Stars with 6 legs in seawater aquarium

In summary, during a recent visit to a sea water aquarium with tropical fish, anemona, and corals, the speaker observed small white stars with six legs on the glass walls. While most starfish have five legs, the speaker turned to Google to find some answers and came across a website discussing hexaradial starfish. The website seemed reliable and provided information on the variability of starfish arm numbers. The speaker thanks everyone for their contributions and notes that the stars seen resembled Asterina species, which are commonly discussed in aquaristic forums.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Recently I visited a sea water aquarium with tropical fish anemona, corals. At the glas walls I observed little (about 1 cm diameter) white stars with 6 legs.
Now starfish have 5 legs, as far as I know.
Any idea what this could have been?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sea stars mostly have 5 "arms" or "legs". Some have more - up to 40 arms.
The sun star can have 40:

http://0.tqn.com/d/marinelife/1/0/C/5/-/-/Sunflowerstar-500x3750-Patrickbriggsflickr.jpg

Borek said:
Googling for hexaradial starfish finds this page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_1/cav1i4/echinoderms/echinoderms.htm

Scroll down to the green table. No idea about the site credibility, but at least it gives some ideas about what to look for.

The site seems pretty reliable and as far as I know (about echinoderms), the information provided is correct.

Thank you all very much for the info. I didn't know that there is so much variability in the number of arms in starfish. The ones I saw resembled very much Asterina species which are described in several aquaristic forums, like here:
http://reefkeepingfever.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are "stars with 6 legs" in a seawater aquarium?

"Stars with 6 legs" in a seawater aquarium refer to a type of starfish that has six arms or legs. These starfish are commonly found in marine habitats and are known for their unique appearance and behavior.

2. Are "stars with 6 legs" harmful to other organisms in the aquarium?

No, "stars with 6 legs" are not harmful to other organisms in the aquarium. They primarily feed on small invertebrates and algae and do not pose a threat to larger organisms. However, they may compete for space and resources with other bottom-dwelling organisms.

3. How do "stars with 6 legs" survive in a seawater aquarium?

"Stars with 6 legs" have a unique ability to regenerate lost limbs, making them resilient to physical damage. They also have a specialized water vascular system that helps them move and obtain nutrients in the water.

4. Can "stars with 6 legs" change their color in the aquarium?

Yes, "stars with 6 legs" can change their color in response to their environment. They have specialized cells called chromatophores that allow them to change color for camouflage or to communicate with other organisms.

5. How can I care for "stars with 6 legs" in a seawater aquarium?

To care for "stars with 6 legs" in a seawater aquarium, it is important to maintain proper water quality and temperature. These starfish also require a diet of small invertebrates and algae. It is best to research the specific needs of the species you have and consult with a marine biologist for proper care.