Spotting Errors in Transverse & Longitudinal Accelerations

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between a particle's velocity and acceleration vectors and how they can be split into longitudinal and transverse components. The formulas for the longitudinal and transverse masses were also derived using the dot product. The conversation also mentioned an error in one of the formulas and referenced the Wikipedia page on 4-acceleration for further assistance.
greswd
Let's say you know all 3 cartesian components of a particle's velocity and all 3 for it's acceleration.

You can split the acceleration vector into two vectors, one parallel (longitudinal) to the velocity vector and one perpendicular (transverse) to the velocity vector.

Then, I found the x-components of both acceleration vectors in terms of the 6 variables listed at the start. That would be the component of each acceleration vector parallel to the x-axis. I used the dot product to derive it.

As you can see below, I multiplied the transverse-x acceleration component by gamma and the longitudinal-x acceleration component by gamma cube. These are the formulas for the longitudinal and transverse masses.

I can get a formula for the x-component of the Force.
errors.png
In order to get the second formula, I differentiated the x-component of the 3-momentum with respect to time.
I expected both equations to be equivalent, but try as I might, I can't make them equal.Can you help me spot the error(s) in my formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, it didn't help me at all.

Anyway, I've discovered my careless mistake. It is supposed to be multiplied, not divided, by gamma cube for the second equation.

1. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal acceleration?

Transverse acceleration refers to the change in speed or direction of an object perpendicular to its current motion, while longitudinal acceleration refers to the change in speed or direction in the same direction as the object's motion.

2. How do you spot errors in transverse and longitudinal accelerations?

One way to spot errors is by comparing the calculated values of acceleration with the expected values based on the object's motion. If there is a significant difference, there may be an error in the calculation.

3. What factors can affect transverse and longitudinal accelerations?

The mass and shape of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it, can affect both transverse and longitudinal accelerations. Friction, air resistance, and gravity are also factors to consider.

4. What are some real-world applications of transverse and longitudinal accelerations?

Transverse and longitudinal accelerations are important in fields such as engineering, physics, and transportation. They are used in designing vehicles, analyzing motion in sports, and understanding the effects of forces on structures.

5. How can we use transverse and longitudinal accelerations to improve safety?

By understanding the accelerations acting on an object, we can design safety measures to prevent accidents. For example, in car crashes, the transverse and longitudinal accelerations can be reduced by using seatbelts and airbags to protect the occupants.