Calculating Maximum Bending Moment?

In summary, the problem involves a 10m beam supported at the left end and at a point 9m to the right. It carries concentrated loads of 5kN at 2m from the left, 10kN at 6m, and 3kN at the right end, as well as a distributed load of 4kN/m between the two support points. The goal is to determine the reactions at the support points, the position and magnitude of the maximum bending moment, and the position of the point of contraflexure. The maximum bending moment occurs between points B and C and can be found by setting the shearing force to zero. The position and magnitude can be calculated using a formula. However
RStars

Homework Statement

A Beam ABCDE is 10m long and supported at its left hand end A and at a point D which is 9m to the right of A. The beam carries concentrated loads of 5kN at B, which is 2m to the right of A, 10kN at C, which is 6m to the right of A, and 3kN at E. It also carries a distributed load of 4kN/m between points A and D Determine i) the reactions at A and D; ii) the position and magnitude of the maximum bending moment and the position of any point of contra flexure; iii) draw the Shearing Force and Bending Moment diagrams for the beam indicating principal values.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved part i) the reactions, I have already figured out all the bending moments at each points and the shearing forces. I have already drawn the shearing force diagram. However I am having an issue trying to figure out how to calculate the magnitude and position of the maximum bending moment along with the position of the point of contra flexure. I think I missed the lecture when this was covered. So far I know that:

When shearing force = 0 the bending moment is at a maximum or minimum.

Therefore when I drew the shearing force diagram I could see that the maximum point falls between point B and C. However how do I calculate the magnitude and find the exact position of the max bending moment and the contraflexure point? Is there some kind of formulae?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Note I also tried to balance the shear force to zero, solving for x by:

adding the reactions:

RA + RB = 3+10+5+4x
where 4 x is the UDL*x

ended up with x = 9 which I know for sure isn't the position of the max bending moment because it does not coincide with my values of the bending moments for each point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's very easy to make mistakes, and your work should be self-checking. You should submit your detailed calcs and sketches so that we can see where you have either a computational error or a misconception of the principles of equilibrium.

1. How is maximum bending moment calculated?

The maximum bending moment can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to a beam by the distance between the force and the point of rotation, also known as the moment arm.

2. What is the significance of calculating maximum bending moment?

Calculating maximum bending moment is important in structural analysis and design as it helps determine the maximum stress and deflection that a beam can withstand.

3. What factors affect the maximum bending moment?

The maximum bending moment is affected by various factors such as the type and magnitude of the applied force, the shape and size of the beam, and the support conditions.

4. How is maximum bending moment different from maximum shear force?

Maximum bending moment and maximum shear force are both important considerations in structural analysis, but they represent different types of forces acting on a beam. Maximum bending moment is a measure of the bending stress, while maximum shear force is a measure of the shear stress.

5. Can the maximum bending moment be greater than the maximum shear force?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum bending moment to be greater than the maximum shear force. This often occurs at the point of maximum bending stress in a beam, which is usually located at the center of the beam or at the supports.