Spinor notation excercise with grassman numbers

In summary, the exercise involves squaring a term in Wess-Zumino gauge using index/spinor notation. The solution is \frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)V^{\mu}V_{\mu}, with the help of the identity \left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}=-2\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}.
Onamor
Spinor notation exercise with grassman numbers

I'm checking a term when squaring a vector superfield in Wess-Zumino gauge, but its really just an excercise in index/spinor notation:

I need to square the term [itex]\left(\theta^{\alpha}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\right)V_{\mu}[/itex]

where [itex]\theta^{\alpha}[/itex] is a Weyl spinor of grassman numbers, [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}[/itex] is a spinor in conjugate rep, [itex]\sigma^{\mu}[/itex] is a Pauli 4-vector (ie [itex]\left(1,\sigma^{i}\right)[/itex]) and [itex]V_{\mu}[/itex] is just a 4-vector.

The answer is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)V^{\mu}V_{\mu}[/itex] where [itex]\left(\theta\theta\right)\equiv\theta^{\alpha}\theta_{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\equiv\theta_{\dot{\beta}}\theta^{\dot{\beta}}[/itex].

So, in detail, to square the term I want to multiply it by a similar term with upper and lower indices switched:
[itex]\left(\theta^{\alpha}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\right)\left(\theta_{\delta}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\delta\dot{\gamma}}\bar{\theta}_{\dot{\gamma}}\right)V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

First of all I switch the [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\theta_{\delta}[/itex] for free as they commute(?)

Then since [itex]\theta^{\alpha}\theta_{delta}=\theta^{\alpha}\theta^{\lambda}\epsilon_{\lambda\delta}=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\epsilon^{\alpha\lambda}\epsilon^{\lambda\delta}=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\theta\theta\right)\delta^{\alpha}_{\delta}[/itex],
and similarly [itex]\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}}\bar{\theta}_{\dot{\gamma}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\delta^{\dot{\beta}}_{\dot{\gamma}}[/itex], I have

[itex]-\frac{1}{4}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\delta^{\alpha}_{\delta}\delta^{\dot{\beta}}_{\dot{\gamma}}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\delta\dot{\gamma}}V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

Or [itex]-\frac{1}{4}\left(\theta\theta\right)\left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right)\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}V^{\nu}V_{\mu}[/itex].

So, does [itex]\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}=-2\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex]?

Its possible that a minus sign comes from the commutation of the two thetas in the first step, and perhaps I should have used the conjugate pauli 4-vector [itex]\left(-1,\sigma^{i}\right)[/itex] to square the term?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct that \left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\alpha\dot{\beta}}\left(\sigma_{\nu}\right)^{\alpha\dot{\beta}}=-2\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}. The minus sign from the commutation of the two thetas does not play a role, since it cancels out with the minus sign in the definition of \left(\theta\theta\right) and \left(\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta}\right). And no, you do not need to use the conjugate Pauli 4-vector to square the term.

Related to Spinor notation excercise with grassman numbers

What is spinor notation?

Spinor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent spin states in quantum mechanics. It uses Grassmann numbers, which are mathematical objects that extend the concept of real and complex numbers to include anticommuting elements.

What are Grassmann numbers?

Grassmann numbers are mathematical objects that extend the concept of real and complex numbers to include anticommuting elements. They are used in spinor notation to represent spin states in quantum mechanics.

How is spinor notation used in quantum mechanics?

Spinor notation is used in quantum mechanics to represent spin states of particles. It allows for the calculation of probabilities and other properties of particles with spin, such as electrons and protons.

What are the advantages of using spinor notation?

Spinor notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of spin states in quantum mechanics. It also simplifies calculations and allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques, such as the use of Grassmann numbers.

Are there any drawbacks to using spinor notation?

One potential drawback of spinor notation is that it can be more difficult for those unfamiliar with it to understand and use. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all systems and may not be the most efficient notation for certain calculations.