 | 23.48 | 20.9 | 19.8 | 18.8 | 18.16 | 16.78 |
__________________________________________________________________________________________
| d (mm) | 11 | 20 | 26 | 30 | 40 | 51 | 56 | 65 | 70 | 85 |

(B) Using these data, draw an appropriate linear graph and calculate the value of g.
(C) Find out the relative error of your result using the reference value.
Relevant Equations
none
I did (A) by balancing force on point p (in the figure). I found slope , tanθ = (w^2)x/g. I dont know what to do next. Pls help

Attachments

• bucket.png
    bucket.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 12
  • data.png
    data.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 14
Physics news on Phys.org
hello @Samir_Khalilullah ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

Samir_Khalilullah said:
Homework Statement: When a bucket full of water is being rotated, the water surface makes a parabolic shape. If we take a cross section of the surface, its slope will be related to gravitational acceleration, g. That means that we can calculate the values of g by taking the slope measurement at various points.

(see figure in the attachments...)

(A) Suppose the bucket has ω angular velocity. Find the slope of the cross-section when the distance from the center of the bucket is x. Consider the horizontal and vertical components of the forces acting on a small packet of water, a distance "x" from the center of the bucket.

The height of the water surface will remain constant when x = R √2 , where R is the radius of the bucket. This is the condition of maintaining a constant column. This provides us with a stable point to measure slope.

Now, consider a laser placed at h height directly above the point is emitting a beam vertically downwards. After reflection, it reaches the height of the laser with d horizontal distance from the source. We can get the slope from the values of d and h. And ω can be measured by finding the time it takes to rotate 20 times. These data are tabulated below, here h = 13 cm , R = 7.25 cm.

| 20T (s) | 42.68 | 31.6 | 28.44 | 23.98 | 23.48 | 20.9 | 19.8 | 18.8 | 18.16 | 16.78 |
| d (mm) | 11 | 20 | 26 | 30 | 40 | 51 | 56 | 65 | 70 | 85 |

(B) Using these data, draw an appropriate linear graph and calculate the value of g.
(C) Find out the relative error of your result using the reference value.
Relevant Equations: none

I did (A) by balancing force on point p (in the figure). I found slope , tanθ = (w^2)x/g. I dont know what to do next. Pls help

Well, perhaps you want to continue with part B :wink: ? In that case you will need a relationship between slope ##\theta## and distance ##d##.

1708515424930.png
A little geometry around point ##P## should do the trick !

PS I must say I don't understand "The height of the water surface will remain constant when x = R √2". Can you explain it ?

##\ ##

Let's see your solution for part A.

BvU said:

Well, perhaps you want to continue with part B :wink: ? In that case you will need a relationship between slope ##\theta## and distance ##d##.

PS I must say I don't understand "The height of the water surface will remain constant when x = R √2". Can you explain it ?

##\ ##
my bad, it was supposed to be R/sqrt(2). well, that means, even if i change the angular velocity, the height of the water column would remain constant

BvU said:

##\ ##
also, after a bit of geometry, i did find the angle adjacent to h (at point P) to be 2 times theta. but i dont know how to proceed from there

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Let's see your solution for part A.
(I'm new here so i cant really write with latex, sorry)

So I balanced the forces at point P.(otherwise the height of water column would not remain same). we have centripetal acceleration (w^2)*x towards +ve x axis and gravity g at -ve y axis ( taking point P as centre). So the two forces acting along the tangent to P are ((w^2)*x)cos(theta) and gsin(theta). these forces have to be of equal magnitude. thus i find tangent , tan(theta)=(w^2)x/g

Samir_Khalilullah said:
also, after a bit of geometry, i did find the angle adjacent to h (at point P) to be 2 times theta. but i dont know how to proceed from there
So you want to expresss ##d## in terms of ##\theta## and ##h##. How about a tangent?

##\LaTeX## tutorial button under lower left of edit panel. Worth the investment, and fun!

##\ ##

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
BvU said:
So you want to expresss ##d## in terms of ##\theta## and ##h##. How about a tangent?

##\LaTeX## tutorial button under lower left of edit panel. Worth the investment, and fun!

##\ ##
yeah i realized that. ## \tan 2 \theta = \frac d h ##. And i also know, ## \tan \theta = \frac {\omega^2 R} {g \sqrt{2}} ## . I can relate these two with $$ \tan 2 \theta = \frac {2 \tan \theta} {1 - {\tan^2 \theta}} $$ . But that would give me a complex equation. i need to get a linear equation so that i can plot this in a graph and find its slope and then find the value of g. So i need help . ( ALSO THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LATEX GUIDE)

Last edited:
Samir_Khalilullah said:
But that would give me a complex equation.
Nothing that you can't handle. It's a quadratic in ##g## of the form ##Ag^2+Bg+C=0##. You know that the solution of that is $$g=\frac{-B\pm\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}.$$Throw out the solution that does not make physical sense and plot ##g## vs. order of measurement. You should get a straight horizontal line.

