Calculating the wavelength of a surface wave after impact

In summary: For example, if the wavelength is 4 times the depth of the water, then the ball can sit at the antinode (the peak of the wave) and not be affected by the wave.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the wavelength of a surface wave after impact of a perfect sphere with mass m and volume v on the surface of water in a bucket. The depth of the water and radius of the bucket are given, but there is uncertainty about which formulas to use. The conversation suggests that the mass and volume of the sphere may not significantly affect the wavelength and that the features of the bucket and water play a larger role. Different modes of the standing wave are also mentioned.
LordOfCinders

Homework Statement

There's a bucket, filled about halfway with water. The water itself is completely still. A perfect sphere with mass m and volume v are given. The depth of the water, and the radius of the bucket (which may be considered perfectly cylindrical) are both given. In short, you know everything.

Calculate the wavelength of a surface wave after impact of the sphere with the surface water.

Homework Equations

My issue with this question is that I still have no idea what formulas I actually have to use. However, there are a few things I assumed:

Ekin = (1.2)*m*v^2
Fz = m * g (g being 9.81 [m/s^2])
W = F * S
v = root(g * h)
c = root((g * wavelength)/(2pi))

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated before, I am clueless. The only reason I even believe the kinetic energy and gravity are important, is because I suppose that there's either a transfer of forces, or a transfer of energy. I do not need to be fed the answer to this question, but it would help me greatly if someone knew of a formula that I myself could not find (after about an hour of searching using terms such as "surface wave after impact")

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the mass or volume of the sphere are significant, compared to the dimensions (and mass) of the water bucket, I think the wavelength is going to depend on the features of the bucket/water almost exclusively. The ball simply disturbs the water and starts the wave. After that, it has not much effect.

There would be different modes that the standing wave could operate in.

1. How do you calculate the wavelength of a surface wave after impact?

To calculate the wavelength of a surface wave after impact, you will need to know the speed of the wave and the frequency of the wave. You can then use the formula wavelength = speed/frequency to find the wavelength. The speed of a surface wave can be determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as the density and elasticity.

2. Can you calculate the wavelength of a surface wave without knowing its speed?

No, you cannot calculate the wavelength of a surface wave without knowing its speed. The speed of a wave is a crucial factor in determining its wavelength, so without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the wavelength.

3. How does the wavelength of a surface wave change after impact?

The wavelength of a surface wave can change after impact depending on the properties of the medium it is traveling through. If the medium becomes more dense or less elastic after impact, the wavelength of the surface wave may decrease. On the other hand, if the medium becomes less dense or more elastic, the wavelength may increase.

4. Can the wavelength of a surface wave be measured directly?

Yes, the wavelength of a surface wave can be measured directly using specialized equipment such as a wave ruler or a laser displacement sensor. These tools can accurately measure the distance between two consecutive points on the wave, allowing for the calculation of the wavelength.

5. How can knowing the wavelength of a surface wave after impact be useful?

Knowing the wavelength of a surface wave after impact can be useful in various fields of science and engineering. It can help us understand the behavior of waves in different mediums and how they are affected by external factors such as impact. This information can also be used in building and designing structures that can withstand surface wave impacts, such as earthquake-resistant buildings.