Starlink phased array antenna

In summary, the Starlink phased array antenna can't be totally isotropic, so the power pattern is narrower than the amplitude beam width.
vutran
It looks very cool.
I have been using phased-array for direction finding & beam-forming, but recently I have come up with an idea that I find difficult to understand.
Let's take the star-link phased array as an example, if we used a long-wave (MHz -- much lower than the one it is designed for), the phase offset among antenna elements would be very small (go to 0) in any direction. Therefore, the amplitude gain in any direction would be N (N: number of elements), and the power gain would be N^2 in any direction which would violate the energy conservation law. Could anyone help me figure out what is wrong here?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vutran said:
violate the energy conservation law
Energy conservation applies over the whole sphere. The square of the amplitude gives the power radiated in a particular direction but remember that all the directions where the amplitude is one half, get only one quarter of the power. It can never all add up to greater than unity.
The power beam width is less than the amplitude beam width - is another way of looking at it.

Likes vutran
Very closely spaced elements have large mutual coupling that spoils the gain. A way to look at it is that coupling makes many elements behave as one, so you have, effectively, a fraction of N elements.

• Informative
Likes vutran and berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
that all the directions where the amplitude is one half
In this case, I assumed the wavelength is much larger than the element spacing, so the radiation pattern is approximately a sphere, so the amplitude is the same in all directions, isn't it?

marcusl said:
Very closely spaced elements have large mutual coupling that spoils the gain. A way to look at it is that coupling makes many elements behave as one, so you have, effectively, a fraction of N elements.
But how can I take this into account in analyses in general cases with a spacing of D? Is it correct to compute the pattern regardless of this mutual coupling effect, then normalize it so that ∫(power_pattern) = 1 (or transmission power)?

vutran said:
In this case, I assumed the wavelength is much larger than the element spacing, so the radiation pattern is approximately a sphere, so the amplitude is the same in all directions, isn't it?
No, there is no such thing as an omni-directional EM antenna. The Starlink antenna uses microstrip patches on a ground plane so the radiation pattern is confined to a hemisphere. Such elements have maximal amplitude at broadside and fall to zero along the array plane, so the pattern is shaped more like a teardrop.

Last edited:
vutran said:
But how can I take this into account in analyses in general cases with a spacing of D? Is it correct to compute the pattern regardless of this mutual coupling effect, then normalize it so that ∫(power_pattern) = 1 (or transmission power)?
No. If your antenna has a perfect impedance match, then the gain is approximately $$G=\frac{4\pi A}{\lambda^2}$$where A is the array aperture array. To get an exact value requires analysis with an EM simulation code or measurement in an antenna test range.

Last edited:
vutran said:
Even a very small array can be 'unidirectional', if desired, with deep or slight null(s) in some directions. See this Radio Ham link In any case, as stated earlier, it can't be totally isotropic. As you'd expect, the Power pattern would be narrower (but not all that narrow). The integrated power will still add up to unity.

1. What is a Starlink phased array antenna?

A Starlink phased array antenna is a type of antenna used for satellite communication. It consists of multiple small antenna elements that work together to transmit and receive signals from satellites in space. This technology allows for faster and more efficient communication compared to traditional parabolic antennas.

2. How does a Starlink phased array antenna work?

The antenna elements in a Starlink phased array are connected to a central controller, which can adjust the phase and amplitude of each element. This allows the antenna to steer its beam towards a specific satellite in space, enabling two-way communication between the ground station and the satellite.

3. What are the benefits of using a Starlink phased array antenna?

One of the main benefits of using a Starlink phased array antenna is its ability to track and communicate with multiple satellites simultaneously. This allows for faster and more reliable communication, as well as improved coverage in areas with limited ground stations. Additionally, the compact size and low power consumption of these antennas make them ideal for use in mobile and remote applications.

4. What makes Starlink phased array antennas different from traditional antennas?

Unlike traditional antennas, which use a single large dish to communicate with a satellite, Starlink phased array antennas use multiple smaller antenna elements. This allows for more precise and efficient communication, as well as the ability to track and communicate with multiple satellites at once.

5. How is a Starlink phased array antenna used in the Starlink satellite constellation?

The Starlink satellite constellation uses thousands of small satellites in low Earth orbit to provide high-speed internet access to users on the ground. Each satellite is equipped with a Starlink phased array antenna, which allows for communication with other satellites in the constellation as well as ground stations on Earth. This enables a global network of internet coverage that is faster and more reliable than traditional satellite internet systems.