Deriving relationship between LVDT and mass spring damper

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a linear accelerometer and a linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) used to measure external acceleration. The dynamic equation for the system is derived and the relationship between the voltage output of the LVDT (V) and the external position (x1) is shown to be V = Gx1, where G is the transfer function for the LVDT. Assumptions are made about the system's damping force and the potential effects of the mass hitting the stopper. There is also a discussion about the frequency dependence of the LVDT transfer function and its limitations.
wu_weidong

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have this system below.
ogyi3m.png

It is the schematic of a linear accelerometer moving horizontally, where m is the total mass of the slide, b denotes the viscous damping, and k represents the spring constant. The relative position between the moving mass and the case is measured by a linear variable differential transformer (LVDT).

How do I derive the dynamic equation describing the relationship between V, the voltage output of the LVDT, and x1 , the external position, and show that V indeed can be used to measure the external acceleration? I'm supposed to also state any assumptions made and any possible problems and remedies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the mass spring damper system has the equation mx1'' + bx1' + kx = 0, and the moving core that is pulled by the mass spring damper system will induce a voltage in the LVDT. If I was given a transfer function for the LVDT, G, then I have V = Gx1. But I don't know how to link the 2 concepts together to derive the relationship.

As for the assumptions, I would say the damping force is constant, i.e. the case is smooth. I'm wondering how the mass hitting the stopper will affect the system. Should it be made of rubber to absorb the impact and to minimize the shock wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
wu_weidong said:
If I was given a transfer function for the LVDT, G, then I have V = Gx1. But I don't know how to link the 2 concepts together to derive the relationship.
?
You just stated the relationship: V = Gx1.
As for the assumptions, I would say the damping force is constant, i.e. the case is smooth.
I hope so, otherwise you're in for it!
I'm wondering how the mass hitting the stopper will affect the system. Should it be made of rubber to absorb the impact and to minimize the shock wave?
If the mass hits the stop you no longer have an accelerometer. Not until it leaves the stop again.
With any such accelerometer you have to deal with the fact that x1'' is not available; you get something like x1''exp(-at)sin(ωt + φ). As you know if you solved for x1 then took the 2nd time derivative.

More fun: is the LVDT transfer function really dynamics-free? I.e. is G really free from frequency dependence? Your LVDT is excited by an ac voltage, typically 400 Hz in aircraft or 60 Hz at home, so this alone limits the bandwidth. Then there's the question of what happens even if the excitation frequency is high enough to ignore it: if you apply a step inductance change by step-moving the core, will you get an immediate step response in V?

1. How does an LVDT affect the behavior of a mass spring damper system?

The LVDT (Linear Variable Differential Transformer) is a type of sensor that measures the displacement of an object. In the case of a mass spring damper system, the LVDT can be used to measure the displacement of the mass as it oscillates due to the forces of the spring and damper. This information can then be used to analyze the behavior of the system and determine its response to different inputs.

2. What is the mathematical relationship between an LVDT and a mass spring damper system?

The relationship between an LVDT and a mass spring damper system is described by the equations of motion for a spring-mass-damper system. These equations take into account the displacement of the mass, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the damper. The LVDT provides a way to measure the displacement of the mass, which is then used in these equations to analyze the system's behavior.

3. Can an LVDT be used to control the behavior of a mass spring damper system?

Yes, an LVDT can be used as a feedback sensor to control the behavior of a mass spring damper system. By measuring the displacement of the mass, the LVDT can provide information to a controller that can adjust the inputs to the system, such as the stiffness of the spring or the damping coefficient of the damper, in order to achieve a desired response.

4. How does the accuracy of an LVDT affect the accuracy of the analysis of a mass spring damper system?

The accuracy of an LVDT can have a significant impact on the accuracy of the analysis of a mass spring damper system. If the LVDT is not precise in measuring the displacement of the mass, the resulting data used in the equations of motion will also be inaccurate, leading to incorrect analysis and predictions of the system's behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using an LVDT to study the relationship between a mass spring damper system?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an LVDT to study the relationship between a mass spring damper system. One limitation is that the LVDT can only measure linear displacement, so it may not be suitable for systems with non-linear behavior. Additionally, the LVDT may have limitations in measuring very small or very large displacements, depending on its specific design and capabilities.