Spinodal and Isotherms graph on P-V diagram

In summary: The reduce form of the equation of state is simply the Helmholtz equation, which states that pressure is a function of temperature and volume: P(T, V) = p(T, V). The equation of state can also be written in terms of these variables as p(T, V) = -k(T, V), where k is a constant."In summary, a spinodal line is a line that satisfies the property ##\frac {\partial P}{\partial V} = 0##. You can plot this line by solving for ##P(T, V)## and storing the point.
ReuvenD10
Homework Statement
During my work I have to show on a P-V diagram certain points on the spinodal for water
Relevant Equations
//
Hey guys,

During my work I have to show on a P-V diagram certain points on the spinodal for water.

How do I draw the spinodel and isothermal lines on a diagram (for example in Excel)? Is it something that I need to calculate? I'm lost on this, I did not find anything relevant on the internet.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
*If I remember correctly* (big emphasis on that) a spinodal line is defined by the property ##\frac {\partial^2 F}{\partial V^2} = 0##. Since the free energy ##F## is a function of temperature this defines a function of temperature (##T##). Moreover pressure is ##P = -\frac {\partial F} {\partial V}## so a spinodal line could be seen in PV graph as a line that satisfies ##\frac {\partial P}{\partial V} = 0##. In order to plot this line you need an equation of state ##P = f(T, V)## (for example Van der Waals if you are dealing with a fluid) then you:
-fix a value of ##T##
-evaluate ##\frac {\partial P(T, V)}{\partial V} = 0##
-store that point
-repeat steps 1, 2, 3 for a different values of ##T##
-plot the line.
This could be done easily with a software like MATLAB or phyton or whatever you like.

Thank for the answer.
Besides Van Der Waals, do you have a suggestion for another equation of state that is suitable for fluid?

Redlich–Kwong or Redlich–Kwong-Soave come to mind. RKS I think is most used for organic compounds, but it's just a guess. Maybe @Chestermiller could help

Thank, I want to find a development for a state equation to get points on the spinodal for fluid (except a VDW state equation).

There's a nice explanation on spinodal diagram and also binodal in Principles of Condensed Matter Physics of Chaikin and Lubensky.

dRic2 said:
Redlich–Kwong or Redlich–Kwong-Soave come to mind. RKS I think is most used for organic compounds, but it's just a guess. Maybe @Chestermiller could help

I try to find the reduce form of Redlich Kwong equation.
you have the reduce form for this EOS? or some good book/ article that show how to develop from original form to the reduce form.

What's a "reduce form" ? Sorry I don't know. Btw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlich–Kwong_equation_of_state
you just need the formula in that article. You have to find ##a## and ##b## for the particular substance you are studying. You could get those from any good engineering /chemical engineering handbook. It's been a while since I last check one of those so I can't help you much further.

dRic2 said:
What's a "reduce form" ? Sorry I don't know. Btw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlich–Kwong_equation_of_state
you just need the formula in that article. You have to find ##a## and ##b## for the particular substance you are studying. You could get those from any good engineering /chemical engineering handbook. It's been a while since I last check one of those so I can't help you much further.
I saw wikipedia page, but the equation not clear. I think some sign is missing.

from wikipedia:
1608550749820.png

Attachments

• 1608550742996.png
    1608550742996.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 129

1. What is a spinodal on a P-V diagram?

A spinodal on a P-V diagram is a region where the pressure and volume of a substance are both increasing, but the substance is still in a single phase. This is in contrast to a binodal, where the substance is transitioning between two phases.

2. How is a spinodal different from a binodal?

A spinodal is a region on a P-V diagram where the substance is still in a single phase, while a binodal is a region where the substance is transitioning between two phases. Additionally, the spinodal is characterized by both pressure and volume increasing, while the binodal is characterized by one of these variables remaining constant.

3. What information can be gathered from a spinodal and isotherms graph on a P-V diagram?

A spinodal and isotherms graph on a P-V diagram can provide information about the phase behavior and stability of a substance. It can also show the critical point of the substance, where the spinodal and binodal meet.

4. How does temperature affect the spinodal and isotherms on a P-V diagram?

Temperature can affect the shape and location of the spinodal and isotherms on a P-V diagram. As temperature increases, the spinodal region becomes smaller and the critical point shifts to higher pressures and volumes.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying spinodal and isotherms on a P-V diagram?

Studying spinodal and isotherms on a P-V diagram can be useful in understanding the behavior of substances in various industrial processes, such as in the production of polymers and the development of new materials. It can also help in predicting the stability and phase transitions of substances under different conditions.