Static Equilibrium: Finding Coefficient of Friction with Torque Analysis

• Thread starter SnakeDoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, using equations for static equilibrium and torque, the coefficient of static friction between the climber's feet and the ground can be calculated by finding the perpendicular distances from each force to the point of rotation. Using this method, the coefficient of static friction was found to be 0.196.
SnakeDoc

Homework Statement

In the figure, a climber leans out against a vertical ice wall that has negligible friction. Distance a is 0.905 m and distance L is 2.15 m. His center of mass is distance d = 0.91 m from the feet-ground contact point. If he is on the verge of sliding, what is the coefficient of static friction between feet and ground?

Homework Equations

x: 0= W-ƒ
y: 0= N+mg
Torque
T=L x F
0= N(A)-(1.95)ƒ-(.52195)mg
ƒ=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD and came up with
x: 0= W-ƒ
y: 0= N+mg
putting them in a state of equilibrium.

Find than
then I did the torques and

T: 0 = Nτ-ƒτ-mgτ

Unsure how to proceed I used the WileyPlus' go tutorial feature it asked me for what it called the moment arms of the Normal force, Force due to gravity, and frictional force after a few guesses because I was unsure what it was asking for it gave all three values but I would like to know what it was asking for how =to find them. The values were as follows
moment arm for Normal force: .905
moment arm for Force due to Gravity: .52195
moment arm for Frictional Force: 1.95
I understand that they become the L value of each torque but I don't understand how they found each.

T: 0= N(.905)-ƒ(1.95)-mg(.52195) since N=MG and ƒ=mg substitute
T: 0= mg(.905)-μmg(1.95)-mg(.52195)<<mg's cancel
T: 0=(.905)-μ(1.95)-(.5195) <<simplify
T: μ=.196

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 567
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the perpendicular distance from each force to the point you are taking the moment about. You can draw a "line of action", extending each force vector in both directions. Then draw in the perpendicular line between the force line of action and the point you are taking the moment about. Then you need to use your trigonometry to find those moment arms.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and has no external forces acting on it. In this state, the object's acceleration is zero, and the sum of all the forces acting on it is also zero.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state of rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state of motion with a constant velocity. In dynamic equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on an object is still zero, but the object is in motion.

How does friction affect static equilibrium?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it plays a crucial role in maintaining static equilibrium. Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and helps to keep the object from sliding or moving when external forces are applied. In some cases, friction is necessary to maintain static equilibrium, while in others, it can disrupt it.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on several factors, including the surface roughness, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. Additionally, the presence of lubricants or contaminants can also affect the amount of friction between two surfaces.

How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. This helps to create a smooth surface and reduces the amount of friction between them. Friction can also be increased by increasing the force pushing the surfaces together or by using rougher materials.