Spivak Calculus 4th ed (Ch1 problem 7)

In summary, if 0<a<b, then a < \sqrt{ab} < \frac {a+b} {2} < b. This can be proven by using the fact that (a-b)^2 > 0 and manipulating the terms to show that a < \sqrt {ab} < \frac {a + b} {2} < b.
MidgetDwarf
Prove that if 0<a<b, then [itex]a < \sqrt{ab} < \frac {a+b} {2} < b [/itex]

Please excuse if format is messy, this is my first time writing in Latex.

Suppose 0<a<b then 0<a+O =a (1). Since a<b we can can rewrite this using (1) which is a+0<b (2).
Adding a to both sides of (2) (closed under addition) we get 2a< a+b (3). Using the multiplicative inverse of 2, (3) now becomes ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## (4). Using the fact that a<b, ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ##
< ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## < ## a < \frac {b + b} {2} ## =b. Therefore a<b .

Here is were I am confused. I am missing the step were ## a < \sqrt {ab} ##. Can I say that a*b<a*a=a^2 ?
Then take the square root? If this is true how would I connect it with ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## ?

Strong criticism welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:

Suppose 0<a<b then 0<a+O =a (1). Since a<b we can can rewrite this using (1) which is a+0<b (2).
Adding a to both sides of (2) (closed under addition) we get 2a< a+b (3). Using the multiplicative inverse of 2, (3) now becomes ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## (4). Using the fact that a<b, ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ##

Here is were I am confused. I am missing the step were ## a < \sqrt {ab} ##. Can I say that a*b<a*a=a^2 ?
Then take the square root? If this is true how would I connect it with ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## ?

MidgetDwarf said:
## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ##
Here something went wrong.

For ##\sqrt {ab} \lt \frac {a+b}{2}##, you could use the following:
##(a+b)²>0,\ (a-b)²>0##.

I am thinking that 0<a<b

a<b
## a * a < a * b ##
## \sqrt{a*a} < \sqrt{a*b} ##
## a + b < \sqrt{a*b} + b < \sqrt{b*b} +b= 2*b ##
(a+b)/2 < b ?

I am thinking this is correct.

Samy_A said:
Here something went wrong.

For ##\sqrt {ab} \lt \frac {a+b}{2}##, you could use the following:
##(a+b)²>0,\ (a-b)²>0##.

this come from the fact that if a<b then b^2-a^2= (b-a)(b+a)?

MidgetDwarf said:
I am thinking that 0<a<b

a<b
## a * a < a * b ##
## \sqrt{a*a} < \sqrt{a*b} ##
## a + b < \sqrt{a*b} + b < \sqrt{b*b} +b= 2*b ##
(a+b)/2 < b ?

I am thinking this is correct.
This is needlessly complicated:
##\frac{a+b}{2} \lt \frac{b+b}{2}=b## is all you need for the last inequality.

What I meant with "something went wrong" was about the following:
MidgetDwarf said:
< ## a < \frac {a + b} {2} ## < ## a < \frac {b + b} {2} ## =b. Therefore a<b
##\frac {a + b} {2} ## < ## a## is obviously wrong, probably a typo.
MidgetDwarf said:
this come from the fact that if a<b then b^2-a^2= (b-a)(b+a)?
I don't see how that helps you in proving the missing piece: ##\sqrt {ab}< \frac {a + b} {2}##
You could square both sides and calculate the difference. That's where ##(a-b)²>0## will help.

Samy_A said:
This is needlessly complicated:
##\frac{a+b}{2} \lt \frac{b+b}{2}=b## is all you need for the last inequality.

What I meant with "something went wrong" was about the following:
##\frac {a + b} {2} ## < ## a## is obviously wrong, probably a typo.
I don't see how that helps you in proving the missing piece: ##\sqrt {ab}< \frac {a + b} {2}##
You could square both sides and calculate the difference. That's where ##(a-b)²>0## will help.

Ahh very clever would have never thought about (a-b)^2 >0 part. By using this fact, it we just play with addition and subtraction of these terms. Thanks alot.

MidgetDwarf said:

@MidgetDwarf, in future posts, please don't delete the homework template. Its use is required in problems posted in the Homework sections.

Thanks Mark for informing.

1. What is the main concept behind Spivak Calculus 4th edition?

The main concept behind Spivak Calculus 4th edition is to provide a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to calculus, with a focus on developing a deeper understanding of the subject rather than just memorizing formulas and procedures.

2. What sets Spivak Calculus apart from other calculus textbooks?

Spivak Calculus is known for its challenging problem sets and emphasis on proof-based reasoning, making it a popular choice for students who want to develop a strong foundation in calculus.

3. What is the difficulty level of the problems in Ch1 problem 7 of Spivak Calculus 4th edition?

The difficulty level of the problems in Ch1 problem 7 of Spivak Calculus 4th edition is considered to be high, as it requires a solid understanding of basic concepts and the ability to think critically and creatively to solve the problems.

4. How can Spivak Calculus help me in my studies or research?

Spivak Calculus can help you develop a strong foundation in calculus, which is essential for many fields of science and engineering. It also teaches problem-solving skills and logical reasoning, which are valuable in any field of study or research.

5. Can Spivak Calculus be used as a self-study resource?

Yes, Spivak Calculus can be used as a self-study resource for motivated and dedicated students. However, it is recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a better understanding of the material and to get help with difficult problems.