Star Calculator (Excel spreadsheet)

In summary, Kristoffer is new and has created a spreadsheet in MS Excel to compare star data. He is seeking help and has provided a link to a screenshot and the functions of the spreadsheet. Some known problems include longer loading times for older computers. The link provided is to Kristoffer's personal webserver and he assures that there is no virus in the file, which is a spreadsheet with macros.
HerrÅberg
Hello my name is Kristoffer and I am new here :)
I have made a spreadsheet in MS Excel to compare star-data and need some help try it out. Testing.
This filesize is about 15 mb (4,5mb zip-packed)

I have not taken any astronomy class or something like that. So I am not 100% sure the formulas I've made (looking them up on the internet) are correct. I have not set any password on thiss spreadsheet, feel free to use it how you want.

I hope you like this sheet.

Screenshot:
http://kumlabunkern.no-ip.com/annat/files/star.jpg

Some of the functions:

> Bayer, Flamesteed, HD, Propper names included
> Search function
> Compare star data
> HR-diagram
> Downscale distances
> Travel to the stars function
> Move stars function
> Add star to database function
> Edit database

- Bayer/Flamesteed Name
- Short name
- HD catalogue name
- Variable
- Binary
- Visible Magnitude
- Distance
- Right Accencion
- Declination
- Spectral type(s)
- Absolute Magnitude
- Bolometric Magnitude
- Absolute Visual Magnitude
- Luminosity
- Bolometric Luminosity
- Color/Startype
- Mass
- Radii
- Volume
- B-V Color index

Some known problems:

If you have an old computer you can suffer some loadingtimes when calculating all data.

URL: http://kumlabunkern.no-ip.com/annat/files/star_calculator_2.0.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
How about a link to a page which doesn't download something? What if the zip file is a virus? Can we trust you?

That link goes to my personal webserver @ http://kumlabunkern.no-ip.com/annat/
There is no virus in the file. Its a spreadsheet compressed as a zip-file. You can trust me :)
The file contains some macros, for sorting constellations, adding stars etc
If you don't want the macros, you can just turn it off.
But as I said, no viruses!
// Kristoffer Åberg, Kumla, Sweden

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Star Calculator and how does it work?

Star Calculator is an Excel spreadsheet tool that allows users to calculate the distance and brightness of stars. Users can input the star's name, distance in light years, and apparent magnitude to get information about the star's absolute magnitude and luminosity. The spreadsheet uses standard astronomical equations to perform these calculations.

2. Can Star Calculator be used to calculate the distance of any star?

Yes, Star Calculator can be used to calculate the distance of any star as long as the star's name, distance in light years, and apparent magnitude are known. However, for stars that are too far away, the calculations may not be accurate due to uncertainties in the measurements.

3. Are the results from Star Calculator reliable?

Yes, the results from Star Calculator are reliable as long as the input data is accurate. The spreadsheet uses standard astronomical equations and calculations, so the results are based on scientific principles. However, it is always important to double-check the data and calculations for any potential errors.

4. Is Star Calculator suitable for professional use?

Star Calculator can be used by both professionals and amateurs in the field of astronomy. However, it is important to note that the spreadsheet may not have all the advanced features and capabilities that are available in professional astronomical software. It is best to use Star Calculator as a basic tool for quick calculations and estimations.

5. Is Star Calculator available for free?

Yes, Star Calculator is available for free and can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet. However, please note that the spreadsheet may have limitations and may not be regularly updated. Users should also keep in mind that the accuracy of the calculations may depend on the reliability of the input data.