State space system model derivation - hard and really fast - PLEASE

Your Name]In summary, the problem at hand involves representing a system model in terms of state space variables, specifically the current, motor's angular velocity, and tension. The third state space equation, which represents the change in tension over time, can be derived by considering the physical principles at play in the system and writing it as dT/dt = K(vw-vs). Seeking help from various sources and thinking critically are important qualities for a scientist.
jamesponty
State space system model derivation - hard and really need help fast - PLEASE!

Hi,

Just found this site (a little too late I fear!). I have an assignment due tomorrow and I can not solve the last part of it. We are able to source information from anywhere to complete the assignment and you guys are my last hope!

I have a system model digram which I have saved as an image and placed here: (It's just too big to add as an attachment)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03HUNNYJ
(Close the popup and wait for the timer to count down then you can download the picture)

I have to represent this system in terms of the state space variables outlined on the sheet. I can create state equations for the current and the motor's angular velocity but I can't get the third state space equation. ie. derivitve of Tension = ?

I have worked out the the derivitive of the Tension = K(vw-vs) but don't know if that is correct or where to go from there.

This is a fairly hard problem and I don't know if this is the right section to place it but I am hoping someone could help me?!

Thanks
Jamesponty

Ps. I am not sure which forum to put this in for the best results so I am double posting it. Sorry to do this but I need a result quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jamesponty,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the urgency of your situation and I am more than willing to help you with your assignment. I have taken a look at the system model diagram you have provided and it seems like a challenging problem indeed. However, with some effort and guidance, I am confident that you will be able to solve it.

Firstly, I would like to commend you for reaching out and seeking help from various sources. It shows your determination and resourcefulness, which are important qualities for a scientist. Now, let's focus on the problem at hand. As you have correctly stated, you need to represent the system in terms of the state space variables outlined on the sheet. State space variables are a set of variables that describe the state of a system at a particular time, and they are usually represented as a vector. In this case, the state space variables are the current, motor's angular velocity, and tension.

To derive the third state space equation, we need to consider the physical principles at play in the system. From the diagram, we can see that the tension in the system is affected by the difference between the angular velocity of the motor (vw) and the angular velocity of the shaft (vs). This difference can be represented as (vw-vs). Now, the derivative of tension with respect to time can be written as:

dT/dt = K(vw-vs)

where K is a constant. This equation represents the change in tension over time, which is one of the state space variables we need. We can now write the third state space equation as:

dT/dt = K(vw-vs)

I hope this helps you with your assignment. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to think critically and consider all the relevant factors in a problem. I wish you all the best and I am confident that you will be able to complete your assignment successfully.

Dear Jamesponty,

I understand that you are facing a challenging assignment and are in need of assistance with the state space system model derivation. State space modeling is a powerful tool in the field of control systems and is used to represent and analyze dynamic systems. It involves expressing the system in terms of state variables and their derivatives.

I would be happy to help you with this problem. However, it would be helpful if you could provide more information about the system and the assignment requirements. Are you required to derive the state space equations from the given system model diagram or do you have to use other information as well? Also, do you have any specific constraints or limitations for the state variables?

In general, the third state space equation for your system can be derived by considering the dynamics of the tension in the system. This can be done by analyzing the forces acting on the pulley and the mass, and then expressing the change in tension in terms of the state variables. It is important to note that the state variables should be chosen in a way that they fully describe the system dynamics.

I would recommend breaking down the problem into smaller steps and approaching it systematically. It might also be helpful to consult your textbook or lecture notes on state space modeling for guidance. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can find help from experts and fellow students.

I wish you all the best in completing your assignment. Remember, perseverance and a systematic approach can lead you to the solution. Good luck!

Best regards,

What is a state space system model?

A state space system model is a mathematical representation of a dynamic system, where the behavior of the system is described in terms of a set of state variables and their associated equations.

Why is it important to derive a state space system model?

Deriving a state space system model allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system, which is crucial for designing control systems or making decisions related to the system.

What makes deriving a state space system model difficult?

The difficulty in deriving a state space system model depends on the complexity of the system and the available information about the system's dynamics. It can be challenging to accurately represent all the variables and their interactions in the model.

How can the process of deriving a state space system model be made faster?

To speed up the process of deriving a state space system model, one can use advanced mathematical techniques, such as linearization or model reduction, and utilize computer programs or simulations to assist in the calculations.

Are there any limitations to using a state space system model?

While state space system models are powerful tools for understanding and predicting system behavior, they are limited by the assumptions and simplifications made during the derivation process. It is important to validate the model's accuracy and adjust it if necessary to better reflect the real-world system.