Splitting and stepping down voltage

In summary, using an op amp buffer system or a buck converter is the most efficient way to step down voltages. However, this may not be the most efficient or safe option, depending on the current involved.
swuster
I'm currently attempting to design a circuit that can step down an 18.5V lipo battery into independent voltages of 12V and an indeterminate number of 5V lines, which will be powering various pieces of equipment. At this point I'm still pretty much in the early conceptual stages, so I'm not too worried about the precise specifications. What's the best way for me to step down the voltages as efficiently and safely as possible? I was thinking of using an op amp buffer system (LF353 or something similar) or just plain getting a regulator (LM78XX) maybe wiring a capacitor or two in parallel with the output and ground. Unfortunately the 18.5 V to 5V, and even the 18.5 V to 12 V drop are probably way too high and would cause overheating, especially when you take into affect the possibility of an overcharged battery. I could step the power down gradually with multiple regulators but it seems a roundabout solution. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the current involved.

If the system only uses a few tens of milliamps, you can certainly drop voltage down using linear regulators. It is perfectly OK to drop from 18 volts to 5 volts.
However, it is not very efficient as heat will be generated in the regulator and you may need to mount the regulators on heat sinks to get rid of this heat.
They are electrically quiet, though, so they do not generate interference in nearby equipment.

If large currents were involved, you probably need to be looking at bucking switch mode DC-DC power supplies.
Whether the extra efficiency warrants the extra circuit complexity and cost is something you will need to weigh up.

swuster said:
I'm currently attempting to design a circuit that can step down an 18.5V lipo battery into independent voltages of 12V and an indeterminate number of 5V lines, which will be powering various pieces of equipment. At this point I'm still pretty much in the early conceptual stages, so I'm not too worried about the precise specifications. What's the best way for me to step down the voltages as efficiently and safely as possible? I was thinking of using an op amp buffer system (LF353 or something similar) or just plain getting a regulator (LM78XX) maybe wiring a capacitor or two in parallel with the output and ground. Unfortunately the 18.5 V to 5V, and even the 18.5 V to 12 V drop are probably way too high and would cause overheating, especially when you take into affect the possibility of an overcharged battery. I could step the power down gradually with multiple regulators but it seems a roundabout solution. Any suggestions?

Google or Wiki "buck" DC-DC converter circuits. Or go to Maxim, National Semiconductor, Linear Technology, etc., and do a search. Any of those will get you in the ballpark.

Related to Splitting and stepping down voltage

1. What is splitting and stepping down voltage?

Splitting and stepping down voltage is the process of reducing the voltage of an electrical circuit to a lower value. This can be achieved by using a transformer or a voltage divider circuit.

2. Why is splitting and stepping down voltage necessary?

Splitting and stepping down voltage is necessary in various electrical applications where a lower voltage is required for safety or compatibility reasons. It allows higher voltage power sources to be used without risking damage to sensitive equipment or posing a safety hazard.

3. How is voltage split and stepped down?

Voltage can be split and stepped down using a transformer, which uses electromagnetic induction to reduce the voltage. Another method is using a voltage divider circuit, which consists of resistors that divide the voltage proportionally.

4. What are the advantages of splitting and stepping down voltage?

Splitting and stepping down voltage has several advantages, including increasing safety by reducing the risk of electrical shock, providing compatibility with different devices, reducing power loss, and allowing for longer transmission distances.

5. Are there any drawbacks to splitting and stepping down voltage?

One potential drawback of splitting and stepping down voltage is the added cost and complexity of using transformers or voltage divider circuits. Additionally, the process can also introduce some power loss, although this can be minimized with proper design and maintenance.