Statics - Finding Reaction at Supports

In summary, the person is struggling with drawing a free body diagram for a problem involving a pin and four points connected at an angle. They are seeking help and are unsure how to incorporate a horizontal member on the right of the diagram. The expert suggests removing the horizontal member to simplify the analysis and also suggests temporarily replacing point X with a fixed support to distribute the load more evenly.
adam640
Hey I'm just going over a past paper and I've lost the section of my notes RE this topic.

I understand how to draw the free body diagram when there is a pin involved, but not when it is connected at 4 points, the fact that they're at an angle is not helping.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5587/12603314.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the horizontal member to the right of X contributing any force. It can be removed to simplify your analysis.

Been 30 years sinvce I did this but ...

The lower supports are fixed so can point X be temporaily replaced by a fixed support? The 20kN load is therefore shared equally between the one support to the left and the temporary support at X. The vertical load on the temporary support X is then transferred down to two lower supports.

Related to Statics - Finding Reaction at Supports

1. What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important because it helps us understand the equilibrium of forces acting on an object, which is crucial in designing structures that can withstand external forces and remain stable.

2. How do you find the reaction at supports in a statics problem?

In order to find the reaction at supports, we need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero and the sum of all moments (torques) must also be equal to zero. By setting up and solving equations based on these principles, we can determine the reaction forces at the supports.

3. What are the different types of support in statics?

There are three main types of supports in statics: fixed, pinned, and roller. A fixed support prevents both translation and rotation of an object, while a pinned support only allows rotation but not translation. A roller support allows for translation but not rotation.

4. Can you explain the difference between external and internal forces in a statics problem?

External forces are those that act on an object from outside sources, such as gravity, friction, or applied loads. Internal forces, on the other hand, are forces that act within an object, such as stress and strain. In a statics problem, we focus on external forces as they are the ones that can cause an object to move or deform.

5. How can statics be applied in real life situations?

Statics has many practical applications in engineering and everyday life. It is used in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure their stability and safety. It is also used in the analysis of mechanical systems, such as machines and vehicles, to determine their performance and potential failure points. Understanding statics can also help us make everyday decisions, such as how to distribute weight evenly on a shelf or how to stack objects in a stable manner.