Spivak's proof of A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact

In summary, Spivak's proof of "A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact" follows from Corollary 1-6, which states that closed rectangles are compact. Applying this result to the closed rectangle B, we can conclude that it is compact and therefore has a finite subcover. This subcover, along with ℝ^{n}-A, covers B and therefore also covers A. Thus, we can say that A, a closed bounded subset of ℝ^{n}, is compact.
middleCmusic
Spivak's proof of "A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact"

Hi guys,

I'm currently taking a differential geometry course and decided I would read Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, and then move on to his Differential Geometry series. There's a proof in here that feels unjustified to me, so I'm hoping you guys can point out what I'm missing. It's on p. 10 and it reads as follows:

1-7 Corollary. A closed bounded subset of ℝn is compact. (The converse is also true (Problem 1-20).)

Proof. If A[itex]\subset[/itex][itex]ℝ^{n}[/itex] is closed and bounded, then A[itex]\subset[/itex]B for some closed rectangle B. If [itex]\wp[/itex] is an open cover of A, then [itex]\wp[/itex] together with [itex]ℝ^{n}-A[/itex] is an open cover of B. Hence a finite number of [itex]U_1, ..., U_n[/itex] of sets in [itex]\wp[/itex], together with [itex]ℝ^{n}-A[/itex] perhaps, cover B. Then [itex]U_1, ..., U_n[/itex] cover A.

The part in red is the part that I don't understand. How can we jump to saying that a finite number of open sets cover B? Isn't that sort of assuming the result?

(I ask these questions not because I doubt the veracity of Spivak's proof, but because I don't understand it.)

Physics news on Phys.org

In Corollary 1-6, Spivak has already proved that closed rectangles are compact. So he applies the result to B. So since from that result follows that B is compact, it also follows that it has finite subcover.

micromass said:
In Corollary 1-6, Spivak has already proved that closed rectangles are compact. So he applies the result to B. So since from that result follows that B is compact, it also follows that it has finite subcover.

Ah, thank you. I had a feeling I was missing something obvious.

Related to Spivak's proof of A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact

What is Spivak's proof of A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact?

Spivak's proof is a mathematical proof that shows that any closed and bounded subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space is compact. This proof is important in topology and analysis, and it helps to establish the properties of compact sets.

What does it mean for a subset to be closed and bounded?

A closed subset is one that contains all of its limit points. In other words, if a sequence of points in the subset converges, the limit point is also in the subset. A bounded subset is one that has a finite distance between its farthest points.

Why is the proof of A closed bounded subset of R^n is compact important?

This proof is important because it helps to establish the properties of compact sets, which are fundamental in topology and analysis. It also helps to show that closed and bounded subsets have important properties, such as being sequentially compact and having a finite Lebesgue covering dimension.

What are some key steps in Spivak's proof?

The proof involves showing that the closed and bounded subset can be covered by a finite number of open balls of a given radius, and then using the Lebesgue number lemma to show that this subset must be compact. It also involves using the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a subset of R^n is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

Can this proof be extended to other spaces?

Yes, this proof can be extended to other spaces, as long as they have similar properties to n-dimensional Euclidean space. For example, the proof can be extended to closed and bounded subsets of metric spaces or normed vector spaces. However, the specific techniques used in the proof may vary depending on the properties of the space.