Spring damper system equation of motion

In summary: The amplitude is reduced to 1 mm or below when the damping coefficient is 100 N.s/m. The stiffness of the spring is k=20000 N/m.
btnsteve

Homework Statement

A 10 kg block is displaced 20 mm and released. If damping coefficient is 100 N.s/m,
how many cycles will be executed before amplitude is reduced to 1 mm or below? The stiffness
of the spring is k=20000 N/m.

f0zs77.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first moved the mass to the inner radius and equated the Kinetic Energy of the system.
Ke1 = Ke2
Where i found m2 is 4m1

Next i equated the kinetic energy of the system and equated that to :
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]*m[itex]_{eq}[/itex]*v[itex]^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]*m[itex]_{2}[/itex]v[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\frac{V^{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]* m[itex]_{eq}[/itex]*v[itex]^{2}[/itex]
meq = m2 + [itex]\frac{I}{r^{2}}[/itex] where m2is 4*m1

I then substituted the numbers in and found Meq= 190

Next to find the amplitude i found the damping ratio of the system
[itex]\zeta[/itex] =[itex]\frac{c}{Cc}[/itex]

Cc = 2*m*Wn
Wn = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{K}{M}}[/itex]
Wn= [itex]\sqrt{\frac{20000}{190}}[/itex] Wn = 10.26
Cc = 2(190) * (10.26) = 3899 ∴ [itex]\zeta[/itex] = [itex]\frac{100}{3899}[/itex]
[itex]\zeta[/itex] = 0.0256
Under damped system E.O.M =
X(t) = e[itex]^{-\zeta*W_{n}*t}[/itex] { x[itex]_{o}[/itex]Cos(w[itex]_{d}[/itex]t) + [itex]\frac{x^{.}+W_{n}*X_{0}}{w_{d}}[/itex]*Sin(w[itex]_{d}[/itex]t) }
I'm trying to find the t value that would make X(t) be less than 1mm, I'm not sure how i would do that without just picking random values of t, as the equation doesn't seem solvable just for t.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you move the mass to the inner radius and what is m2?
Anyway:
I'm trying to find the t value that would make X(t) be less than 1mm, I'm not sure how i would do that without just picking random values of t, as the equation doesn't seem solvable just for t.
Could the Q factor help you there?

I moved the mass to the inner radius i guess to simplify the system, honestly not sure, its the way I've been taught this semester to do it.

So if i had the original system the mass would be M1
But now I've moved it to the inner radius The mass is now M2
For it to still be the same [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]M1*V1[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]M2*V2[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Where V1 = [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]2r
Where V2 = [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]r
Therefore
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]M1*([itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]2r[itex])^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]M2*([itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]r)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
Through Cancelling 4M1 = M2

I'm not sure what the Q factor is

Still not 100% sure on this Q factor, hard to see how it applies without an example.

Q = [itex]\frac{1}{2\zeta}[/itex]
Q = [itex]\frac{1}{2*0.0256}[/itex] Q = 19.53

Q = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]*[itex]\frac{Energy Stored}{Energy Lost Per Cycle}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q}{2\pi}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{Energy Stored}{Energy Lost Per Cycle}[/itex]

3.11 = [itex]\frac{Energy Stored}{Energy Lost Per Cycle}[/itex]

Can you give a hint at what the next step would be, would i find the energy at the start? By using
T(t) + V(t) = E, Where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential, i guess at t = 0 there is no kinetic energy.

Therefore [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]kx[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = E(0)

How does the energy relate to the amplitude of the oscillations?

Well as the energy is lost the amplitude decreases starting off at a maximum I guess, so there must be a time where the amount of energy lost means the amplitude falls below 2mm, i mean if I multiply both sides by 3.18 I get that 3.18 x energy lost per cycle = energy stored, at first I thought that meant it oscillates for 3.18 cycles but thst seems too little when the damping is that small. I guess directly the potential energy at the start is converted into kinetic energy so energy is somewhat proportional to velocity squared so if I could find velocity I could find the time through equation of motion.

steve2510 said:
Well as the energy is lost the amplitude decreases starting off at a maximum I guess, so there must be a time where the amount of energy lost means the amplitude falls below 2mm,
Which means that you need to know how the amplitude related to the energy ... i.e. is it an inverse-square law?

so energy is somewhat proportional to velocity squared so if I could find velocity I could find the time through equation of motion.
You can do it more directly using potential energy ... all the kinetic energy ends up stored in the spring, and the energy stored in a spring is related to how far it is compressed ... which is what you want to know about.

When the amplitude is 2mm, then the system has lost a certain percentage of amplitude ... which relates to a certain percentage of energy, and you have an equation for the rate of energy loss with time.

You should check the extent of the damping though - is this underdamped, critically damped, what? And what does that mean for the general motion?

1. What is a spring damper system equation of motion?

A spring damper system equation of motion is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring and a damper, subject to an external force. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems.

2. How is the equation of motion derived?

The equation of motion for a spring damper system is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to the forces acting on the mass in a spring damper system, we can derive an equation that relates the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the mass.

3. What are the variables in the equation of motion for a spring damper system?

The variables in the equation of motion for a spring damper system include the mass of the object, the spring constant (k) of the spring, the damping coefficient (c) of the damper, the displacement (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) of the mass, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the spring constant and damping coefficient affect the equation of motion?

The spring constant and damping coefficient play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the system. The spring constant determines how stiff the spring is and affects the frequency of oscillations, while the damping coefficient determines the amount of resistance to motion and affects the rate at which the system returns to its equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-world applications of the spring damper system equation of motion?

The spring damper system equation of motion is used in a variety of fields, including mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering, to model and analyze the behavior of systems such as car suspensions, building structures, and electrical circuits. It is also used in physics experiments to study the motion of objects subjected to external forces.