Statement of Interest (Writer's Block)

In summary, the author is looking for ways to get out of a writer's block and is considering ways to relax. She has also collected information and files on different topics, some of which are potentially relevant to her research in the REU.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
AAAAAGGGGGHHH!

The ONLY thing I wanted to get done this weekend, the ONLY thing, was to right a statement of interest for my REU applications.

As of now, I have an open Word document with the words "Statement of Interest" on the top of the page! This has been the most unproductive weekend. If only I could figure out how to start the essay. That is always the hardest part. Once you have a catchy beginning, the rest just seems to follow. It is too bad that my mind is seriously blank right now!

Anyone know of any good ways to break out of a writer's block on things like this?
(And don't say "Stop wasting time on PF." I'm looking for doable ways to get a good start on this paper.:biggrin:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try some free writing. Don't worry about writing a catchy beginning to start your paper. Write what actually interests you first. Just write anything that comes to mind even if it isn't related to your paper. Not only might you get ideas for your paper, but you could also figure out what's stopping you from writing it. Then after you have something down look at it again and see what has promise and what needs to be dropped completely.

Just write anything. See where it takes you.

Thanks Huckleberry, I'll try that.

Maybe I am just tired of working on these applications in general, but I got to get them done eventually. If I haven't been showing my face much around here lately, it's because of these apps. I just want to get them done and mailed out! So close, yet so far away!

Most people don't write well while dealing with stress or anxiety. I don't know what kind of schedule or deadlines you have, but if you have the time a little relaxation might help. Go for a walk. Throw some rocks in the lake. Catch a movie. Call up a friend you haven't talked to in a while. Take a nap. I find it almost impossible to write if stress is taking up all my bandwidth.

Huckleberry said:
Try some free writing. Don't worry about writing a catchy beginning to start your paper. Write what actually interests you first. Just write anything that comes to mind even if it isn't related to your paper. Not only might you get ideas for your paper, but you could also figure out what's stopping you from writing it. Then after you have something down look at it again and see what has promise and what needs to be dropped completely.

good suggestion--the only thing that I may add is writing things on separate sheets of paper if they're different trains of thoughts.

What is the area of research in the REU?

With a research topic - maybe we could discover a general statement to get started.

I've gotten in the habit of collecting interesting things and saving them in files, just in case they might be relevant in the future. Some files contain a broad category while others are very specific. I have a some files on texts in mathematics, engineering, physics, astrophysics and plasma physics (I just ordered several books on plasma physics).

I have folders of broad topics like books (which I intend to read), international development, aviation and aerospace, international development, and large library of articles of articles from ArXiv and various scientific and technical journals, . . . .

It helps to jot down stuff for later use.

BTW - Time is never wasted on PF. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
What is the area of research in the REU?

With a research topic - maybe we could discover a general statement to get started.

I've gotten in the habit of collecting interesting things and saving them in files, just in case they might be relevant in the future. Some files contain a broad category while others are very specific. I have a some files on texts in mathematics, engineering, physics, astrophysics and plasma physics (I just ordered several books on plasma physics).

I have folders of broad topics like books (which I intend to read), international development, aviation and aerospace, international development, and large library of articles of articles from ArXiv and various scientific and technical journals, . . . .

It helps to jot down stuff for later use.

BTW - Time is never wasted on PF. :biggrin:

The REU's I'm applying for all have research in condensed matter physics and nanophysics. Experimental projects are also more interesting to me that theoretical projects.

what do you read about in any of those areas in your spare time--leisure time?

Well. I'm really interested in quantum dots. My previous REU project was involved with quantum dots, and their applications to quantum computing, among other things.

sounds like a good place to start--What papers were you reading?

Start with something general in condensed matter physics and nanophysics, or physics of nanostructures, where atomic properties or atomic/molecular behavior dominate, as opposed to bulk properties. The key to developments/advances in useful nanostructures requires the results of detailed and well-controlled experiments.

What do we know about quantum dots and quantum computing?

What do we need to know?

I curious about the control of errors in quantum computing. I would think that one spurious muon could devastate a quantum dot.

I know that microprocessors with higher transistor densities than a P3 get blasted when they operate in space. Too much radiation.

There are a couple I can think of off the top of my head. Here are a couple I have read and have on hand:

Kikkawa , J. M. and Awschalom , D. D., Physical Review Letters 80, 4313 (1998). -Decoherence Times of electron spins in quantum dots.

