Standard corrections to GFE for uni and bi molecular rxns

In summary, in a multi-step mechanism there will be a sign change in RT*ln(RT) depending on whether the step is a unimolecular or bimolecular reaction.
Einstein Mcfly
Hello everyone. I have a weird question regarding the calculation of free energy changes in a multi-step mechanism. Now, if you have a bunch of calculated free energies in gas phase at 1 atm (say, from an electronic structure program) and you want to model in solvent, you need to get them in a 1M standard state and this requires adding an additional term RT*ln(RT). Now, if every step in your mechanism is either unimolecular or bimolecular, there will be no change in the concentration of anything as the total number of moles of things will all stay constant and these corrections will all cancel when you calculate the delta Gs. However, if you have some mixing of them, such as
1) AB--> A +B
2) B+C->D
etc.
then in the first case you've added a mole and in the second case you've removed a mole. Therefore, when I calculate the delta G for these steps, the sign of RT*ln(RT) should be positive in the first case and negative in the second case, correct? You won't get cancellation when you calculate the delta Gs and these corrections will tweek things by three or so kcal/mol. Am I on the right track here or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How can you predict the sign of delta G only by counting moles on the reactant side and product side?

Sorry, I'm not talking about getting the sign of delta G, I'm talking only about the correction in going from 1 atm to 1M. In that case delta G is the difference between the Gs at STP plus the difference between the correction terms for each G. Clearly the effect of the correction term will be zero if one mole goes to one mole or two moles go to two moles, but what about one mole going to two (as in A-->B+C) or two going to one (C+D-->F)?

I just want to make sure that I'm correct about when the correction term will figure in (that is, not cancel out).

1. What is a GFE and why is it important in molecular reactions?

A GFE, or Gibbs free energy, is a measure of the amount of energy available for a chemical reaction to occur. It takes into account both the enthalpy and entropy of the system. In molecular reactions, the GFE helps determine whether a reaction is spontaneous or requires energy input.

2. What are standard corrections to GFE for uni and bi molecular reactions?

Standard corrections to GFE refer to adjustments made to the calculated GFE value to account for non-ideal conditions, such as non-standard temperature or non-ideal concentrations of reactants. These corrections ensure that the GFE accurately reflects the true energy available for the reaction.

3. How are standard corrections to GFE calculated?

The standard corrections to GFE are calculated using the Van't Hoff equation, which takes into account the temperature dependence of the GFE. The equation includes a correction factor, known as the standard state correction, which adjusts for non-ideal concentrations of reactants in the solution.

4. Do these corrections differ for uni and bi molecular reactions?

Yes, the standard corrections to GFE do differ for uni and bi molecular reactions. In uni molecular reactions, the standard state correction is based on the concentration of the reactant molecule, while in bi molecular reactions, it is based on the concentration of both reactant molecules.

5. Can standard corrections to GFE affect the outcome of a reaction?

Yes, standard corrections to GFE can have a significant impact on the outcome of a reaction. If the corrections are not properly accounted for, the calculated GFE may not accurately reflect the true energy available for the reaction, leading to incorrect predictions of spontaneity or energy requirements.