Spotting Comet NEOWISE with Naked Eyes: A Spectacular Visual Experience!

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary: It's a tougher one than I expected. I could not see it naked eye, but found it with binoculars and through a camera:In summary, it was cloudy all night and the forecast said that it would be mostly clear, but Jupiter wasn't visible. At 12:15, I took down the scope because the sky had become mostly cloudy.
gmax137 said:
plus the tail is pointing the wrong way, isn't it? last week it was "head down"
It depends on the time of day. The test is if you can convince yourself that the tail is pointing away from the Sun.
I saw it a few weeks ago and it was very bright and low in the sky . No tail visible in the dying sun. I thought it was a very short con trail but it stayed the same for many minutes and light clouds moved by it. I took some photos of it for future reference and then saw the same image from someone else. So I knew it was right .The other day I saw it again but more like a classic comet. (Pointing in the Sun’s direction

Likes gmax137
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
It depends on the time of day. The test is if you can convince yourself that the tail is pointing away from the Sun.
I saw it a few weeks ago and it was very bright and low in the sky . No tail visible in the dying sun. I thought it was a very short con trail but it stayed the same for many minutes and light clouds moved by it. I took some photos of it for future reference and then saw the same image from someone else. So I knew it was right .The other day I saw it again but more like a classic comet. (Pointing in the Sun’s direction
Exactly, that is what I found in my case too. It stayed the same for many minutes too and didn't look like a plane to me

gmax137 said:
last week it was "head down"
It's been in the sky for most of the day for highish latitudes and it (of course) rotates around North and is lower declination than the big dipper. Depending when you see it and where (Longitude) you view it from, the comet and the dipper can be 'above' or 'below' Polaris so the tail can be pointing in any direction relative to the horizon - in the general direction of 'away from Polaris'.
If you were in the same place and more or less the same time, you would expect the tail to point in a similar direction. But that image doesn't seem to show a tail so perhaps there was some other effect stretching the head. One poor image I got, showed a hint of 'dots'. Atmospheric?

iVenky said:
It stayed the same for many minutes too

Only many minutes ? not 20 mins or 30 mins " ?

Seriously, it does not look like the comet or any comet
and as someone else said above, way too bright for a just after sunset sky like that

99.99% probability that is was an aircraft contrail being lit up bu the sun that was then over your horizon

Dave

davenn said:
Only many minutes ? not 20 mins or 30 mins " ?

Seriously, it does not look like the comet or any comet
and as someone else said above, way too bright for a just after sunset sky like that

99.99% probability that is was an aircraft contrail being lit up bu the sun that was then over your horizon

Dave
so there's still a 0.01% probability that it was the comet? :-p

DennisN said:
Gosh, that's such an amazing photo! I have trouble grasping how you were able to capture all those stars in the same photo. I.e. I thought the comet was too bright for that.

I think of it as 'dynamic compression', similar to Dolby noise reduction methods, that happens when I start with a 32-bit stacked image and then compress it to 16-bit 3-channel image and finally an 8-bit/channel jpeg.

Likes DennisN
iVenky said:
so there's still a 0.01% probability that it was the comet? :-p

NO

the stacking program I use just added a 'comet stacking' patch, so I re-stacked the images used for post #19 to give this (scaled down 50%):

Result of NEOWISE_7_17-mod-lpc-cbg-St_filtered.tif (RGB)-1.jpg

I think this version looks better.

• Wow
Likes Tom.G, russ_watters, sophiecentaur and 2 others
DaveC426913 said:
Well, clouds near the horizon put the kibosh on seeing NEOWISE, but we did get treated to a spectacular 6 minute passage of the ISS at mag -2.7.

Too bad my camera's longest shutter speed is 15 seconds.

Here it is about to enter Ursa Major (click for full size):
View attachment 266562

I don't see a comet in that pic, just a plane/satellite

Likes sophiecentaur
davenn said:
Agreed. It is too uniform to be a 'tail' and the movement relative to the stars (trail) should be undiscernible.
Andy Resnick said:
the stacking program I use just added a 'comet stacking' patch,
That (terrific) image of Andy's shows the amount of relative motion; the stacking ignored the stars and froze the comet. What was the total time for the session? (I guess I should be able to work it out. :rolleyes:)

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Did you (and sophie) read my post? :bugeye:

Likes sophiecentaur and Motore
DaveC426913 said:
Whoops. How embarrassing.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, what did I miss ?

ohhh I mis-read hahahah ... old age and senility are my excuses

oops, sorry

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
davenn said:
Yes, what did I miss ?
He told us there was no comet! o:)

I think it's time for our bedtime cocoa drink from the Matron.

Likes DaveC426913 and davenn
sophiecentaur said:
He told us there was no comet! o:)

I think it's time for our bedtime cocoa drink from the Matron.
read my post ;)

yeah we both missed the mark on that one haha

sophiecentaur said:
That (terrific) image of Andy's shows the amount of relative motion; the stacking ignored the stars and froze the comet. What was the total time for the session? (I guess I should be able to work it out. :rolleyes:)

Thankls! Total integration time was about 500 seconds.

Andy Resnick said:
Thankls! Total integration time was about 500 seconds.
That far in eight minutes! Not hanging around then.