Static friction rotating an object

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder on a wall and the goal is to find the force P that will cause the cylinder to slip without rolling. There is no normal force exerted by the wall on the cylinder, so the maximum force of static friction exerted by the wall on the cylinder is zero. The solution involves calculating the required force P and making sure that Pslip < Proll to ensure that the cylinder will slip before rolling.
Biker

Homework Statement

Another question with the same idea, These questions bother me a lot. Hopefully you can help me figure why they solve it this way.
https://image.prntscr.com/image/aRnAD33ES2mML5JBwQBQvQ.png

it said in the question that U = 0.6 without saying if it is static or kinetic, However It is static because we are in a static course.
It wants P that makes the cylinder about to slip.

Homework Equations

F net = 0
net Torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my explanation for the diagram was, That we could have rolling without slipping ( rotates about B and have maximum static friction at A) but that again makes it 4 unknowns. But he said that he wants the cylinder to be about to slip. So B must have static friction that is maximum and A must have maximum static friction because If for it to move it must overcome that friction. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
Now my explanation for the diagram was, That we could have rolling without slipping ( rotates about B and have maximum static friction at A)

If rolling without slipping is possible, that requires that the disk lift up off the ground. So how can you have any friction at A when it is rolling up the wall?

TomHart said:
If rolling without slipping is possible, that requires that the disk lift up off the ground. So how can you have any friction at A when it is rolling up the wall?
I didn't say it started rolling, We are only calculating the required force for it to starts to move. I didn't gain any angular acceleration.

rude man said:
And the problem statement is ... ?
"It wants P that makes the cylinder about to slip." Nothing really more.

Biker said:
So B must have static friction that is maximum and A must have maximum static friction because If for it to move it must overcome that friction. Is this right?
Yes, both must have maximum friction in accordance with their normal forces.

Likes Biker
TomHart said:
So how can you have any friction at A when it is rolling up the wall?
You can't, and the amount of force P needed to get the wheel rolling up the wall can be easily calculated. One needs that number to make sure that the wheel will slip first before rolling and not roll first before slipping. In other words, establish that Pslip < Proll.

Edit: Disregard this post. See post #9.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
One needs that number to make sure that the wheel will slip first before rolling
Is it even possible for the wheel to roll up the wall (well, except for one very unique acceleration)? How can the wall apply a friction force to the wheel once the wheel leaves the floor? Is there a normal force from the wheel to the wall? Or am I confused again? :)

kuruman said:
You can't, and the amount of force P needed to get the wheel rolling up the wall can be easily calculated. One needs that number to make sure that the wheel will slip first before rolling and not roll first before slipping. In other words, establish that Pslip < Proll.
Wait so it is supposed to slip before rolling? Isn't it the other way around? It rolls then if we increase the force more it slips?

TomHart said:
Is it even possible for the wheel to roll up the wall (well, except for one very unique acceleration)? How can the wall apply a friction force to the wheel once the wheel leaves the floor? Is there a normal force from the wheel to the wall? Or am I confused again? :)
You are not confused. I did not pay enough attention to the equations. There is no normal force exerted by the wall on the wheel which is another of saying that the maximum force of static friction exerted by the wall on the wheel is zero.

Likes TomHart
kuruman said:
There is no normal force exerted by the wall on the wheel which is another of saying that the maximum force of static friction exerted by the wall on the wheel is zero.
Just to clarify one thing for @Biker, there is no normal force exerted by the wall on the wheel if the wheel leaves the ground. If the wheel remains on the ground, the friction force from the ground to the wheel will produce a normal force from the wall to the wheel.
@kuruman, would you please confirm (or correct) my statement above. Thank you.

Likes Biker
Likes TomHart

What is static friction rotating an object?

Static friction rotating an object refers to the force that prevents an object from slipping or sliding when it is in contact with another surface and is rotating. It is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other.

What are the factors that affect static friction rotating an object?

The factors that affect static friction rotating an object include the mass of the object, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force applied to the object. Additionally, the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the friction between two surfaces, also plays a role in determining the strength of the static friction force.

How does static friction rotating an object differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction rotating an object is different from kinetic friction in that it only occurs when the surfaces are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when the surfaces are in motion. Additionally, the strength of the static friction force is usually greater than that of the kinetic friction force.

Can the direction of static friction rotating an object change?

Yes, the direction of static friction rotating an object can change depending on the direction of the applied force. For example, if the force applied to the object is in the opposite direction of the rotation, the direction of the static friction force will also be opposite to prevent the object from slipping or sliding.

How can static friction rotating an object be reduced?

Static friction rotating an object can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces or by increasing the applied force in the direction of the rotation. Additionally, using lubricants or smoother surfaces can also reduce the strength of the static friction force.