Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi (upcoming)

In summary: Rey was not.The plotline of Ep8 will be Luke training (or rather re-training) her in the ways of the Jedi while she helps him overcome his guilt and shame from point #2. At some point in the movie there will be a scene where Luke says something along the lines of "after all I've taught you, I think the lesson you've taught me is the greatest of all."
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Ok, the next Star Wars, Episode 8, is named "The Last Jedi" and here is a brand new teaser, the first I think.
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Arriving in your galaxy December 15."

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
Luke needs Prozac.

Likes russ_watters and DennisN
8UtZKTw.jpg

Likes DaveC426913, russ_watters, ISamson and 3 others
Algr said:
Luke needs Prozac.

The man's been through some rough times...
I think he'd settle for his hand back.

Likes russ_watters and DennisN
I think Luke is implying that the Jedi system isn't adequate. They certainly blew it when Palpatine took over. Didn't see that coming at all.

Likes Drakkith
My take on Ep.8:

1. Rey has some sort of special connection to Luke. IDK if she's his daughter, niece, other relative, star pupil, whatever.
2. The reason Luke went into hiding is because when Kylo Ren started slaughtering his students he sacrificed them to save Rey due to whatever point #1 turns out to be and he's deeply ashamed of himself for doing so.
3. This is the reason Rey can use advanced Jedi techniques in Ep7 without training. She's had the training but for her own sake Luke blocked her memories of it to protect her. When she had the flashback scene with the lightsaber that block began to wear down, and she's subconsciously remembering her abilities.
4. The plotline of Ep8 will be Luke training (or rather re-training) her in the ways of the Jedi while she helps him overcome his guilt and shame from point #2. At some point in the movie there will be a scene where Luke says something along the lines of "after all I've taught you, I think the lesson you've taught me is the greatest of all."

20 bucks, and I have to be right on all 4 to win.

On a final note, given that Kylo Ren is just Jacen Solo with a cool lightsaber, if he appoints Rey "Sword of the Jedi" I'm going to start laughing hysterically in the theatre.

Regardless of what happens, I still cannot wait.

Although I really hope the cheese is kept to a minimum.

Ren is a double agent.

Last edited:
Likes XZ923
Minor spoiler warning: Behind the camera stuff, promo photos, some new characters... you have been warned.
Can you resist? You don't know the power of the Preview...

Article: Cover Story: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Definitive Preview (Vanity Fair, May 24)

Video: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - On Set Exclusive | Vanity Fair (May 24)

Likes Drakkith
More teasing, and minor spoiler warning, some more behind the camera stuff:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Behind The Scenes

XZ923 said:
My take on Ep.8:

1. Rey has some sort of special connection to Luke. IDK if she's his daughter, niece, other relative, star pupil, whatever.
2. The reason Luke went into hiding is because when Kylo Ren started slaughtering his students he sacrificed them to save Rey due to whatever point #1 turns out to be and he's deeply ashamed of himself for doing so.
3. This is the reason Rey can use advanced Jedi techniques in Ep7 without training. She's had the training but for her own sake Luke blocked her memories of it to protect her. When she had the flashback scene with the lightsaber that block began to wear down, and she's subconsciously remembering her abilities.
4. The plotline of Ep8 will be Luke training (or rather re-training) her in the ways of the Jedi while she helps him overcome his guilt and shame from point #2. At some point in the movie there will be a scene where Luke says something along the lines of "after all I've taught you, I think the lesson you've taught me is the greatest of all."

20 bucks, and I have to be right on all 4 to win.

On a final note, given that Kylo Ren is just Jacen Solo with a cool lightsaber, if he appoints Rey "Sword of the Jedi" I'm going to start laughing hysterically in the theatre.

Rey is not Luke's daughter or related to him in any way shape or form (by blood anyway). And she's never been to Luke's academy. Kylo himself said so in the movie:"she's strong in the force. Untrained but stronger than she knows." If Rey had been at Luke's school then Kylo would have told Snoke that. And the very first time her and Ben Solo ever met was in Takodana Woods when he captured her. We know for a fact Ben was a student there so the fact that they never met before then, out and out, means Rey was never there.

Rey getting dumped on Jakku had nothing to do with the academy massacre at all. She was abandoned there ten years before it happened. And if Luke could see something like that would happen he wouldn't just save his "daughter" and let all his other students die. He would try to save them all. And I'm sure he could come up with a better plan than leaving his five year old child in the middle of a harsh and unscrupulous planet, fending for herself with no one else looking out for her. If Luke did just one of these things, let alone both, he would be the worst dad of all time and would instantly be the villian of The Last Jedi.