Kane, B. E., McAlpine, N. S., Dzurak, A. S., et al., Phys. Rev. B 61, 2961 (2000).
-Reading the state of a semiconductor-based qubit using a single-electron transistor.These are two examples at least. I have somewhat of an idea of what to talk about once I get into the essay. The big problem here is getting started. I want to have a smooth general introduction, and then get more into what my specific interests are. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Start with something general about the drive to miniturize.

Back in the early days of the space program, there were many programs to reduce the size of equipment, including computers in order to save mass.

In computing, the objectives have been to reduce the distance between transistors to speed up (reduce) computation times and reduce power losses (reduce power consumption).

A lot of papers lead in with the 'history'-----What got you interested in the first place?

Huckleberry said:

Along the same lines, writing an outline can be a good start too. Same concept, instead of worrying about how to write a catchy opening sentence, you get down the meat and potatoes of what you want to say, and can then go back afterward and turn it into proper sentences and paragraphs and figure out a catchy intro.

Alright guys thanks for the help and advice! I did make an outline Moonbear and it helped immensely. I sometimes have a tendency to obsess over small details, like opening paragraphs. I made an outline, decided what I was going to talk about, and then went to the gym, because I was to stressed to think clearly. I felt a lot better afterwards and was able to write the statement with much less trouble!

Well, one thing down. Now time to relax until I start class again...which is...IN A WEEK! What have I been doing this entire break?:confused:

Now that this problem is already solved, I'll chime in, because I'm helpful that way.:biggrin:

I'm abysmal at writing outlines. I begin with a sentence, mean to write out all of my following ideas in point form, and end up writing whole paragraphs. For what it's worth, for anyone else reading this when/if they get stuck, rewebster's suggestion to write the paper with fleshed out ideas and then go back and write your thesis statement to fit with your paper is an excellent approach, I've found. Supposedly, it's the desired approach to have your ideas and arguments in order and set out in your thesis statement before writing your essay. That's supposed to, notionally, give you a guideline to follow. For me, I find I work best writing the essay in a point-following-point-building-on-point organisation and then writing a thesis, or opening statement, to match up with what I've put together.

Supposedly, that's a backwards construction, but it's worked well for me. Just another idea out there for an approach to the task.

Personally, I've found writing an outline before the actual paper is extremely helpful for me. You know, before i'll just drink a lot of water (don't ask) and wait until the idea finally comes to my head, this took quite some time. I started using outlines, because of a project i did with 2 other fellow mates. One of them used to write a lot of outlines before writing. I picked up the habit from him. Good habit.

Good luck on your application.

Related to Statement of Interest (Writer's Block)

1. How do I overcome writer's block when writing a statement of interest?

Writer's block can be a frustrating obstacle, but there are several strategies you can try to overcome it. First, take a break and do something else for a while to refresh your mind. You can also try freewriting, where you simply write without worrying about structure or grammar. Another helpful tip is to outline your ideas before you start writing to give yourself a clear direction. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for feedback from others or seek inspiration from other sources.

2. What should I include in a statement of interest?

A statement of interest should highlight your qualifications, experiences, and goals related to the specific opportunity or program you are applying for. This can include your academic background, relevant skills, research interests, and future career aspirations. It should also demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm for the opportunity and how it aligns with your personal and professional goals.

3. How long should a statement of interest be?

The length of a statement of interest can vary depending on the specific requirements of the opportunity or program you are applying for. However, in general, it is recommended to keep it concise and focused, typically around one to two pages. Be sure to carefully review the guidelines and follow any specified length requirements.

4. Do I need to include specific examples in my statement of interest?

Including specific examples in your statement of interest can be beneficial in demonstrating your skills and experiences. However, it is not always necessary. If you do choose to include examples, make sure they are relevant to the opportunity or program and effectively support your main points. Avoid including too many examples, as this can make your statement too lengthy and unfocused.

5. How important is the statement of interest in the application process?

The statement of interest is an essential component of the application process, as it allows you to showcase your qualifications and convince the reader why you are a strong candidate for the opportunity. It also provides insight into your personality, interests, and goals, which can help the selection committee get to know you beyond your academic achievements. Therefore, it is crucial to put effort into writing a compelling and well-crafted statement of interest.