Spivak Calculus Summation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the problem of manipulating equations involving the sum of consecutive numbers. The solution involves grouping and pairing numbers in order to find the correct sum. The formula -2(1+...+n) is used to effectively add 0 to the equation. However, there is confusion about how to apply this formula and how the odd number (2n-1) disappears in the process.
Wumbolog
Member warned about not using the homework template
Hi, I've enclosed my problem and attempt at solution below. I had problems with the latex so I photographed a picture of my work. The first top half is my attempt at the solution and the bottom is the solution that Spivak provides.

I don't understand how he reached his solution and I don't understand how to manipulate these equations "1+...+n"

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Attachments

• spivak1.jpg
    spivak1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand how he got from the first to the second line?

for 1+...+n, let's take n=11 as an example: If you think of 1+2+3+...+11, that is = (11+1) + (10+2) + (9+3) + ... + (6+6) and these terms are all 12 or (n+1). Now, how many these (n+1) terms do you get?

Once you have figured that out, then look at Spivak's first line: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + ...+ (2n - 1)
What can you add to this to make it look like 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...+ (2n - 1) + 2n which you know how to solve?

muscaria said:
for 1+...+n, let's take n=11 as an example: If you think of 1+2+3+...+11, that is = (11+1) + (10+2) + (9+3) + ... + (6+6) and these terms are all 12 or (n+1). Now, how many these (n+1) terms do you get?

You get n amount of n+1? I am sorry I still don't get it

muscaria said:
Once you have figured that out, then look at Spivak's first line: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + ...+ (2n - 1)
What can you add to this to make it look like 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...+ (2n - 1) + 2n which you know how to solve?
I add even numbers

Wumbolog said:
You get n amount of n+1? I am sorry I still don't get it
Ok maybe I should have explained a bit more what I mean and taken n to be an even number. So imagine you have n numbers where n is even, say n = 10 and you're going to add them all up together. So they're all lined up one after the next 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Now you could fold this line (or wrap it) so that the 10 is under the 1, the 9 is under the 2, the 8 is under the 3 etc, like:
1 2 3 4 5
10 9 8 7 6

The point of pairing them this way is because as go to the right in the top line you go +1 whereas as you go to the right in the bottom line you go -1 so that the pairs always add to 11. So now how many pairs of 11 do you get?

Wumbolog said:
I add even numbers

Yes precisely you add even numbers to them and now you sum 1+2+3+...+2n and because you added all those even numbers you have to subtract them also (so that you have effectively added 0 to your equation). How do you think Spivak's term -2(1+2+...+n) is related to what I just said?
Does it make sense?

Wumbolog said:
I had problems with the latex
What problem did you have ?

muscaria said:
Ok maybe I should have explained a bit more what I mean and taken n to be an even number. So imagine you have n numbers where n is even, say n = 10 and you're going to add them all up together. So they're all lined up one after the next 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Now you could fold this line (or wrap it) so that the 10 is under the 1, the 9 is under the 2, the 8 is under the 3 etc, like:
1 2 3 4 5
10 9 8 7 6

The point of pairing them this way is because as go to the right in the top line you go +1 whereas as you go to the right in the bottom line you go -1 so that the pairs always add to 11. So now how many pairs of 11 do you get?
muscaria said:
Yes precisely you add even numbers to them and now you sum 1+2+3+...+2n and because you added all those even numbers you have to subtract them also (so that you have effectively added 0 to your equation). How do you think Spivak's term -2(1+2+...+n) is related to what I just said?
Does it make sense?
Don't do too much of the solution for the OP.

SammyS said:
Don't do too much of the solution for the OP.
Duly noted.

muscaria said:
Does it make sense?

So then I have 1+2+3+4+5+(2n-1)+2n

But when I subtract the sum of 2n which is 2(1+...+n)
the second line is 1+2+3+4+5+2n-2(1+...+n), the odd number (2n-1) somehow disappeared and the number I am supposed to add to get zero -2(1+...+n) is still there

I don't understand

Wumbolog said:

the second line is 1+2+3+4+5+2n-2(1+...+n), the odd number (2n-1) somehow disappeared and the number I am supposed to add to get zero -2(1+...+n) is still there

I don't understand
What do you mean by "the sum of 2n" ?

SammyS said:
What do you mean by "the sum of 2n" ?
I put what I meant, which is 2(1+...+n)

Wumbolog said:

the second line is 1+2+3+4+5+2n-2(1+...+n), the odd number (2n-1) somehow disappeared and the number I'm supposed to add to get zero -2(1+...+n) is still there

I don't understand
Rather than calling this " the sum of 2n " it's much clearer to say something like, " the sum of all even integers from 2 through 2n. "

In Latex that's ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}2i\ ## .

And you have correctly stated that gives ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}i\right)\ ##, so that is ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right) ## .

What is the big sum, 1+2+3+4+5+(2n-1)+2n, i.e. ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{2n}i\ \ ? ##

SammyS said:
Rather than calling this " the sum of 2n " it's much clearer to say something like, " the sum of all even integers from 2 through 2n. "

In Latex that's ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}2i\ ## .

And you have correctly stated that gives ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}i\right)\ ##, so that is ##\displaystyle\ 2\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right) ## .

What is the big sum, 1+2+3+4+5+(2n-1)+2n, i.e. ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{2n}i\ \ ? ##
I can't figure this out, please help. I need a worked example I can refer to

upload_2015-5-9_23-12-32.png

If you understand the results shown above, I think we can get the correct result using a alternative method to Spivak's.

Now consider the sum of the first n odd natural numbers, ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}(2i-1)\ ##.

Split that up into ##\displaystyle\ \sum_{i=1}^{n}(2i)-\sum_{i=1}^{n}(1)\\ ##

What do those last two sums give?

1. What is the Spivak Calculus Summation problem?

The Spivak Calculus Summation problem is a mathematical problem that is commonly found in introductory calculus textbooks. It involves evaluating a summation of terms using various mathematical techniques and concepts.

2. How do you approach solving the Spivak Calculus Summation problem?

To solve the Spivak Calculus Summation problem, it is important to first identify the pattern or rule that the terms follow. Then, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, telescoping, and the properties of summations to simplify the expression and evaluate the sum.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve the Spivak Calculus Summation problem?

Some common techniques used to solve the Spivak Calculus Summation problem include using the properties of summations, such as the distributive and associative properties, as well as algebraic manipulation and substitution. In some cases, concepts from calculus, such as limits and derivatives, can also be used.

4. What are some tips for successfully solving the Spivak Calculus Summation problem?

To successfully solve the Spivak Calculus Summation problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem and identify the pattern or rule that the terms follow. It can also be helpful to write out the first few terms of the summation to see if a pattern emerges. Additionally, practicing with similar problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve problem-solving skills.

5. How can the Spivak Calculus Summation problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Spivak Calculus Summation problem can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the total cost of goods, determining the average rate of change over a period of time, and finding the total amount of interest earned on an investment over time. It can also be used in more complex problems, such as predicting population growth or analyzing data in scientific research.