Statics problem -- Hinged members and anchor points supporting a mass

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnitude of the force P exerted by Member BC on Member AC, with the knowledge that P has a 325 N horizontal component. Using trigonometry, the magnitude of P is found to be 484.76 N. Additionally, the vertical component of the force is determined to be 360 N.
David Donald

Homework Statement

Member BC exerts on Member AC a force P directed along line knowing that P must have a 325 N horizontal component, determine (a) the magnitude of the force P,
20k90zd.jpg

Homework Equations

Trig I suppose

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure if this correct

I found two angles using the lengths of 720 mm and 650 mm (90, 42.1 and 47.9)
I then used the equation Fx = F*Cos( ) to fin dthe magnitude of P

325 N = F Cos(47.9) ----> 484.76 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Just for ease of clarity, when you list angles either name them as ACB, CAB, CBA, or mention in the order you are writing them down.

There is no point in finding the angles from the lengths when all you are going to do with the angles is apply trig functions to them. Just use Pythagoras to find the hypotenuse, then use the ratios of the sides.

What about the vertical component?

For part b, I used the equation F_y=F*cos(B)=((484.76)*cos(42.1))N=359.68N.

What do you think?

Adrian-Mitchell said:
For part b, I used the equation F_y=F*cos(B)=((484.76)*cos(42.1))N=359.68N.

What do you think?
As I commented in post #3, there is no point in finding the angle. It just reduces precision.
##P=F\cos(ACB)##, vertical component is ##F\sin(ACB)=P\tan(ACB)=325*\frac{720}{650}=360##.

Ok, cool, I got the same answer! Thank you for the tips on improving my work too.

1. What is a hinged member in statics?

A hinged member is a structural component that is connected to other members or supports through a hinge joint. This allows the member to rotate freely about the hinge point, while still providing support and stability to the structure.

2. How do hinged members affect the stability of a structure?

Hinged members play a crucial role in maintaining the stability of a structure. They allow for movement and rotation, which helps to distribute forces and prevent structural failure. Hinged members also help to transfer loads between different parts of the structure.

3. What is the purpose of anchor points in statics?

Anchor points are used to provide stability and support to a structure. They are fixed points that resist movement and help to distribute loads throughout the structure. Anchor points are often used in conjunction with hinged members to create a stable and balanced structure.

4. How does the placement of anchor points affect the stability of a structure?

The placement of anchor points is crucial for maintaining the stability of a structure. If the anchor points are not strategically placed, the structure may be more prone to collapse or failure. Properly placed anchor points help to evenly distribute loads and prevent excessive movement.

5. Can the number of anchor points affect the stability of a structure?

The number of anchor points can have a significant impact on the stability of a structure. Generally, the more anchor points that are used, the more stable the structure will be. However, the placement of the anchor points is also important. Too many anchor points in one area can create an unbalanced distribution of forces and actually decrease the stability of the structure.