Start Learning Wireless Communications and RF Electronics

In summary, the conversation is about a student in electrical engineering who is interested in learning about wireless communications and RF electronics but is unsure of where to start. They mention taking engineering electromagnetics courses, but still feel they lack knowledge in wireless communications. They are looking for recommendations on books or resources to start learning about RF. Some suggestions include books from the ARRL and Electronic Communications Systems by Wayne Thomasi.
roeb
Hey guys,

I'm a student in electrical engineering and I'm interested in learning about wireless communications and RF electronics but I don't really know where to start. I've taken three semesters of engineering electromagnetics but I still wouldn't say that I know much of anything about wireless communications. My school offers a communications course but I don't think I'll have time to take it and it seems like it's more focused on software rather than hardware anyways. Anyone know where I can start? I've taken a look at a few RF books that are geared towards hobbyists but all they seem to do is take a bunch of FM transmitter schematics from the internet and they fail to explain anything.

Thanks
-roeb

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pick up some books from the ARRL. Even if you have no interest in becoming an amateur radio operator, there is a ton of info in some of their books. Every time I pick up one of their books that I have had for years I still learn something. In some cases I've found the older handbooks, I have some from the 70s, are more useful than the newer ones. Of course that is my opinion based on my specific interests.

The standard advice is to buy Pozar's book on microwave engineering.
Once you understand the basics you can then start thinking about antennas etc

I still look at ARRL from time to time, and always discover something new. RF Circuit Design by Bowick, is pretty short but it's written in the HH Art of Electronics style.

RF Circuit Design by Ludwig/Bretchko is pretty rigorous, and indispensable.

I find that there are enough lower frequency things covered in ARRL that it is a good stepping stone compared to jumping right into microwave stuff.

Averagesupernova said:
Pick up some books from the ARRL. Even if you have no interest in becoming an amateur radio operator, there is a ton of info in some of their books. Every time I pick up one of their books that I have had for years I still learn something. In some cases I've found the older handbooks, I have some from the 70s, are more useful than the newer ones. Of course that is my opinion based on my specific interests.

I'd second the ARRL recommendation. It's how I started to learn RF as a teen.

When I was in college, one of my professors was Wayne Thomasi. He wrote a book that is easy to understand and has some very advanced explinations. The name of the book is Electronic Communications Systems: Fundamentals Through Advanced. Its a bit pricey, but I still use mine.

1. What is wireless communications and RF electronics?

Wireless communications refers to the transmission of data or information over a distance without the use of physical wires or cables. RF electronics, or radio frequency electronics, deals with the design, development, and use of devices that operate using radio waves.

2. Why is it important to learn about wireless communications and RF electronics?

In today's world, wireless communications and RF electronics are essential for many industries, including telecommunications, healthcare, transportation, and manufacturing. By understanding these technologies, you can develop new and innovative solutions and contribute to the advancement of society.

3. What are some common applications of wireless communications and RF electronics?

Some common applications include cell phones, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, satellite communication, radar systems, and RFID technology. These technologies are used for communication, navigation, remote sensing, and data transfer.

4. What skills are needed to excel in the field of wireless communications and RF electronics?

To excel in this field, you should have a strong foundation in electrical engineering, mathematics, and physics. It is also important to have knowledge of digital and analog circuit design, signal processing, and programming languages. Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also essential.

5. How can I start learning about wireless communications and RF electronics?

You can start by taking courses in electrical engineering, computer science, or telecommunications. Reading books, attending workshops and conferences, and participating in hands-on projects can also help you gain knowledge and skills in this field. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for self-study.