Statics project involving shear & moment diagram of a control arm

In summary, the conversation is about finding the internal loads and drawing the corresponding shear and moment diagrams for a control arm that is bent along the x and y axis. The speaker is unsure about how to section the arm and asks for insight. They also question whether making two separate moment diagrams for each "arm" would be the same thing. The expert confirms that it would be fine and provides a link for further examples.
mhrob24
Homework Statement
Determine internal loads (shear and moment) of the control arm and draw the corresponding diagrams.
Relevant Equations
M = Fd = 0
Fy = 0
Part of a project I am working on (part #3…see description below) is asking us to find the internal loads (shear and moment) and draw the corresponding shear/moment diagrams of the control arm shown below. It’s a little tricky to me, because all of the members associated with these type of problems are normally straight….this travels along the x and y (it’s bent…)

The FBD I drew below shows how I THINK this should be sectioned in order to create the moment and shear diagram, but I’m really not sure. The moments do cancel when you reach the end of that member along the x-axis, so it seems like this should be accurate. Any insight would be beneficial. Thank you!
1638732388170.jpeg

1638732450444.jpeg

1638732466913.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do your analysis like if sections a and b were aligned, there is no difference regarding internal moments and shear loads.
The direction of the reaction force vector at the pivot must consider the directions of forces P and F, though.

Lnewqban said:
You can do your analysis like if sections a and b were aligned, there is no difference regarding internal moments and shear loads.
The direction of the reaction force vector at the pivot must consider the directions of forces P and F, though.

Thank you. You help me out a lot with questions on here. I appreciate it.

Let me ask you this: so if you look at the FBD I drew on the red pad where I made my cut through section A along the x axis…..if I made the shear/moment diagram with that, and then made another FBD but this time, I had the section B along the x-axis and made a second moment diagram for that section, would that be the same thing? I don’t see how it couldn’t be, but I want to see what you think, because that was my initial intent….just make 2 moment diagrams from each “arm” of the control arm.

mhrob24 said:
Thank you. You help me out a lot with questions on here. I appreciate it.

Let me ask you this: so if you look at the FBD I drew on the red pad where I made my cut through section A along the x axis…..if I made the shear/moment diagram with that, and then made another FBD but this time, I had the section B along the x-axis and made a second moment diagram for that section, would that be the same thing? I don’t see how it couldn’t be, but I want to see what you think, because that was my initial intent….just make 2 moment diagrams from each “arm” of the control arm.
That would be perfectly fine.

Take a look at the last examples of this link:
https://eng.libretexts.org/Bookshel...ibuted_Load_Shearing_Force_and_Bending_Moment

You are welcome. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes mhrob24

1. What is a control arm in a vehicle?

A control arm, also known as an A-arm, is a suspension component in a vehicle that connects the wheel hub and steering knuckle to the vehicle's frame. It helps to maintain the position and stability of the wheel while also allowing for movement and absorption of road shock.

2. How is shear force represented in a shear diagram?

Shear force is represented by a series of arrows on a shear diagram. These arrows point in the direction of the shear force at different points along the length of the control arm. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the shear force at that point.

3. What is the purpose of a moment diagram in a control arm analysis?

A moment diagram shows the variation of bending moment along the length of the control arm. This is important in understanding the stresses and forces acting on the control arm, which can help in designing a more efficient and safe suspension system for the vehicle.

4. How do you calculate shear and bending moment in a control arm?

Shear and bending moment can be calculated using the equations F = V/A and M = V*d, where F is the shear force, V is the external force acting on the control arm, A is the cross-sectional area of the control arm, M is the bending moment, and d is the distance from the point of interest to the neutral axis of the control arm.

5. What factors can affect the shear and moment diagram of a control arm?

The shear and moment diagram of a control arm can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the external forces acting on the control arm, the shape and material of the control arm, and the location and orientation of the control arm within the vehicle's suspension system.