Static Equilibrium Pulley Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the minimum mass for sliding to occur in a system with two masses and pulleys. The equations used to solve the problem are ∑Fx = 0 and ΣFy = 0. The final answer for the minimum mass M3 is 25.44kg, with the assumption that the static friction between M1 and the incline and between M2 and M1 occur at the same value of M3. However, it is noted that this may not always be the case and one of the static frictions may release first, causing the other to release as well.
Sixth42

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-16_21-56-1.png

The attachment above contains the diagram given in the problem

M1 = 25kg
M2 = 35kg
Friction coefficient between M1 and stucture = 0.15
Friction coefficient between M1 and M2 = 0.25
Friction on pulleys and mass on pulleys is negligible.

Find the minimum mass M3 for sliding to occur in the system (i.e. the maximum mass for which the system will remain in static equilibrium).

Homework Equations

∑Fx = 0
ΣFy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first mass:
upload_2016-6-16_23-18-23.png

The above attachment contains the diagram I used with the rotated coordinate system. My equations were:
∑Fy = 0
-M2g sin(60°)-M1g sin(60°) + Fn = 0
Fn = 509.7N

∑Fx = 0
-M2g cos(60°)-M1g cos(60°) - 0.15Fn + T1 = 0
T1 = 370.8N

For the second mass:
upload_2016-6-16_23-22-52.png

The above attachment contains the diagram I used with the rotated coordinate system. My equations were:
∑Fy = 0
-M2g sin(60°) + Fn2 = 0
Fn2 = 297.3N

∑Fx = 0
-M2g cos(60°) - 0.25Fn2 - T2 + T1 = 0
T2 = 124.8N

For the pulley attached to M3:
upload_2016-6-16_23-36-46.png

∑Fy = 0
2T2 - M3 = 0
M3 = 249.6N

Therefore mass of M3 = 249.6/9.81 = 25.44kg

I managed to get a final answer of M3 = 25.44kg (or 249.6N) by working on each mass individually. Using a rotated coordinate system for M1 and M2. It would be nice if someone could confirm this answer for me but my main questions are:
Was I correct in adding M2 to the force diagram for M1?
In both diagrams, is the friction force in the correct direction?
Does this method look correct overall or did I miss something?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-16_21-55-23.png
    upload_2016-6-16_21-55-23.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
Your force balance that you identify as M1 is really the force balance on the combination of M1 and M2, and should be identified as such. Also, M2 should be shown on this free body diagram.

You analysis inherently assumes that the static friction between M1 with the incline, and M2 with M1 will occur at the same value of M3. This is not necessarily the case. One of these static frictions may release first, then causing the other to release when the forces readjust.

Thank you very much Chester, I see where it went wrong

1. What is a static equilibrium pulley problem?

A static equilibrium pulley problem is a physics problem that involves a system of pulleys in which all forces acting on the pulleys are balanced, resulting in no overall movement or acceleration.

2. How do I solve a static equilibrium pulley problem?

To solve a static equilibrium pulley problem, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the pulleys and their respective directions. Then, you can use the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces in a system must be equal to zero, to set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces in the system.

3. What are the key concepts involved in a static equilibrium pulley problem?

The key concepts involved in a static equilibrium pulley problem include Newton's laws of motion, vector addition, and the principle of static equilibrium. Understanding these concepts is crucial in identifying and analyzing the forces at play in a pulley system.

4. Can a static equilibrium pulley problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a static equilibrium pulley problem can have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple unknown forces in the system and the equations do not uniquely determine their values. In such cases, additional information or assumptions may be needed to find a unique solution.

5. How is a static equilibrium pulley problem different from a dynamic pulley problem?

A static equilibrium pulley problem involves a system in which all forces are balanced and there is no movement or acceleration. In contrast, a dynamic pulley problem involves a system in which there is movement and acceleration due to unbalanced forces. The equations and principles used to solve these problems are different, and it is important to differentiate between the two when approaching a pulley problem.