Splitting photons are entangled?

In summary, photons cannot be split, but they can undergo downconversion in a BBO crystal, resulting in two entangled photons. However, there are other methods for creating entangled photons, such as using an OPO or parametric scattering, which do not involve crystals. These methods rely on parametric processes and do not involve actual absorption and reemission of the original photon.
ice909
I'm sorry if this is a silly question and please forgive me but, if you split photons into two by any medium or matter can it entangle photons? Do the photons have to go through a beta barium borate crystal or any other crystals? Are there any alternatives to split photons? Please provide good info and please no negative comments. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'splitting photons'? Photons are never 'split'. Downconversion, occurring at BBO crystal is not a 'split': the photon just excites the crystal, which then emits pair of photons.

what i mean is that when a photon goes in the crystal, it splits right? what I am asking is that can i do parametric downconversion on any other medium or matter and can it split with that option? i don't have anything in mind, I am just curious.

here is the source where i got the information about splitting photons:

http://www.davidjarvis.ca/entanglement/quantum-entanglement.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Photons do not 'split'. What happens in BBO is that original photon is absorbed, and two brandly new photons are emitted.
BBO crystal is not the only means (but most common for practical purposes of experiments in optical range) to create entangled photons.

For example: if the positronium annihilates into two gamma photons - they are also perfectly entangled.

so, I am guessing that there is no other option to entangle photons. last question, do we have to use crystals to do parametric downconverison or is there a alternative, if so why?

xts said:
Photons do not 'split'. What happens in BBO is that original photon is absorbed, and two brandly new photons are emitted.

Strictly speaking they are not absorbed and reemitted. As this is a parametric process there is virtual absorption at best and no real absorption. A more solid description is given when examining the polarization arising inside the non-linear medium which is basically the eigenstate of the em field inside that medium. As the polarization contains non-linear response the possibility for sum- or difference frequency generation opens up and one can get down-conversion.

ice909 said:
so, I am guessing that there is no other option to entangle photons. last question, do we have to use crystals to do parametric downconverison or is there a alternative, if so why?

Ehm, as xts already said there are other possibilities. You could also use other parametric processes like the output from an OPO. Also there are schemes that rely on parametric scattering to generate entangled particles, especially in polariton systems.

What are split photons and how are they entangled?

Split photons refer to a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a single particle of light is divided into two separate particles. These two particles are then entangled, meaning their properties are correlated and the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other.

Can photons be split and entangled on purpose?

Yes, scientists have developed ways to split photons and entangle them intentionally. This process involves using specialized equipment and techniques such as quantum optics and entanglement sources.

What is the significance of splitting photons and entanglement?

Splitting photons and entanglement have significant implications in the field of quantum computing and communication. Entangled photons can be used to create secure communication channels and perform complex calculations that are not possible with classical computers.

How are split photons and entanglement being studied and utilized in research?

Scientists are conducting experiments to better understand the properties of split photons and how they can be harnessed for practical applications. This includes studying the behavior of entangled photons in various environments and developing new technologies to manipulate them.

Is there a limit to how many times photons can be split and entangled?

There is currently no known limit to how many times photons can be split and entangled. However, as the number of particles in an entangled system increases, the complexity of studying and manipulating them also increases. Therefore, there may be practical limitations to how many times photons can be split and entangled in a controlled manner.