Stained Glass Problem: Why Are Low Energy Wavelengths Absorbed?

• B
  • Thread starter Daniel Petka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, glass appears transparent because the light does not have enough energy to excite the electrons to the next energy level. Blue stained glass works because the blue light does not have enough energy to excite the electrons, while red and green light are absorbed. Low energy wavelengths are being absorbed by certain substances in the glass, such as Cobalt Oxide. The principle behind red glass is more complex, involving the use of Gold to manipulate the light in a different way.
Daniel Petka
Glass is transparent because the light doesn't have enough energy to get the electrons to the next energy level. But how does blue stained glass work? Does the blue light have too much energy to excite the electron in comparison to red and green that get absorbed? Why are the low energy wavelengths being absorbed? Is there another principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually a difficult one to find an answer. Starting with how glass is transparent (see the video)
If the photon does not excite the electron, then it passes through. It briefly talks about how some materials may absorb some energy levels (wavelengths) but not others. So some colors would pass through unabsorbed. There is another video (I will try to find it) which shows how certain substance glow under ultraviolet light. So what is happening there, the ultraviolet light (which we cannot see) excites the electron by more than one level, but then it goes back down to an intermediate level (emitting visible light) before returning to ground state.

I am assuming that red light excites it more than one level, then it falls back down and the intermediate step is infrared.

Thanks

Btw the vid doesn't explain why blue photons pass through blue stained glass and red photons don't.

Daniel Petka said:
Btw the vid doesn't explain why blue photons pass through blue stained glass and red photons don't.
Of course it does, just using a different color filter. Blue photons don't have enough energy to take the electrons in blue glass to the next level, so they are not absorbed. Red photons do have enough energy to do that and so are absorbed.

Despite the fact that photons don't have a color (but rather affect a color sensation in a human eye), "blue" photons are more energetic than "red" ones ;-).

Likes davenn
It is not like "photons above a certain energy are absorbed because they have enough energy", it is more like when he was talking about light not going through a wall, I think. If the red light is energetic enough to excite some "easy" electrons up two levels, for example. But then maybe on the way back "down" they stop at the intermediate level (emitting an infrared level photon). Then they go back to ground state and maybe another infrared photon.

I am not sure if this is exactly how it works or not, but that is what I am thinking. It seems hard to find any information detailing "why" certain atoms (or crystal structures) absorb 1 "color" and not another, but just remember that if the electron is excited, it will eventually go back to ground state, emitting a photon, but not necessarily in the same direction.
Also, it is common to excite more than one level then go back down in intermediate levels. This is how a black light (high energy UV photons) makes certain materials appear to glow. We cannot see the UV rays, but we see the lower energy photons which are emitted by the intermediate stages.

phinds said:
Of course it does, just using a different color filter. Blue photons don't have enough energy to take the electrons in blue glass to the next level, so they are not absorbed. Red photons do have enough energy to do that and so are absorbed.

What?? I thought blue photons have MORE energy than red photons.

Daniel Petka said:
What?? I thought blue photons have MORE energy than red photons.
Damn. You're right of course. I clearly wasn't paying attention to what I was saying.

Daniel Petka said:
Glass is transparent because the light doesn't have enough energy to get the electrons to the next energy level. But how does blue stained glass work? Does the blue light have too much energy to excite the electron in comparison to red and green that get absorbed? Why are the low energy wavelengths being absorbed? Is there another principle?

Blue glass is typically made by adding Cobalt Oxide, which absorbs in the red:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01330a010

Hence, blue light passes through.

Red glass is tricky- that uses Gold, but the mechanism is not absorption/transmission exactly (AFAIK)- it's more complicated:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v407/n6805/full/407691a0.html

Likes nasu

1. What is the "Stained Glass Problem"?

The "Stained Glass Problem" refers to the phenomenon of low energy wavelengths, such as infrared and ultraviolet light, being absorbed by stained glass windows. This can result in a loss of vibrant colors and a darkening of the glass over time.

2. Why are low energy wavelengths absorbed by stained glass?

This is due to the chemical composition of the glass itself. Stained glass is made up of different metallic oxides, which act as colorants. These oxides have electrons that are easily excited by low energy wavelengths, causing them to absorb the light and appear darker.

3. Can this problem be prevented?

While it cannot be completely prevented, there are measures that can be taken to slow down the process. One option is to apply a protective coating on the glass, which can help block out harmful wavelengths. Additionally, controlling the amount of exposure to sunlight can also help preserve the colors of stained glass.

4. Is there a solution to this problem?

Research is currently being conducted to find a solution to the "Stained Glass Problem." One potential solution is the use of nanotechnology to create a protective layer on the glass that can selectively filter out harmful wavelengths while still allowing visible light to pass through.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to the "Stained Glass Problem"?

Yes, there are several other factors that can contribute to the fading and darkening of stained glass. These include pollution, humidity, and temperature changes. All of these factors can accelerate the chemical reactions that lead to the absorption of low energy wavelengths.