Square matrix and its transpose satisfying an equation

In summary, the homework statement is that if a square matrix A satisfiesA3 + 4A2 -2A + 7I = 0then so does AT.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

Show that if a square matrix A satisfies

A3 + 4A2 -2A + 7I = 0
Mod note: It took me a little while to realize that the last term on the left is 7I, seven times the identity matrix. The italicized I character without serifs appeared to me to be the slash character /.

then so does AT

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I notice is that for any n x n matrix A and powers thereof, the diagonals of A and the transpose are the same. I experimented with a 2 x 2 matrix (with entries a, b, c, d), squared and cubed to see what happens and the result, aside from being somewhat messy, ends with each matrix reducing to I when appropriate row operations are applied. I'm not sure how to proceed from here or if I'm even on the right track with this thinking. Please assist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Anoobis said:

Homework Statement

Show that if a square matrix A satisfies

A3 + 4A2 -2A + 7I = 0

then so does AT

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I notice is that for any n x n matrix A and powers thereof, the diagonals of A and the transpose are the same. I experimented with a 2 x 2 matrix (with entries a, b, c, d), squared and cubed to see what happens and the result, aside from being somewhat messy, ends with each matrix reducing to I when appropriate row operations are applied. I'm not sure how to proceed from here or if I'm even on the right track with this thinking. Please assist.

You are thinking about this too hard. Just take the transpose of both sides of that equation. For example, what is ##(A^3)^T## in terms of ##A^T##.

Dick said:
You are thinking about this too hard. Just take the transpose of both sides of that equation. For example, what is ##(A^3)^T## in terms of ##A^T##.
Damn. I really should have seen that, unbelievably simple. Of course , hindsight is always 20/20. Thanks.

1. What is a square matrix?

A square matrix is a matrix with an equal number of rows and columns. It is represented by a square arrangement of numbers or variables inside brackets.

2. What is a transpose of a matrix?

The transpose of a matrix is a matrix in which the rows and columns of the original matrix are interchanged. It is represented by a superscript "T" next to the original matrix.

3. How do you determine if a square matrix and its transpose satisfy an equation?

To determine if a square matrix and its transpose satisfy an equation, you can simply substitute the values of the matrix and its transpose in the given equation and see if it holds true.

4. What does it mean for a square matrix and its transpose to satisfy an equation?

For a square matrix and its transpose to satisfy an equation, it means that when the values of the matrix and its transpose are substituted into the equation, the equation holds true. This shows a special relationship between the matrix and its transpose.

5. Can a square matrix and its transpose satisfy any type of equation?

No, a square matrix and its transpose can only satisfy certain types of equations, specifically those that involve matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. They cannot satisfy equations involving non-matrix operations like division or exponentiation.