Static or Dynamic equlibrium in a PN junction?

In summary,This is a qualitative analysis of the literature discussing an UNBIASED PN junction. The author has tried to visualise the electrostatic repulsion forces to understand the movement of the carriers, but it is confusing and he doesn't know what to do about the problems. Under a static equilibrium, the diffusion of minority carriers will still occur, giving a non-zero net current. However, when an external voltage is applied (reverse bias), the minority carriers may gain enough energy to break away from the attraction of the parent silicon atom, leaving behind CHARGED or UNCOMPENSATED silicon atoms.
Amal Thejus

Homework Statement

We are considering an UNBIASED junction.[/B]
I've read in a textbook that electric field created in the junction STOPS diffusion BUT in the same text its written the drift and diffusion currents cancel each other.
1. Does the diffusion and drift currents occur simulataneously and continues forever maintaing a dynamic equilibrium between the two? Or is it a static equilibrium where the electric field just stops the diffusion completely?

2. Also another doubt that i have is that what carriers constitute the drift current? Is it the majority carriers or the minority carriers or both??

3. If the drift current is ONLY due to minority carriers, how can it balance the magnitude of diffusion current since there are only a few minority carriers?

4. In the same textbook i also read there will a diffusion of minority carriers. What will be the direction of this diffusion, say of electrons(minority carriers) in the P side of the junction and how will it effect the equlibrium?

Homework Equations

Its a qualitative analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing diagrams of the lattice structure to visualise the electrostatic repulsion forces to get an idea of the movement of all the carriers but its utterly confusing and i couldn't reach any conclusions. I don't know what else to do about these problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amal Thejus said:

Homework Statement

We are considering an UNBIASED junction.[/B]
I've read in a textbook that electric field created in the junction STOPS diffusion BUT in the same text its written the drift and diffusion currents cancel each other.
1. Does the diffusion and drift currents occur simulataneously and continues forever maintaing a dynamic equilibrium between the two? Or is it a static equilibrium where the electric field just stops the diffusion completely?

2. Also another doubt that i have is that what carriers constitute the drift current? Is it the majority carriers or the minority carriers or both??

3. If the drift current is ONLY due to minority carriers, how can it balance the magnitude of diffusion current since there are only a few minority carriers?

4. In the same textbook i also read there will a diffusion of minority carriers. What will be the direction of this diffusion, say of electrons(minority carriers) in the P side of the junction and how will it effect the equlibrium?

Homework Equations

Its a qualitative analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing diagrams of the lattice structure to visualise the electrostatic repulsion forces to get an idea of the movement of all the carriers but its utterly confusing and i couldn't reach any conclusions. I don't know what else to do about these problems.
I went through the books again and the diffusion of minority carriers is not discussed under the PN junction. There isn't any reason for it to occur in a diode unless it is unevenly heated or something.

Also after more thinking i think the equilibrium is static or else the width of the junction will keep increasing due to diffusion.

But under a static equilibrium the diffusion of minority carriers will still happen, giving a non zero net current in equilibrium. So where am i going wrong?

Amal Thejus said:
I went through the books again and the diffusion of minority carriers is not discussed under the PN junction. There isn't any reason for it to occur in a diode unless it is unevenly heated or something.

Also after more thinking i think the equilibrium is static or else the width of the junction will keep increasing due to diffusion.

But under a static equilibrium the diffusion of minority carriers will still happen, giving a non zero net current in equilibrium. So where am i going wrong?
Is it like, under static equilibrium(unbiased) the minority carriers WON'T diffuse to the junction and get sweeped away by the junction and form a current simply because of the attraction from its parent silicon atom. But when an external voltage is applied (reverse bias), the minority carriers gain enough energy to break away from the attraction of parent silicon atom(and move through the Conduction band) leaving behind CHARGED or UNCOMPENSATED silicon atoms which MAY OR MAY NOT get compensated later ??

1. What is a PN junction?

A PN junction is a boundary or interface between a P-type and N-type semiconductor material. It is formed by joining a positively doped (P-type) and negatively doped (N-type) semiconductor material together, creating a depletion region in between.

2. What is static equilibrium in a PN junction?

Static equilibrium in a PN junction refers to the state where the diffusion current and drift current are equal and opposite, resulting in zero net current flow. This occurs when there is no external bias applied to the junction and the depletion region is at its equilibrium width.

3. What is dynamic equilibrium in a PN junction?

Dynamic equilibrium in a PN junction refers to the state where the diffusion current and drift current are still equal and opposite, but there is a net current flow due to an external bias applied to the junction. This results in a changing depletion region width and current flow through the junction.

4. How does temperature affect equilibrium in a PN junction?

As temperature increases, the equilibrium width of the depletion region in a PN junction also increases. This is due to an increase in the diffusion of charge carriers, resulting in a larger depletion region and a decrease in the diffusion current. The drift current, however, remains relatively constant with temperature.

5. What is the difference between forward and reverse bias in a PN junction?

In a forward biased PN junction, the external voltage is applied in a direction that allows for majority carriers to easily cross the depletion region, resulting in a current flow through the junction. In a reverse biased PN junction, the external voltage is applied in a direction that widens the depletion region, making it more difficult for majority carriers to cross and resulting in minimal current flow.