Spring: does it have mass or is it massless?

In summary, the effective mass of a spring-mass system is the sum of the mass of the spring and the mass of the hanging object divided by 3.
TjGrinnell
Homework Statement
A spring has a spring constant of 10.0 N/m. I suspend a mass of 0.250 kg from the spring and set it in motion with an amplitude of 3.50 cm. I measure the period of the motion to be 1.15 s.
Is the spring massless? How do you know? If it is not massless, what is its effective mass?
If I suspend a mass of 0.500 kg from the spring and set it in motion with an amplitude of 2.75 cm, what will the period be?
Relevant Equations
F=-kx
T=2pi*sqrt(m/k)
I can easily do the second problem if only I knew the answer to the first. I am just not sure how I would go about figuring out if the spring has mass or not. And if it does, how would I calculate that mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the spring in the question were massless, what would the period of the motion be?

Likes TjGrinnell
etotheipi said:
If the spring in the question were massless, what would the period of the motion be?
Ok... I was definitely trying to over complicate this. So to get the mass of the spring I would just have to solve for m and subtract the .250 kg mass, is this right? 1.15=2pi*sqrt(m/10)

It's the right idea, unfortunately life is a little bit more complicated. The effective mass of a spring-mass system if ##M## is the mass of the hanging object and ##m## is the mass of the spring is ##M + \frac{m}{3}##.

That is to say that the time period of a spring-mass system where the spring has mass ##m## is $$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{M+\frac{m}{3}}{k}}$$

Likes TjGrinnell
etotheipi said:
It's the right idea, unfortunately life is a little bit more complicated. The effective mass of a spring-mass system if ##M## is the mass of the hanging object and ##m## is the mass of the spring is ##M + \frac{m}{3}##.

That is to say that the time period of a spring-mass system where the spring has mass ##m## is $$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{M+\frac{m}{3}}{k}}$$
I see, I really appreciate the help.

Likes etotheipi
If you're interested, you can find a proof of it here.

The analysis in Wiki makes the tacit assumption that the deformation of the spring is homogeneous. Otherwise, the displacement distribution along the spring is much more complicated, and described by the wave equation.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
So when they ask for the "effective mass", do they want m or m/3 ?

Likes etotheipi
Merlin3189 said:
So when they ask for the "effective mass", do they want m or m/3 ?

I believe the effective mass of the spring is termed ##\frac{m}{3}##, as opposed to the real mass of the spring ##m##. I suppose you're right in that we could've answered the question without knowing how this term related to the actual mass!

My mistake for not reading the question carefully enough 😁

Likes Merlin3189
No criticism intended -1 :wink:
I didn't remember the m/3 and had just thought the rest of question might be answered with an additional mass added to the actual mass. I wondered if that's what they meant by effective mass.

Likes etotheipi

1. Does a spring have mass?

Yes, a spring does have mass. This is because it is made up of materials such as metal or plastic which have their own mass. However, the mass of a spring is typically very small and difficult to measure.

2. Is a spring considered to be massless?

No, a spring is not considered to be massless. While it may appear to be weightless when stretched or compressed, it still has its own mass which contributes to the overall weight of the object it is attached to.

3. How does the mass of a spring affect its behavior?

The mass of a spring can affect its behavior in several ways. A heavier spring will require more force to stretch or compress, while a lighter spring will require less force. Additionally, the mass of a spring can affect its natural frequency and how it responds to external forces.

4. Can the mass of a spring be changed?

Yes, the mass of a spring can be changed by altering the material it is made of or by adding or removing weight from the spring. However, this can also affect its behavior and performance.

5. Is the mass of a spring important in scientific experiments?

Yes, the mass of a spring is an important factor in many scientific experiments. It can affect the accuracy and reliability of results, and must be taken into consideration when designing and conducting experiments.