Splitting Comet Momentum Problem Solutions

• Thread starter kariibex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, we have a comet splitting into two pieces with equal angles of 20° relative to the original trajectory, where one piece is 5 times the mass of the other. Using the equations P = mv and P total before = P total after, we can calculate the mass of each piece to be 1000 kg and 5000 kg respectively. The impulse of the system can be found using the equation Impulse = ΔP, and the velocities of the two pieces can be calculated using vector equations. By setting the two equations equal to each other and using substitution, we can solve for the velocities of the two pieces.
kariibex

Homework Statement

A comet of mass 6000 kg traveling at 30 000 m/s splits into two pieces that move apart with velocities that make equal angles of 20° relative to the original trajectory. If one piece is found to be 5 times the mass of the other...calculate the mass of each piece, find the impulse of the system, and calculate the velocities of the two pieces.

Homework Equations

P = mv
P total before = P total after
Impulse = ΔP

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass 1 = 1000 kg and Mass 2 = 5000kg

i assumed that mass one traveled 20° above the horizontal, while mass two traveled 20° below the horizontal.

So;

P before = mv = (6000kg)(30 000 m/s) = 1.8 x 10^8 kg m/s [+x]

P1 after = m1v1 = 1000v1 kg m/s [+x 20° +y]
P1 after X = 1000(v1) kg m/s cos20° = 939.69(v1) [+x]
P1 after Y = 1000(v1) kg m/s sin20° = 342.02(v1) [+y]

P2 after = m2v2 = 5000v2 kg m/s [+x 20° -y]
P2 after x = 5000(v2)cos20° = 4698.46(v2) [+x]
P2 after y = 5000(v2)sin20° = 1710(v2) [-y]

Vector Equations
x: 1.8 x 10^8 kg m/s = 939.69(v1) + 4698.46(v2)
y: 0 = 342.02(v1) - 1710(v2)

I'm not sure how to solve for the velocities at this point, any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two equations, two unknowns...

gneill said:
Two equations, two unknowns...

I'm allowed to use substitution even though they're in different axis?

kariibex said:
I'm allowed to use substitution even though they're in different axis?

Yup. V1 and V2 are independent variables that appear in both equations and must have the same values in each!

gneill said:
Yup. V1 and V2 are independent variables that appear in both equations and must have the same values in each!

Ahh! Thank you so much :)

Related to Splitting Comet Momentum Problem Solutions

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically, the product of its mass and velocity.

2. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv.

3. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What are some common units for momentum?

Momentum can be measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s) or in newton-seconds (N·s).

5. How can I solve momentum problems?

To solve momentum problems, use the formula p = mv and make sure to pay attention to the direction of the momentum, as it is a vector quantity. Also, remember to include the units in your final answer.