Insulated cylinder and compressing piston....

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermally insulated right circular cylinder with a piston on top, weight Wp, and sand placed on top with weight Ws. The pressure is dependent on the weights of the piston and sand, and the molar heat capacities are constant. The conversation addresses finding the final volume when the sand is placed grain by grain and all at once, as well as the work done for both cases. The solution for part a) is found using PV^gamma, while part b) requires a different approach due to a fundamental difference in the process. The conversation concludes with a discussion on understanding the essential difference between the two cases and using Newton's 2nd law to find the force balance on the piston and sand.
fabianprewett

Homework Statement

Given a thermally insulated right circular cylinder. A piston is on top with weight Wp. Sand is placed on top of the piston with weight Ws. The pressure is only dependent on the weight of the piston and sand. The molar heat capacities are constant.

a) Find the final volume when the sand is placed grain by grain.

b) Find the final volume when the sand is placed all at once.

c) Find the work done for part a) and b)

2. Homework Equations

gamma=y
A=area of piston
P1=Wp/A
P2=(Wp+Ws)/A
PV=nRT
P1V1^y=P2V2^y

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the solution for part a) using PV^gamma. I get V1/V2=(P2/P1)^(1/y)

Then plug in P2,P1,V1 I get V2=(nRtA/Wp)(Wp/(Wp+Ws))^(1/y)

For part b) I feel like I'm missing some fundamental knowledge or step to find the volume. I don't understand why the volume would be different even though I know it is. I got the equations for work and don't have a problem with part c) but obviously I need the volume in part b) to find the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fabianprewett said:
I don't understand why the volume would be different
Consider the height at which each grain is placed.

I know P1V1^y=P2V2^y can't be used for part b) as in part a). This is what I'm missing. I don't know how to find the relationship with gamma and volume for part b).

fabianprewett said:
I don't know how to find the relationship with gamma and volume for part b).
Don't worry about that for the moment. Think about what is being done differently with the sand. The sand grains descend, but do they all descend by the same distance?

I know the process is now irreversible in b). In a) it is a quasistatic, reversible process. I'm unsure of what I'm trying to find if not a relationship like P1V1^y=P2V2^y as in part a). Can part b) not be solved similarly to part a)?

fabianprewett said:
Can part b) not be solved similarly to part a)?
No, because the formula used in a) assumes the work done is only that needed to raise the pressure to the new level.
Please, please try to answer my question in post #4.

The sand moves down all at once in part b). So yes they move the same distance.

fabianprewett said:
The sand moves down all at once in part b). So yes they move the same distance.
In part b) all the sand grains move the same distance, but do they in part a)?

No but I've already solved everything for a). Do I need to use information from part a) to solve b)? I should be able to solve for b) indepedant of a)

fabianprewett said:
I've already solved everything for a)
Yes, but you need to understand what the essential difference is between a and b.

Ok well I know what the difference is, I just don't know what this implies or how this affects the final volume differently.

fabianprewett said:
I know what the difference is
So you can answer my question in post #8?

For part b, draw a free body diagram of the piston and sand. Let ##P_g (t)## be the pressure of the gas on the lower face of the piston at time t (which may be different from the average pressure of the gas in the cylinder during this rapid irreversible compression). Assume that the piston and cylinder are in a vacuum, so that there is no pressure force acting downward on the top of the piston and sand. What does Newton's 2nd law give you for the force balance on the combination of piston and sand?

1. What is an insulated cylinder and compressing piston?

An insulated cylinder and compressing piston is a scientific apparatus used to study the behavior of gases under different conditions. It consists of a cylinder with a movable piston and is designed to keep the gas inside at a constant temperature by preventing heat exchange with the surroundings.

2. How does an insulated cylinder and compressing piston work?

The insulated cylinder and compressing piston works by compressing a gas inside the cylinder by moving the piston. As the gas is compressed, its temperature and pressure increase, and it may undergo a phase change or chemical reaction. The insulation prevents heat from entering or escaping the cylinder, ensuring that the gas remains at a constant temperature throughout the experiment.

3. What is the purpose of using an insulated cylinder and compressing piston in scientific experiments?

The insulated cylinder and compressing piston are commonly used in scientific experiments to investigate the properties of gases, such as their behavior under high pressure or at different temperatures. This apparatus allows scientists to control and manipulate the gas inside the cylinder, providing valuable insights into its physical and chemical properties.

4. What are the potential risks of using an insulated cylinder and compressing piston?

While an insulated cylinder and compressing piston are generally safe to use, there are some potential risks to consider. The high-pressure gas inside the cylinder can be hazardous if not handled properly, and the compression process can generate heat, which may cause burns. It is essential to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate personal protective equipment when working with this apparatus.

5. What are some real-world applications of an insulated cylinder and compressing piston?

The insulated cylinder and compressing piston have various applications in industries such as chemical engineering, material science, and environmental studies. It is commonly used to study the behavior of gases in combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and other industrial processes. It is also a crucial tool in research and development for creating new materials and fuels.