Splitting vectors into Components

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of vectors and vector components in a general physics class. The speaker mentions understanding how to solve problems using this method, but not understanding why it works. They also suggest that general problems should be placed in the maths section rather than the homework help section. The idea of using vectors to describe the real world is also brought up, with the example of an object's acceleration being described as a vector. The speaker concludes by stating that the reason behind using math to describe the natural world is still unknown.
ninfinity
I suppose this is less of a "help me with a problem" question than a question asking why something happens. All semester I have been working with vectors and vector components in my general physics class. I understand how to do it and how to solve a complex problem using this method. What I don't understand, however, is why this works. I would really appreciate some insight into this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
General problems should really go in the maths section, rather than the homework help section.

If you want to know exactly how vectors relate to the real world, you could be asking a very deep and complex (and philosophical) question.

In general though vectors give magnitude and direction (using trig to find angles etc), and most real world values are actually vectors. Mass of an object is a scalar, but its acceleration is best described as a vector since both the magnitude and direction of acceleration are important for describing the object.

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = m[itex]\vec{a}[/itex]

So we get a vector describing the force on an object, and as you said we split the vector up into its component parts to allow us to solve equations more easily. Why can we describe the natural world using maths, no one knows yet.

Related to Splitting vectors into Components

1. What is the purpose of splitting vectors into components?

Splitting vectors into components allows us to break down a vector into its vertical and horizontal components, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving vectors.

2. How do you split a vector into its components?

To split a vector into its components, we can use trigonometry and the given angle of the vector. The vertical component can be found by multiplying the vector's magnitude by the sine of the angle, and the horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle.

3. Can a vector be split into more than two components?

No, a vector can only be split into two components: a vertical and a horizontal component. This is because the two components are perpendicular to each other and represent the two main directions of a vector.

4. How do we use vector components to solve problems?

By splitting a vector into its components, we can use basic trigonometry and vector addition to solve problems involving vector quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. This allows us to break down a complex vector problem into simpler components and solve them individually.

5. Is there a difference between splitting vectors into components and breaking down vectors?

No, splitting vectors into components and breaking down vectors refer to the same process. Both terms describe the act of separating a vector into its vertical and horizontal components.