Spivak - Radioactivity and the Exponential Function

In summary, the problem involves a radioactive substance that diminishes over time at a rate proportional to the amount present. The equation for this is A'(t) = -pA(t), where p represents the probability that an atom will disintegrate in one unit of time. Using this equation, the amount A(t) at time t can be expressed as A(t) = A(0) * e^-pt, where A(0) is the initial amount present at time 0. The value of p should be a positive quantity less than 1, otherwise the amount of substance would increase with time instead of diminishing.
AlwaysCurious

Homework Statement

A radioactive substance diminishes at a rate proportional to the amount present (since all atoms have equal probability of disintegrating, ...). If A(t) is the amount at time t, this means that A'(t)= p * A(t) for some p representing the probability that an atom will disintegrate in one unit of time.

Find A(t) in terms of the amount A(0) present at time 0.

I have solved the problem, and have checked the solutions manual and am correct. However, this at least seems to me to give the wrong physical result. I am definitely wrong here, and am curious why I am wrong.

Homework Equations

just the one mentioned above, A'(t) = p * A(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution:

Rearranging the equation gives A'(t)/A(t) = log(A(t)) ' = p implies that log(A(t)) = p*t + K for some constant K. Then A(t) = exp(pt + K). To find K, we simply plug in t = 0, and K = log(A(0)), or A(0) = exp(K). Then A(t) = A(0) * exp(pt).

Mathematically, I do not see much wrong with this (except for the case where the initial amount is zero). What I am curious about is the formula itself: if the probability is a positive quantity less than 1 (say, 75%), and A(0) is say, one unit of mass, then the amount of substance seems to increase with time, as the function describing the behavior is exp(0.75t), which gets large as t gets large.

Where am I wrong? I certainly am not a crackpot who has "proved math wrong", so I am assuming that I have made a flaw somewhere (and it probably isn't the formula itself, as this is the one given by the book which I trust fairly well).

Physics news on Phys.org
I see the problem - or at least I think I do. The original equation should be A'(t) = -pA(t), because the amount shrinks proportionately to the amount, not grows!

The solution to this new equation is A(0)e^-pt, one that at least I find somewhat beautiful and validates some of the intuition-y characterizations of e as something that involves "continuous self-referential growth".

Or your "p" is a negative number to begin with.

But isn't "p" supposed to be the probability that the particle decays? How could the probability be negative?

Yes, you are right. I had passed over that part of your original post.

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity refers to the process by which unstable atoms release energy in the form of radiation. This radiation can take the form of alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays.

2. What is the exponential function?

The exponential function is a mathematical function in which the input variable is an exponent. This means that the output of the function increases at an increasingly faster rate as the input increases. It is often used to model growth or decay.

3. How are radioactivity and the exponential function related?

The rate at which a radioactive substance decays is proportional to the amount of the substance present. This relationship can be described by the exponential function, with the decay constant being the exponent.

4. What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the substance to decay. This is a constant value for each substance and can be used to predict the rate of decay.

5. How is the exponential function used in nuclear medicine?

In nuclear medicine, radioactive substances are used to diagnose and treat diseases. The rate of decay of these substances can be modeled using the exponential function, allowing for precise measurements and calculations in medical procedures.