Static friction and centripetal force

In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum constant angular velocity of a platform without causing a block to slip, given the coefficient of static friction between the block and the turntable. Using the equations for static friction, centripetal force, and equilibrium, the solution can be found by setting the static friction force equal to the centripetal force and solving for the angular velocity.
Xamien

Homework Statement

"If the coefficient of static friction between the block of mass m and the turntable is [itex]\mu_s[/itex], determine the maximum constant angular velocity of the platform without causing the block to slip." I'm actually using this problem to understand why I'm getting the wrong answer to another question, unfortunately the book doesn't actually say if I have the right answer to THIS one. r is the radius, of course.

Homework Equations

[itex]f = \mu_s F_{n}\

F = m r \omega^2 \

\sum F = F_1 + F_2

F_{n} = m g[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using summation, I set the static friction force equal to the centripetal force for equilibrium and solved for [itex]\omega[/itex].
[itex]\omega = \sqrt{{\mu_s g}/{r}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Xamien said:

Homework Statement

"If the coefficient of static friction between the block of mass m and the turntable is [itex]\mu_s[/itex], determine the maximum constant angular velocity of the platform without causing the block to slip." I'm actually using this problem to understand why I'm getting the wrong answer to another question, unfortunately the book doesn't actually say if I have the right answer to THIS one. r is the radius, of course.

Homework Equations

[itex]f = \mu_s F_{n}\

F = m r \omega^2 \

\sum F = F_1 + F_2

F_{n} = m g[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using summation, I set the static friction force equal to the centripetal force for equilibrium and solved for [itex]\omega[/itex].
[itex]\omega = \sqrt{{\mu_s g}/{r}}[/itex]

That final expression looks OK.

Thanks!

Related to Static friction and centripetal force

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object on a surface when there is no relative motion between the two. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and prevents the object from sliding.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction only occurs when there is no relative motion between the object and the surface, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the two. Additionally, the magnitude of static friction can vary and is always equal to or less than the applied force, while kinetic friction is constant and independent of the applied force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the normal force applied to the object, and the roughness of the surfaces. It increases as the coefficient of friction and normal force increase, and decreases with smoother surfaces.

4. How is centripetal force related to static friction?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In many cases, this force is provided by static friction, which acts as the centripetal force to keep the object from flying off its circular path.

5. Can static friction be greater than the applied force?

No, static friction can never exceed the applied force. If the applied force is greater than the maximum static friction, the object will start to slide and kinetic friction will take over. This is why it takes more force to initially overcome static friction and start an object moving than it does to keep it moving.