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
kuruman said:
Nothing that you can't handle. It's a quadratic in ##g## of the form ##Ag^2+Bg+C=0##. You know that the solution of that is $$g=\frac{-B\pm\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}.$$Throw out the solution that does not make physical sense and plot ##g## vs. order of measurement. You should get a straight horizontal line.
ok i did what you told .i got , $$ g = \frac {\sqrt{2} \omega^2 R \left( h + \sqrt{h^2 + d^2} \right)} {2 d} $$

now what do i do? They have given me data of "d" and "T"(from which i can get ## \omega ##). i need to plot a linear equation in the graph and estimate its slope. pls help.

data.png

Use the equation you got to find 10 values of g. If you did everything right, a plot of the value you got vs. the order of the measurement (1, 2, 3,..., 10) should give you a straight horizontal line. If you don't get that, you did something wrong. Go back and check your work.

kuruman said:
Use the equation you got to find 10 values of g. If you did everything right, a plot of the value you got vs. the order of the measurement (1, 2, 3,..., 10) should give you a straight horizontal line. If you don't get that, you did something wrong. Go back and check your work.
Thanks, I think I'm getting somewhere. here's the graph i got.

graph of g.png

Though I'm a bit doubtful about the result of data number 4, g can't be that high. Do i have to draw a best fit line?? everything else seems to be almost in a straight line. Or do i just have to calculate the average?

I am doubtful about data point 4 too. You can ignore as long as you justify your reasons for doing so. For the remaining points, taking an average would mask a non-zero slope. Do a linear fit and see if the slope you get is within experimental error. If it's not, you have to explain what it could possibly mean.

This looks like a test with made up numbers so there is no actual experiment involved.

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
I am a lazy bugger and prefer to let the computer do the work :smile:
So I let it calculate ##\theta = \arctan(d/h)/2 ## and plot ##\tan\theta## as a function of ##\omega^2##:

1708538146341.png
where I consider point 4 a typo or something definitely wrong.

So I leave that out and then let it plot a trendline. Result ##\tan\theta = 0.0054 \,x -0.0065 ## (confirmed by a regression -- not that lazy, apparently).

Slope of 0.0054 should be ##\displaystyle {R\over g \sqrt 2} ## so that ##g = 9.82## m/s2

Bull's eye !!?! Too good to be true ?

So I wholeheartedly agree with
kuruman said:
This looks like a test with made up numbers so there is no actual experiment involved.

And then we can earn a meagre 0.5 points in part C:

1708540796638.png

A serious error discussion is something else ....

I have no idea what reference value is meant here. Maybe 9.81 m/s2 ?
In which case we are less than 0.1% off. :rolleyes:

##R = 0.075 ## m ; any (relative) error goes straight to ##g## (i.e. is a systematic error in the determination of ##g##). An optimistic estimate is, say 1 mm, so 1.3 %
( Not very big, this 'bucket' :smile: )

##h = 0.13 ## m ; error goes straight into ##\theta##; estimate 2 mm means 1.5% for ##g##, again a systematic error (i.e. doesn't average out but all work in the same direction in ##g##)

##d## let's assume (optimistically) errors average out...

If the systematic errors are independent, we may add them in quadrature and get 2%.
Meaning ##g = 9.8 \pm 0.2## m/s2 is what we should report.

And all that without a decent motivation for throwing out an observation that may or may not be 'in error' ...

##\ ##

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
BvU said:
So I leave that out and then let it plot a trendline. Result ##\tan\theta = 0.0054 \,x -0.0065 ## (confirmed by a regression -- not that lazy, apparently).

Slope of 0.0054 should be ##\displaystyle {R\over g \sqrt 2} ## so that ##g = 9.82## m/s2

With R = 7.25 cm instead of 7.50 cm, g = 9.49 m/s2. Still in the ballpark.

I like this method of getting g from the slope of a linear graph. From the wording of the problem statement, I tend to think this is the approach they want.

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
TSny said:
I like this method of getting g from the slope of a linear graph. From the wording of the problem statement, I tend to think this is the approach they want.
I am a purist. I believe that plots should only have directly measured quantities on the right hand side.
BvU said:
I have no idea what reference value is meant here. Maybe 9.81 m/s2 ?
For a meagre 0.5 pts, I think that "relative error" here means discrepancy $$\text{Relative error %}=\frac{\text{Plot value}-\text{Accepted value}}{\text{Accepted value}}\times 100.$$

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
kuruman said:
I am a purist. I believe that plots should only have directly measured quantities on the right hand side.
Me too ( a purist, that is; always disliked parity plots ). But I wonder what the righthand side of a plot is. And measured/calculated tend to contaminate frequently despite good intentions.

And I do prefer the figure in #12 over the figure in #10.

... there is the smalll matter that it's accidentally the wrong figure (with intercept 0).
The one intended is:
1708561530113.png

:smile: with a 4% different ##g## 🤔

(more work needed: discarding a point is a no-no; slope is ##0.00540\pm 0.00005##, intercept ##-0.00650\pm 0.0020## -- yes/no intercept zero, etc, etc)

##\ ##

Likes Samir_Khalilullah
BvU said:
Me too ( a purist, that is; always disliked parity plots ). But I wonder what the righthand side of a plot is. And measured/calculated tend to contaminate frequently despite good intentions.
I composed the message in a hurry. I meant the right hand side of the equation that is being plotted. Sorry for the confusion.

As for discarding a point collected in lab, I too was taught that it is a no-no. However, I was also advised to "plot as you go along" just in case you need to retake a measurement. Look at points 4 and 5.
4: 23.98 s, 30 mm
5: 23.48 s, 40 mm
If I were doing this experiment, I would go back and retake the two measurements just to make sure I have not accidentally discovered a hitherto unknown phase transition of water that shows up only when it is spinning at a certain frequency. (Right!)

Likes BvU