I have no idea who Rey is but I'm 99.9% sure she isn't Lukes. More than likely her lineage lies on the dark side. And I'm somewhat sure it is someone(s) who are already a pre-existing character.

Heisenburgundy Gold said:
Rey is not Luke's daughter or related to him in any way shape or form (by blood anyway). And she's never been to Luke's academy. Kylo himself said so in the movie:"she's strong in the force. Untrained but stronger than she knows." If Rey had been at Luke's school then Kylo would have told Snoke that. And the very first time her and Ben Solo ever met was in Takodana Woods when he captured her. We know for a fact Ben was a student there so the fact that they never met before then, out and out, means Rey was never there.

Rey getting dumped on Jakku had nothing to do with the academy massacre at all. She was abandoned there ten years before it happened. And if Luke could see something like that would happen he wouldn't just save his "daughter" and let all his other students die. He would try to save them all. And I'm sure he could come up with a better plan than leaving his five year old child in the middle of a harsh and unscrupulous planet, fending for herself with no one else looking out for her. If Luke did just one of these things, let alone both, he would be the worst dad of all time and would instantly be the villian of The Last Jedi.

I have no idea who Rey is but I'm 99.9% sure she isn't Lukes. More than likely her lineage lies on the dark side. And I'm somewhat sure it is someone(s) who are already a pre-existing character.

I respectfully disagree. You're basing everything on Kylo Ren not knowing who Rey is. The Star Wars saga is replete with Force-users not knowing each other. Darth Sidious ran the Republic for years, regularly interacting with the Jedi Council, and no one knew who he was. And in case the response to that is "he was shrouded by the dark side", Darth Vader had Leia in his personal custody for most of Ep.4 and never managed to figure out she was strong in the Force, let alone his own daughter. Given that Vader was so wildly off on Leia's identity, it stands to reason a dark-side user who is less than Vader (which Ren himself openly admits; he's constantly worrying that he'll never be as strong as Vader) could get Rey's identity wrong.

To me the key is in the flashback scene where a cloaked figure with an artificial hand puts something into R2. The artificial hand is the same one we see on Luke at the very end when he pulls the hood from his face. The obvious conclusion is that the cloaked figure is Luke and he's putting the map in R2. Throughout the movie, R2 remains silent (in low-power mode but not off) no matter who approaches him, until Rey shows up. Then he "wakes up" and reveals Luke's location. To me the implication is that Luke wanted Rey-Rey specifically-to find him, and he probably trusted the Force with the timing. That means there is some sort of previous, very strong connection between the two. I freely admit the idea that Luke left her on Jakku was a bit of a leap, but he was left on a very similar world and he turned out alright. Note that in the scene where Rey is left on Jakku there are other people around, so Luke didn't just drop her in the desert. What happened to those people is unknown. This would also explain why she has no last name; are getting ready for a "there...is...another...sky...walk...er" reveal?

I am interested to hear your theory on how Rey is able to use advanced techniques with no training. No one, not even the Chosen One himself, had that sort of ability. She may have incredible power, but the techniques are learned. To me there's only two possible ways this happens. 1: horrifically bad writing; 2: she already knows them, she just doesn't know she knows them. Like riding a bike, to use the old adage.

But hey, I thought Daenerys was going to marry Jaime Lannister, so I have a bad track record of these things.

XZ923 said:
I respectfully disagree. You're basing everything on Kylo Ren not knowing who Rey is. The Star Wars saga is replete with Force-users not knowing each other. Darth Sidious ran the Republic for years, regularly interacting with the Jedi Council, and no one knew who he was. And in case the response to that is "he was shrouded by the dark side", Darth Vader had Leia in his personal custody for most of Ep.4 and never managed to figure out she was strong in the Force, let alone his own daughter. Given that Vader was so wildly off on Leia's identity, it stands to reason a dark-side user who is less than Vader (which Ren himself openly admits; he's constantly worrying that he'll never be as strong as Vader) could get Rey's identity wrong.

To me the key is in the flashback scene where a cloaked figure with an artificial hand puts something into R2. The artificial hand is the same one we see on Luke at the very end when he pulls the hood from his face. The obvious conclusion is that the cloaked figure is Luke and he's putting the map in R2. Throughout the movie, R2 remains silent (in low-power mode but not off) no matter who approaches him, until Rey shows up. Then he "wakes up" and reveals Luke's location. To me the implication is that Luke wanted Rey-Rey specifically-to find him, and he probably trusted the Force with the timing. That means there is some sort of previous, very strong connection between the two. I freely admit the idea that Luke left her on Jakku was a bit of a leap, but he was left on a very similar world and he turned out alright. Note that in the scene where Rey is left on Jakku there are other people around, so Luke didn't just drop her in the desert. What happened to those people is unknown. This would also explain why she has no last name; are getting ready for a "there...is...another...sky...walk...er" reveal?

