Splitting/Exploding object & Momentum

In summary: Note that this is not what happened here, but it illustrates that it's conceptually possible.Yes, that can happen. Consider e.g. if the explosion had been exactly enough to halt the smaller mass. It would have lost all its KE as a result, while the larger mass would have gained KE. Note that this is not what happened here, but it illustrates that it's conceptually possible.In summary, the conversation involves a free falling object of mass "m" colliding with the floor at a speed of 20 m/s, splitting into two pieces upon reaching half of its initial height. The velocity of the object right before the split is 14.14 m/s. The velocity of the smaller object (¼
Deadawake
Hi,

Homework Statement

A free falling object of mass "m" falling from some height, collides the floor in speed of 20 m/s (perfectly elastic collision). In his 1/2 height back up he splits into 2 pieces- ¼m which going downward and ¾m keeping upward. The ¼m reaching the floor after ½ second.
1) What is the object velocity right before the split?
2) What is the velocity of the small object (¼m) right after the split?
3) What is the velocity of the big object (¾m) right after the split?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used conservation of energy to solve the first question. the initial height is 20.4m. it means the splitting point happened at 10.2m.
mgh = ½mv2 , v= 14.14 m/s

Now I'm looking on the second question, because I know the falling time I can use kinematic equation.
0 = 10.2 +v0t +½at2
-10.2 = 0.5v0 + ½⋅(-9.8) ⋅0.52
-7.55 = 0.5v0
v0 = -17.95

To figure out the big object velocity I used the coservation of momentum and here is where I got stuck

if a already have a negative velocity which determine the direction should I add a minus sign to the conservation of momentun equation too?
-¼mv0 + ¾mV0 = m⋅14.14
here when I put into the equation the negative velocity of v I get V0 = 12.87

in the other hand , with positive momentum :
+¼mv0 + ¾mV0 = m⋅14.14

I get V0 = 24.83

For some reason I think the first equation answer is more logical , It doesn't make sense that the ¾m accelarated too much after the split.
But it feels wrong when I get negative velocity and in the momentum equation I need to add negative sign as well .The negative velocity will do it anyway, won't it?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Deadawake said:
It doesn't make sense that the ¾m accelarated too much after the split.
But it makes even less sense that it moves more slowly after the split.
Deadawake said:
should I add a minus sign to the conservation of momentun equation too?
Certainly not. The conservation equation does not care whether the values to be plugged in are positive or negative, the equation remains the same.

haruspex said:
But it makes even less sense that it moves more slowly after the split.

Certainly not. The conservation equation does not care whether the values to be plugged in are positive or negative, the equation remains the same.

Thanks. If it doesn't care about the values inside why it gives me different answers ?

Deadawake said:
Thanks. If it doesn't care about the values inside why it gives me different answers ?
Because you changed the sign in the algebraic equation. The equation, as an algebraic statement, is the same whether the values are positive or negative.
If you have an equation x+y=z, and you are told x=-1, that does not change the equation to be -x+y=z.

haruspex said:
Because you changed the sign in the algebraic equation. The equation, as an algebraic statement, is the same whether the values are positive or negative.
If you have an equation x+y=z, and you are told x=-1, that does not change the equation to be -x+y=z.

Thanks a lot.
Is it logical that after the explosion/splitting the bigger mass has more kinetic energy than the smaller mass? this is what I got here and it also doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Deadawake said:
Is it logical that after the explosion/splitting the bigger mass has more kinetic energy than the smaller mass?
Yes, that can happen. Consider e.g. if the explosion had been exactly enough to halt the smaller mass. It would have lost all its KE as a result, while the larger mass would have gained KE.

1. What is splitting/exploding an object?

Splitting or exploding an object refers to the process of breaking apart or separating a single object into multiple pieces. This can occur due to various factors such as force, impact, or chemical reactions.

2. How does splitting/exploding an object affect its momentum?

Splitting or exploding an object can affect its momentum by changing its mass or velocity. When an object splits into smaller pieces, its overall mass decreases, which in turn affects its momentum. Additionally, if the explosion or splitting causes the object's velocity to change, its momentum will also be affected.

3. Can a splitting/exploding object have momentum?

Yes, a splitting or exploding object can have momentum. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and even if the object breaks apart or explodes, its smaller pieces will still have mass and velocity, thus having momentum.

4. How is momentum conserved in a splitting/exploding object?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning that the total momentum before and after the splitting or explosion of an object will be the same. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. Therefore, if an object splits or explodes, the momentum of the smaller pieces will add up to the original momentum of the whole object before splitting.

5. Can the momentum of a splitting/exploding object be calculated?

Yes, the momentum of a splitting or exploding object can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. However, since the object will split into smaller pieces with varying velocities, the momentum of each individual piece will need to be calculated separately and then added together to determine the total momentum of the original object.