Stable stranglets of A > 1000?

• Thread starter jerich1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stable
In summary, stranglets with a mass of over 1000 protons can potentially be stable at ordinary temperatures and pressures, but this is not widely accepted. If they were positively charged, they would not pose a threat to normal matter due to coulomb effects. Additionally, there is some speculation that strangelets may have electrons orbiting them, but it is uncertain if they would chemically react with normal matter. As for their use in alloys, there is currently no evidence or research to support this idea.
jerich1000
So far I've read enough articles to believe that stranglets with a mass of greater than the equivalent of 1000 protons can be stable at ordinary tempertures and pressures.

Assuming the strangelet is positively charged, there is no threat to normal matter due to coulumb effects.

I've also read that strengelets can (or must?) have electrons orbiting them.

If so, what's to stop one of those strangelets from sitting on my desk here? Are they inert? Do they not chemically react with normal matter?

If I had 10^50 of them sitting in a bucket could I alloy them with anything, similar to how Carbon is alloyed with iron to make steel?

Physics news on Phys.org
jerich1000 said:
So far I've read enough articles to believe that stranglets with a mass of greater than the equivalent of 1000 protons can be stable at ordinary tempertures and pressures.
That's not generally believed to be true.

If strangelets were stable, they'd be positively charged, so they would be repelled by ordinary nuclei, which prevents the doomsday scenario where normal nuclear matter gets turned into strange matter when a single strangelet interacts with it.

Some papers:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0205089
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0505584
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-ex/0511047
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9910471

Related to Stable stranglets of A > 1000?

What are stable stranglets of A > 1000?

Stable stranglets of A > 1000 are theoretical subatomic particles that are made up of strange quarks and have an atomic mass number (A) greater than 1000. These particles are predicted to be stable and could potentially exist in the universe.

How are stable stranglets of A > 1000 different from other subatomic particles?

Stable stranglets of A > 1000 are different from other subatomic particles in that they are composed of strange quarks, which are heavier than the quarks that make up protons and neutrons. They also have a much larger mass number, making them significantly larger than other particles.

Can stable stranglets of A > 1000 be created in particle accelerators?

Currently, there is no evidence that stable stranglets of A > 1000 can be created in particle accelerators. The conditions required for their formation are not yet achievable with current technology.

What implications would the existence of stable stranglets of A > 1000 have on our understanding of the universe?

If stable stranglets of A > 1000 were to be discovered, it would challenge our current understanding of the stability of subatomic particles and could lead to new theories about the composition of matter in the universe. It could also have implications for the study of dark matter and the early universe.

How are scientists searching for evidence of stable stranglets of A > 1000?

Scientists are searching for evidence of stable stranglets of A > 1000 through experiments in particle accelerators and by studying the remnants of high-energy collisions in space. They are also using theoretical models and simulations to predict the properties of these particles and their potential effects on the universe.