I am interested to hear your theory on how Rey is able to use advanced techniques with no training. No one, not even the Chosen One himself, had that sort of ability. She may have incredible power, but the techniques are learned. To me there's only two possible ways this happens. 1: horrifically bad writing; 2: she already knows them, she just doesn't know she knows them. Like riding a bike, to use the old adage.

But hey, I thought Daenerys was going to marry Jaime Lannister, so I have a bad track record of these things.

Well, I pointed to Kylo saying she is untrained to show Rey wasn't at Luke's school. So if she did have Force training it was not at the academy. For that matter, JJ Abraham, himself, said, they never even met until Takodana Woods, when Kylo captured Rey. And he also said Rey never met Leia until TFA.

Rey was only left with Unkar Platt. He was the one, in the flashback, saying "hush now child." Unkar was not really watching it for Rey and is a heartless and cold man who did not really care about the girl. I don't think Luke would leave any child behind in his "care." Rey was pretty much on her own on Jakku having to scrap and claw for every bit of food and shelter she could get because Platt didn't do anything for her unless he got something for it.

I admit the flashback is a big clue. But there are so many avenues it could take I cannot even begin to boil down what clues it's pointing towards. I have heard some theories so I will add them on when I can gather them.

I touched upon, in another thread, why Rey is so affluent with the force; there's a popular theory going around that would totally explain why Rey was so good with using her powers so fast...she formed a Force Bond with Kylo Ren during the interrogation scene. For those of you who don't know what that is it is the Star Wars equivalent to The Vulcan Mind Meld. When two force users form one they have instant access to each other's thoughts, memories, and skills. It totally explains why Rey was able to do he high level force powers in less than a day because Kylo already knew that stuff and she was tapping into his mind.

The only time Rey ever used her powers was while Kylo was using it on her or afterwards:

She read his mind while he was in the middle of probing hers. Then halfway through she's able to do it just a well as he does.

When she tried to use the Jedi Mind Trick she struggled her first couple times until Kylo starting marching back to the room to get her. The closer and closer he got the more confident and better she got at it (the closer the two are together the more powerful thebond).

After Kylo force blasted her she was able to use telekinesis like a pro. It was alreadyestablished at the beginning Ben wasexceptional with this power when he frozePoe and his blast simultaneously with noeffort whatsoever.

And during their climatic duel Rey was over matched by Ben until he came out of nowhere and offered to be his teacher. Then she closed her eyes and tapped into the force. Afterwards she became a saber virtuoso whose style mimicked Ben's to a tee. She even started walking like him and became far more aggressive like he was.

Force Bonds have occurred with other characters too: County Dooku and Yoda. And Darth Revan and Bastila Shan.

Another possibility is that she is the first of the ones who will replace the Jedi.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Another possibility is that she is the first of the ones who will replace the Jedi.

Definitely; I've already heard all kinds of theories about her being a Gray Jedi. It still doesn't answer two questions though:

1. How does she know advanced techniques with no training? On this point, I'd like to emphasize the distinction between technique and power. To draw an analogy, even Lebron James has to constantly be studying and improving his basketball skills. There's a difference between innate talent and learned technique. She's clearly demonstrating learned technique.
2. Why did R2 wake up and show the map the moment she arrived on the scene? It's very clear R2 wants to show the map to Rey. What motivation could R2 have other than that's what's Luke programmed him to do?

1. You're using real world example with regard to a movie. Can't buy into that. And "clearly" isn't proven, it's asserted.

As for Rey's skills, we don't know enough to explain them at this point.

2. Did he wake up "the moment she arrived"? Not really, they were discussing the incomplete map, which would have been some unknown amount of time after the infamous hugging scene. What is congruent is that R2 woke up when the portion of the map "recovered from the Imperial archives" is displayed.

A warning from the director: “Last Jedi” Director Says Avoid The New Trailer
Quote: "Johnson says in his tweet: “I a legitimately torn. If you want to come in clean, absolutely avoid it. But it’s gooooood.”

Can you resist? Here is the brand new second trailer:

Likes russ_watters
DennisN said:
A warning from the director: “Last Jedi” Director Says Avoid The New Trailer
Quote: "Johnson says in his tweet: “I a legitimately torn. If you want to come in clean, absolutely avoid it. But it’s gooooood.”

