Spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the user's laptop was working properly until today morning, but starting this evening they started getting spurious lines from MS edge. Chrome is displaying black screens. After searching online for a solution, the user found a thread suggesting they roll back their device drivers for graphic cards. After doing so, everything returned to normal.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I own a HP Probook 450 G6, with Windows 10 Professional. The laptop was working properly till today morning. Now, when I started it this evening, I started getting spurious lines from MS edge. Chrome is displaying complete black screens.

IMG-20191017-WA0013.jpg

PF from MS Edge

IMG-20191017-WA0011.jpg

Gmail from Chrome

IMG-20191017-WA0009.jpg

PF from Chrome

IMG-20191017-WA0010.jpg

While using search option from task bar.

I restarted several times, cleared cache, prefetch and temp folders, but without any luck. I just can't accept that the PC was running fine this morning, and maybe within 12 hours, these problems started. Malwarebytes and Windows security report a clean system without any virus.

Please help.

Attachments

• IMG-20191017-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20191017-WA0012.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 295
Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you need to upgrade video device drivers?

I know a few years back an Ubuntu update broke my video until 6 mos later they fixed the issue. Basically they dropped support for some driver and so the default driver took over but it didn't support the right features. I had to fall back to an earlier kernel release to recover until the fix came through.

Tom's hardware has some info:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-lines-across-screen.2685678/
You might find more info searching via "diagonal lines in screen display windows 10"

I don't think that's a video problem.

Those diagonal lines aren't spruious - they match the boxes created in HTML.

This suggests it has more to do with the browser than the hardware or drivers.

1571329957884.png

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks for your input, @jedishrfu and @DaveC426913. The fact that the lines appeared even in start menu indicated that this might not be a browser-specific problem. I was frantically searching for a solution, and chanced upon this thread:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...y-screen/a7ccaeca-50c5-41d3-8963-6c8ef7d5d702The advice given there was to roll back device drivers for graphic cards. I have two graphic cards - Intel and Nivida. Right-clicking the start menu, there is an option "Device Manager". From there, I rolled back the two device drivers, and Voila! Everything returned to normal.

Likes jedishrfu
Interesting glitch. Never seen that before. Gives a little bit of a peak into how the Desktop Windows Manager compositor maps image buffers onto quads and then gpu breaks them into triangles.

Likes Wrichik Basu and jedishrfu

1. What causes spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro?

There are several potential causes for spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro. It could be due to a software or driver issue, a faulty graphics card, or a hardware problem with the display itself.

2. Can a virus or malware be responsible for spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro?

While it is possible for a virus or malware to cause display issues on a computer, it is unlikely to be the sole cause of spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro. It is important to run a thorough virus scan to rule out any potential threats, but the issue is more likely related to hardware or software problems.

3. How can I troubleshoot and fix spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro?

The first step in troubleshooting this issue is to check for and install any updates for your graphics card and operating system. If that does not solve the problem, try updating or reinstalling the display driver. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the graphics card or monitor.

4. Is there a way to prevent spurious diagonal lines and black screens from occurring on Win 10 Pro?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent these display issues from occurring, regularly updating your graphics card driver and performing routine maintenance on your computer, such as cleaning out dust and debris, can help reduce the likelihood of encountering this problem.

5. Can spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro be a sign of a larger issue with my computer?

In most cases, spurious diagonal lines and black screens on Win 10 Pro are not indicative of a larger issue with the computer. However, if the problem persists after trying various troubleshooting methods, it may be a sign of a more serious hardware problem that should be addressed by a professional technician.