Standing waves on a string -- Find the difference of phases

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \Delta \varphi = k(\Delta x) and its application in determining the phase difference between two points on a string. The equation works for standing waves, with nodes spaced at half a wavelength and a phase difference of pi between two consecutive nodes. The conversation also mentions the difference between standing and traveling waves.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I will post below.
Relevant Equations
I am not sure, since i am wrong with my equation.
1599353361990.png

The immediate thing i did here is
## \Delta \varphi = k(\Delta x) ##
Interesting enough for a topic, if you use this equation you end up wrong like me, the answer is not D.
Not sure what is the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a section of the string between two nodes. Consider any two points of the string in this section. How would you describe the phase difference of the motion of these two points?

TSny said:
Consider a section of the string between two nodes. Consider any two points of the string in this section. How would you describe the phase difference of the motion of these two points?
The nodes are spaced by a half of the wavelength, that is, pi rad?
As the equation implies:
$$ k\Delta x = \frac{2\pi }{\lambda }*\frac{\lambda }{2} $$
In this case the equation work :/

• Wow
Likes LCSphysicist
TSny said:
Identify two consecutive nodes in the following animation. Pick any two points of the string lying between these two nodes. What can you say about the phase difference of the motion of the two points?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave#/media/File:Standing_wave.gif
Wow, now i get... the difference if pi...
I think i was applying equation of traveling wave for standing waves, right?

LCSphysicist said:
Wow, now i get... the difference if pi...
Good.
I think i was applying equation of traveling wave for standing waves, right?
Yes.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What are standing waves on a string?

Standing waves on a string are a type of wave pattern that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a stationary pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) along the string.

2. How do standing waves on a string form?

Standing waves on a string form when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a stationary pattern of nodes and antinodes along the string. The waves must have the same frequency and amplitude in order for the standing wave pattern to form.

3. What is the difference in phase between the two waves in a standing wave?

The difference in phase between the two waves in a standing wave is 180 degrees, or half a wavelength. This means that the crest of one wave aligns with the trough of the other wave, creating a stationary pattern.

4. How can the difference in phase be calculated for standing waves on a string?

The difference in phase can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the distance between two consecutive nodes. This will give you the phase difference in radians. To convert to degrees, multiply by 180 and divide by π.

5. What are some real-life applications of standing waves on a string?

Standing waves on a string have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and violins. They are also used in non-destructive testing to detect flaws in materials, and in telecommunications to transmit signals through fiber optic cables. Additionally, they are studied in physics and engineering to better understand wave behavior and properties.