Can you resist? Here is the brand new second trailer:

How much spoilers does the above trailer gives? Should I watch it or wait for Dec 15? Also I haven't read this thread yet.. do the contents got many spoilers too?

I've heard that Johnson didn't author that tweet. Rumor v. rumor?

Blue Scallop said:
How much spoilers does the above trailer gives? Should I watch it or wait for Dec 15?
“Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.” I'd say, the trailer contains different scenes and quotes which may reveal things, but can also be interpreted in different ways. If you want to see the movie with a fresh, untainted mind, don't watch any trailers or contents at all.

Blue Scallop said:
Also I haven't read this thread yet.. do the contents got many spoilers too?
The clips/articles I've posted before contain some new characters, new locations and behind the scenes stuff, no major revelations in my opinion.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I've heard that Johnson didn't author that tweet. Rumor v. rumor?
Ok. I have no idea, I got the link and trailer from a friend and just posted it here.

Another small teaser:

Likes Drakkith
XZ923 said:
My take on Ep.8:
Heisenburgundy Gold said:
I have no idea who Rey is
Noisy Rhysling said:

I've been quiet with my thoughts on Rey, but here they are (I hide it below in a spoiler tag, obviously it is not a spoiler because I do not know who Rey is, but I don't want anyone to read it unless you want to :wink:)

I do not think Rey is a Skywalker. I think she is either a Kenobi or, less likely, related to Palpatine. I favor a Kenobi, for various reasons, and also because I think it would be perfect. The roles get somewhat reversed and the story is somewhat circular;

Similarities between Obi-Wan and Rey:

* Loners who dwell on a desert planet
* They both come into contact with a droid which have a mission, which they help
* They are both skilled at Jedi mind tricks
* They both climbed around and messed around on an Empire battle station
* Edit: Also, they both have an English accent in the movies.
* Edit 2: In a New Hope, Obi-Wan hands Luke Anakins lightsaber. In the Force Awakens, Rey hands Luke the same lightsaber.

Reverse roles/circular story:
* Obi-Wan first trained Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the Dark Side and became Darth Vader.
- compare with Luke training Ben Solo, who turns to the Dark Side and becomes Kylo Ren.
* Obi-Wan later trained Luke, and now Luke will train Rey (Skywalker-Kenobi connection)
* Darth Vader fought Obi-Wan, Kylo Ren (Vader relation) fought Rey
* Obi-Wan knew and helped Leia (Skywalker), Leia assists in getting Rey to Luke

Last edited:
Except that Luke dropped Dad's light saber on the gas mine planet. Dad notes he made a new one.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Except that Luke dropped Dad's light saber on the gas mine planet. Dad notes he made a new one.
From which it was obviously recovered somehow and eventually found its way into the hands of Maz Kanata.

Janus said:
From which it was obviously recovered somehow and eventually found its way into the hands of Maz Kanata.
Okay, deus ex saber time.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - TV Spot "Light"
"A brand new extended TV spot has been released by Disney and Lucasfilm for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”. Entitled ‘Light,’ the clip offers new footage as well as some new dialogue between Luke (Mark Hamill) and Rey (Daisy Ridley). The clip comes as director Rian Johnson has confirmed the film runs 150 minutes – making it the longest running “Star Wars” film to date."
(Quote from http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-extended-tv-spot/)

EDIT: I found another TV spot:

Last edited:
The wait is almost over. I have my tickets booked and everything. You guys excited?

Glazer said:
The wait is almost over. I have my tickets booked and everything. You guys excited?
Oh, yes! :smile:

The movie is out now... (I have not seen the movie yet)
I think it is a good idea to have a separate thread for discussions about The Last Jedi including spoilers, like we had with The Force Awakens.
So I started a new thread here: The Last Jedi Spoiler Thread.

1. Will Luke Skywalker return as a Force ghost in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi"?

It has been confirmed by director Rian Johnson that Luke Skywalker will return in some form in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi", but it is not yet known if he will appear as a Force ghost.

2. Will Rey's parentage be revealed in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi"?

While many fans have speculated about Rey's parents, director Rian Johnson has stated that her parentage will be addressed in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi", but it may not be in the way fans expect.

3. Will Kylo Ren be redeemed in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi"?

This remains to be seen, but director Rian Johnson has stated that Kylo Ren's character will continue to be explored and developed in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi".

4. Will there be a time jump in "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi"?

It has been confirmed by director Rian Johnson that "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi" will pick up right where "The Force Awakens" left off, with no time jump in between.

5. Will "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi" reveal the origins of Snoke?

While not much is known about Snoke's origins, director Rian Johnson has stated that "Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi" will provide some insight into his character, but it may not fully reveal his origins.