State of matter by reversing reaction

In summary: In reality, it would most likely be solid. In summary, the state of the carbon atoms is different when the reaction is reversed and the decomposition of CH4 in this hypothetical process results in gaseous carbon, but in reality it would most likely be solid.
henry3369

Homework Statement

Imagine a hypothetical process in which the methane molecule, CH4, is "expanded," by simultaneously extending all four C−H bonds to infinity. We then have the process:
CH4 (g) → C(g) + 4H(g)

Compare the reaction for the "expansion" of methane with the reverse of the reaction that represents the standard enthalpy of formation. Is the state of the carbon atoms the same or different when reversed?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my assignment, the state of the carbon atoms is different when the reaction is reversed.

I don't understand why Carbon is a gas when decomposed from CH4, but a solid when combined with hydrogen to form CH4. I understand that Carbon is a solid at room temperature, but then why would the decomposition result in gaseous Carbon rather than solid Carbon?

Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:

Homework Statement

Imagine a hypothetical process in which the methane molecule, CH4, is "expanded," by simultaneously extending all four C−H bonds to infinity. We then have the process:
CH4 (g) → C(g) + 4H(g)

Compare the reaction for the "expansion" of methane with the reverse of the reaction that represents the standard enthalpy of formation. Is the state of the carbon atoms the same or different when reversed?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my assignment, the state of the carbon atoms is different when the reaction is reversed.

I don't understand why Carbon is a gas when decomposed from CH4, but a solid when combined with hydrogen to form CH4. I understand that Carbon is a solid at room temperature, but then why would the decomposition result in gaseous Carbon rather than solid Carbon?
Nevermind, it was only gas in this hypothetical situation.

1. What is meant by "state of matter by reversing reaction?"

The state of matter by reversing reaction refers to the process of changing a substance from one state of matter to another by reversing the reaction that caused it to change in the first place. This can involve changing a solid into a liquid, a liquid into a gas, or a gas into a solid.

2. Can all substances be reversed from one state of matter to another?

No, not all substances can be reversed from one state of matter to another. This process depends on the chemical properties of the substance and the conditions under which it is being reversed. For example, some substances may only undergo a change in state at very high or very low temperatures.

3. How is energy involved in the process of reversing a state of matter?

In order to reverse a state of matter, energy must be added or removed from the substance. This can be done through heating, cooling, or applying pressure. The amount of energy required will vary depending on the substance and the state of matter being reversed.

4. Can the state of matter be reversed multiple times?

Yes, the state of matter can be reversed multiple times as long as the conditions are appropriate. For example, water can be repeatedly changed from a solid to a liquid and back to a solid by freezing and melting it. However, some substances may undergo chemical changes during these state changes, making it difficult to reverse them multiple times.

5. What are some real-world applications of reversing a state of matter?

Reversing a state of matter has many practical applications, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, where gases are compressed and expanded to cool or heat a space. It is also used in industrial processes, such as in the production of plastics and other materials. Understanding the process of reversing a state of matter is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.