Spinors and eigenspinors confusion

In summary: So$$\hat{S}_z \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \hbar/2 & 0 \\ 0 & -\hbar/2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} (\hbar/2) a \\ (-\hbar/2) b \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} (\hbar/2) a \\ (0) b \end{pmatrix}.$$And you see that ##a## is the component of the eigenvector corresponding to the ##+\hbar/2
happyparticle
TL;DR Summary
Spinors and eigenspinors of ##S_z## and ##S_x## for a spin 1/2
Hi,
While studying the spin 1/2, I'm facing some confusions about the spinors and the eigenspinors.

I understand that ##\chi = \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \end{bmatrix}## is the spinor with ##\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## and ##\chi_-= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}## the eigenspinors.

However, in my book I have ##\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, (eigenvalue + \frac{\hbar}{2})## which I'm not sure to understand.
Furthermore, to find the eigenvalue of ##S_x##, Griffith uses ##\begin{bmatrix}-\lambda & \frac{\hbar}{2}\\ \frac{\hbar}{2} & -\lambda \end{bmatrix} = 0##, but I don't see where this expression come from?
Finally, he says that ##\chi = (\frac{a+b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_+ + \frac{a-b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_-)##, which I suposse ##\frac{a+b}{\sqrt{2}} = a ## and ##\frac{a-b}{\sqrt{2}} = b##, again I'm not sure how he get those expressions for a and b.

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
TL;DR Summary: Spinors and eigenspinors of ##S_z## and ##S_x## for a spin 1/2

Hi,
While studying the spin 1/2, I'm facing some confusions about the spinors and the eigenspinors.

I understand that ##\chi = \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \end{bmatrix}## is the spinor with ##\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## and ##\chi_-= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}## the eigenspinors.

However, in my book I have ##\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, (eigenvalue + \frac{\hbar}{2})## which I'm not sure to understand.
Furthermore, to find the eigenvalue of ##S_x##, Griffith uses ##\begin{bmatrix}-\lambda & \frac{\hbar}{2}\\ \frac{\hbar}{2} & -\lambda \end{bmatrix} = 0##, but I don't see where this expression come from?
Finally, he says that ##\chi = (\frac{a+b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_+ + \frac{a-b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_-)##, which I suposse ##\frac{a+b}{\sqrt{2}} = a ## and ##\frac{a-b}{\sqrt{2}} = b##, again I'm not sure how he get those expressions for a and b.
You are close. To find the eigenvalues we take the determinant of ##S_x - I \lambda## and set it equal to 0:
##\left | \dfrac{\hbar}{2} \left ( \begin{matrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{matrix} \right ) - \left ( \begin{matrix} \lambda & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda \end{matrix} \right ) \right | = 0##

The last statement is going to take a bit more work and I'm going to try to be a bit psychic because you didn't say where this came from.

The +x eigenvector written in the z basis is
## \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right )##

and the -x eigenvector is written as
## \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{matrix} \right )##

So, I believe the question is: If ##\chi = \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \end{matrix} \right )## is written in the x basis, how can we rewrite this in the z basis?

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
topsquark said:
So, I believe the question is: If ##\chi = \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \end{matrix} \right )## is written in the x basis, how can we rewrite this in the z basis?
I'm not totally sure, but I think ##\chi## is in x basis.
Since the expression is ##
\chi = (\frac{a+b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_+^{x} + \frac{a-b}{\sqrt{2}} \chi_-^{x})##

I'm still not sure to understand the expression ##
\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, (eigenvalue + \frac{\hbar}{2})
##
Is ##\chi_+ = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix},## and/or ##(eigenvalue + \frac{\hbar}{2})## ?

Griffith says, if you mesure ##S_x##, the probability of getting ##+\hbar/2## is ##(1/2) |a+b|^2##.
There should be a link with the expression above, but I don't see why he says the probability of getting ##+ \hbar/2##

Last edited:
If you work in a basis of eigenvectors of ##\hat{s}_3##, ##|s_3 \rangle##, with the eigenvalues ##s_3 \in \{\hbar/2,-\hbar/2 \}##, then you can write any spin vector as
$$|\chi \rangle=a |\hbar/2 \rangle + b |\hbar/2 \rangle.$$
Then there is a one-to-one mapping between the vectors and their components wrt. that basis
$$\chi \rangle \mapsto \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix}.$$
Then the eigenvectors are orthonormal, i.e., ##a=\langle \hbar/2 |\chi \rangle=\chi_{\hbar/2}## and ##b=\langle \hbar/2|\chi \rangle=\chi_{-\hbar/2}##.
Any operator acting on the spinors then has a one-to-one map to ##2 \times 2## matrices:
$$\hat{A} |\chi \rangle=\sum_{s_{31},s_{32}} |s_{31} \rangle \langle s_{31}|\hat{A} s_{32} \rangle \langle{s_{32}}|\chi \rangle.$$
The matrix elements are
$$A_{s_{31} s_{32}}=\langle s_{31}|\hat{A} s_{32} \rangle \langle{s_{32}}$$
and the corresponding matrix
$$\hat{A}=\begin{pmatrix} A_{\hbar/2,\hbar/2} & A_{\hbar/2,-\hbar/2} \\ A_{-\hbar/2,\hbar} & A_{-\hbar/2,-\hbar/2} \end{pmatrix}.$$
And the the components of ##\hat{A} |\chi \rangle## are obviously given by ##\hat{A} \chi##.

Likes topsquark

1. What are spinors and eigenspinors?

Spinors and eigenspinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic spin of particles in quantum mechanics. Spinors are complex vectors that represent the spin state of a particle, while eigenspinors are a special type of spinor that corresponds to a specific spin value.

2. What is the difference between spinors and eigenspinors?

The main difference between spinors and eigenspinors is that spinors represent the spin state of a particle in general, while eigenspinors correspond to a specific spin value. Eigenspinors are obtained by solving the eigenvalue equation for the spin operator.

3. Why is there confusion between spinors and eigenspinors?

The confusion between spinors and eigenspinors arises because both terms are used interchangeably in some cases. This can be confusing because eigenspinors are a specific type of spinor, and not all spinors are eigenspinors.

4. How are spinors and eigenspinors used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spinors and eigenspinors are used to describe the spin state of particles and to calculate the probabilities of different spin measurements. They are also used in the construction of quantum mechanical wavefunctions, which describe the overall state of a particle.

5. What is the importance of understanding spinors and eigenspinors?

Understanding spinors and eigenspinors is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are essential mathematical tools in quantum mechanics and are used in many applications, such as in the construction of quantum computers and in the study of quantum entanglement.