Starting a Blog After Leaving a PhD Program: Overcoming Mental Health Challenges

• Studying
  • Thread starter kakaho345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog
In summary, the individual was previously in a PhD program in Physics but had to drop out due to mental health issues. They are now interested in returning to research but are afraid of triggering another episode. They are wondering if it is appropriate to post on this site as a blog or if there are other platforms they could use. The responder suggests looking into other blogging sites or potentially writing articles for the Insights section of the forum.
kakaho345
I was in a PhD program in Physics, I dropped out due to mental health issue, now that I am out of the distress, I actually want to get back to research. But I don't want to once again get into mental health problem. So I wonder if I am allowed to post here and update daily as a blog? Or any other space I could use for a blog?

Physics news on Phys.org
kakaho345 said:
So I wonder if I am allowed to post here and update daily as a blog?
That's not what this site is for. As to recommendations, I'm sure there are any number of other sites that are more suitable for posting blogs, maybe WordPress?

If you have some expertise in a particular area, you could consider writing articles for Insights...
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/

Likes vanhees71

1. What inspired you to start a blog after leaving a PhD program?

After leaving my PhD program, I struggled with mental health challenges and felt alone in my experience. I wanted to create a platform where I could share my story and connect with others who may be going through similar struggles.

2. How did you overcome mental health challenges while starting a blog?

I made sure to prioritize self-care and seek support from friends, family, and mental health professionals. I also found writing to be therapeutic and a way to process my emotions. Additionally, I set realistic goals and took breaks when needed.

3. What advice do you have for others who may be struggling with mental health while pursuing their PhD?

First and foremost, it is important to prioritize your mental health. Seek support from loved ones and consider talking to a therapist or counselor. Don't be afraid to take breaks and ask for extensions if needed. Remember that your well-being is more important than your academic pursuits.

4. How has your blog helped others who may be going through similar experiences?

I have received messages from readers who have expressed how much they relate to my story and how my blog has made them feel less alone. Some have even shared their own experiences and how my blog has inspired them to seek help and prioritize their mental health.

5. What do you hope to achieve through your blog?

I hope to create a supportive community where individuals can share their experiences and struggles with mental health in academia. I also hope to raise awareness about the importance of prioritizing mental health and breaking the stigma surrounding it in the academic world.