Static Contact Angle (fluids)

PFIn summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment on fluid dynamics in microgravity, specifically looking at the flow of silicone oil from a wedge at a slow rate. They are considering using a contact angle model in their simulation and are wondering if a static or dynamic model would be more appropriate. Factors to consider include the type of fluid and the conditions of the experiment. It may be helpful to compare results from both models and consult with experts in the field to determine the most valid approach.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have an experiment where a wedge about 160mm long is in microgravity. I withdraw silicone oil from the wedge at a relatively slow rate (no turbulence). Since the wedge angle is small, a lubrication approximation is made. Inertia is shown to be low.

I want to simulate this flow. When considering a contact angle model to employ, I implement a constant contact angle model equal to the static contact angle, 0 degrees. How do I know if this is valid, or if a dynamic model should be implemented?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and question with us. It sounds like you are conducting an interesting study on fluid dynamics in microgravity.

When deciding on a contact angle model to use in your simulation, there are a few factors you should consider. First, you should make sure that the contact angle model you choose is appropriate for the type of fluid you are working with. For example, some models may be more suitable for Newtonian fluids while others may be better for non-Newtonian fluids.

Secondly, you should consider the conditions of your experiment and whether a static or dynamic contact angle model would be more appropriate. Since you mention that your experiment involves slow withdrawal and low inertia, a static contact angle model may be suitable. This model assumes that the contact angle between the fluid and solid surface remains constant throughout the experiment.

However, if you think that there may be variations in the contact angle due to changes in flow rate or other factors, a dynamic contact angle model may be more accurate. This model takes into account the change in contact angle over time.

In order to determine which model is most valid for your experiment, it may be helpful to compare the results from both models and see which one better matches your experimental data. Additionally, you could also consult with other experts in the field or conduct further research on similar experiments to see which contact angle models have been used in the past.

I hope this helps guide your decision on which contact angle model to use in your simulation. Best of luck with your experiment!

What is the definition of static contact angle?

The static contact angle is the angle formed at the interface between a solid surface and a liquid droplet at equilibrium. It is the measure of the wettability of a solid surface by a liquid.

How is the static contact angle measured?

The static contact angle is typically measured using an instrument called a goniometer. This device uses a camera and software to capture and analyze the shape of the droplet on the solid surface, allowing for the calculation of the contact angle.

What factors affect the static contact angle?

The static contact angle is influenced by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the surface energy of the solid, and the presence of any impurities on the surface. It can also be affected by the roughness and chemical composition of the solid surface.

What is the significance of the static contact angle in surface science?

The static contact angle is an important parameter in surface science as it provides insight into the interactions between a liquid and a solid surface. It can be used to study the surface properties of materials, such as their wettability and adhesion, and to design new materials with desired surface characteristics.

Can the static contact angle be changed?

Yes, the static contact angle can be changed by altering the surface properties of either the liquid or the solid. This can be achieved through various methods, such as surface modification, coating, or changing the environmental conditions, such as temperature and pressure.