Standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions

In summary: It was my pleasure to assist you. In summary, the wave equation can be solved using separation of variables and with the given initial and boundary conditions, it is possible to obtain a standing wave solution. The first boundary condition only sets D=0, while the second boundary condition gives k. The initial condition can be treated as an absolute value equation to ensure that all values are above y=0.
Isow

Homework Statement

"Solve the wave equation with the following initial conditions and boundary conditions."

2Y/∂x2 = 1/v2 * ∂2Y/∂t2

Boundary conditions:
∂Y/∂x(x=0, t)=0 and Y(x=L,t)=0

Initial Conditions:
∂Y/∂t(x, t=0) = 0
Y(x,t=0) = δ(x-L/2)

Homework Equations

Using separation of variables:

Y(x,t) = X(x)*T(t)

X(x) = C*cos(kx/L) + D*sin(kx/L)
T(t) = E*cos(wt) + F*sin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm relatively familiar with this process but I have a couple of hangups relating to these specific initial conditions. First, the requirement that the partial of y with respect to x=0 at all times t (first boundary condition) seems, to me, to make a wave impossible. It gives D=0 AND C=0 OR k=0, but of course all of these are unsatisfactory solutions.

More analytically, it seems that requiring the slope to always be 0 at x=0 is really restricting that piece of the wave from moving. I'm just not sure how to handle it.

Moving past that though (I assumed y(x=0,t)=0 as my first boundary condition giving C=0), I'm also not sure how to handle the initial condition. The initial condition equation, x-L/2, has an integral of 0 when integrated from 0 to L. This makes sense since the expression has equal area above and below y=0, but I still don't know how to handle it in terms of getting an actual solution.

Just thinking out loud as I type this, does the delta in the expression indicate that I should be treating it as an absolute value equation so that all of it is forced to be above y=0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isow said:

Homework Statement

"Solve the wave equation with the following initial conditions and boundary conditions."

2Y/∂x2 = 1/v2 * ∂2Y/∂t2

Boundary conditions:
∂Y/∂x(x=0, t)=0 and Y(x=L,t)=0

Initial Conditions:
∂Y/∂t(x, t=0) = 0
Y(x,t=0) = δ(x-L/2)

Homework Equations

Using separation of variables:

Y(x,t) = X(x)*T(t)

X(x) = C*cos(kx/L) + D*sin(kx/L)
T(t) = E*cos(wt) + F*sin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm relatively familiar with this process but I have a couple of hangups relating to these specific initial conditions. First, the requirement that the partial of y with respect to x=0 at all times t (first boundary condition) seems, to me, to make a wave impossible. It gives D=0 AND C=0 OR k=0, but of course all of these are unsatisfactory solutions.

More analytically, it seems that requiring the slope to always be 0 at x=0 is really restricting that piece of the wave from moving. I'm just not sure how to handle it.

Moving past that though (I assumed y(x=0,t)=0 as my first boundary condition giving C=0), I'm also not sure how to handle the initial condition. The initial condition equation, x-L/2, has an integral of 0 when integrated from 0 to L. This makes sense since the expression has equal area above and below y=0, but I still don't know how to handle it in terms of getting an actual solution.

Just thinking out loud as I type this, does the delta in the expression indicate that I should be treating it as an absolute value equation so that all of it is forced to be above y=0?
The Boundary condition, ∂Y/∂x(x=0, t)=0, only makes D = 0 with no restriction on C.
The other Boundary condition gives you k .

It's a standing wave. Right?

What are the conditions at nodes and at anti-nodes?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks, that was exactly what I needed! I realized the first boundary condition only set D=0, but I erroneously was thinking that the second boundary condition gave C=0 when, in fact, you're right: it gives k.

I then applied the second initial condition in terms of absolute value, which I think is the correct way to go about it, and everything worked out.

Thanks again!

edit: and yes, it's a standing wave.

Isow said:
Hey, thanks, that was exactly what I needed! I realized the first boundary condition only set D=0, but I erroneously was thinking that the second boundary condition gave C=0 when, in fact, you're right: it gives k.

I then applied the second initial condition in terms of absolute value, which I think is the correct way to go about it, and everything worked out.

Thanks again!
You're very welcome.

Related to Standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions

1. What is a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions?

A standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions refers to a type of wave that forms when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This interference creates a wave pattern that appears to be standing still, hence the name standing wave. The specific initial/boundary conditions refer to the specific starting points or boundaries of the medium in which the wave is traveling.

2. How is a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions different from other types of waves?

A standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions is different from other types of waves, such as traveling waves, because it does not transfer energy from one point to another. Instead, the energy of the wave remains confined to the region between the two waves and oscillates back and forth between them. The amplitude of the standing wave remains constant, while the amplitude of traveling waves decreases as they travel.

3. What are the requirements for a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions to form?

In order for a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions to form, two waves with the same amplitude and frequency must travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. The medium in which the wave is traveling must also have boundaries or fixed endpoints, such as a string tied to two fixed points or air trapped in a closed tube. Additionally, the wavelength of the two waves must be such that they cancel each other out at certain points and reinforce each other at others.

4. What are some examples of standing waves with specific initial/boundary conditions?

Some common examples of standing waves with specific initial/boundary conditions include sound waves in closed pipes, such as in a flute or organ, and electromagnetic waves in transmission lines. Other examples include vibrations in stretched strings, such as in a guitar or piano, and seismic waves in the Earth's crust.

5. How are the nodes and antinodes of a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions determined?

The nodes and antinodes of a standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions are determined by the specific initial/boundary conditions and the wavelength of the two interfering waves. Nodes are points where the two waves cancel each other out, resulting in zero amplitude, while antinodes are points where the two waves reinforce each other, resulting in maximum amplitude.