Statistical Mechanics: Four non-interacting particles are confined in a box

In summary: E1 = 8C1 1 1 => E2 = 8C0 1 1 => E3 = 8C0 1 1 => E4 = 0C0 0 1 => E5 = 0C0 0 1 => E6 = 0C0 0 1 => E7 = 0C0 0
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
Four non-interacting particles are confined in a box of volume V with only the following energies, where nx, ny, nz are non-zero positive integers defining a quantum state (nx, ny, nz). Find the energy of the system at absolute zero of temperature if
(1.) Any number of particles can be in a quantum state
(2.) Not more than one particle can be in a quantum state
Relevant Equations
E = (π^2)(ℏ^2)/2mV^(2/3) * (nx^2 + ny^2 + nz^2)
= C*(nx^2 + ny^2 + nz^2)
Regarding the first part, I proceeded as:
nx ny nz
4 0 0 => E1 = 16C
0 4 0 => E2 = 16C
0 0 4 => E3 = 16C
3 1 0 => E4 = 10C
3 0 1 => E5 = 10C
0 3 1 => E6 = 10C
1 3 0 => E7 = 10C
0 1 3 => E8 = 10C
1 0 3 => E9 = 10C
2 1 1 => E10 = 6C
1 2 1 => E11 = 6C
1 1 2 => E12 = 6C
Hence total energy is coming out to be 3(16C) + 6(10C) + 3(6C) = 126C

For the second part, I noticed that there is no case having exactly 0 or 1 particles in all of the three quantum states.
So total energy = 0
Am I right in attempting the solution?
Also I don't understand the role of temperature in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
Homework Statement:: Four non-interacting particles are confined in a box of volume V with only the following energies, where nx, ny, nz are non-zero positive integers defining a quantum state (nx, ny, nz). Find the energy of the system at absolute zero of temperature if
(1.) Any number of particles can be in a quantum state
(2.) Not more than one particle can be in a quantum state
Relevant Equations:: E = (π^2)(ℏ^2)/2mV^(2/3) * (nx^2 + ny^2 + nz^2)
= C*(nx^2 + ny^2 + nz^2)

Regarding the first part, I proceeded as:
nx ny nz
4 0 0 => E1 = 16C
0 4 0 => E2 = 16C
0 0 4 => E3 = 16C
3 1 0 => E4 = 10C
3 0 1 => E5 = 10C
0 3 1 => E6 = 10C
1 3 0 => E7 = 10C
0 1 3 => E8 = 10C
1 0 3 => E9 = 10C
2 1 1 => E10 = 6C
1 2 1 => E11 = 6C
1 1 2 => E12 = 6C
Hence total energy is coming out to be 3(16C) + 6(10C) + 3(6C) = 126C

For the second part, I noticed that there is no case having exactly 0 or 1 particles in all of the three quantum states.
So total energy = 0
Am I right in attempting the solution?
Also I don't understand the role of temperature in the question.
##n_x##, ##n_y##, and ##n_z## can be any positive integer. So, ##n_x = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... \infty## and the same for ##n_y## and ##n_z##. Note that ##0## is not an allowed value for ##n_x##, ##n_y##, or ##n_z##. Also, all three of ##n_x##, ##n_y##, and ##n_z## can have the same value.

So, there are an infinite number of quantum states available in the box.

Since the temperature is at absolute zero, any particles in the box will settle into the quantum states that have the least energy subject to the conditions mentioned in cases (1.) and (2.) of the problem statement.

As a warm-up question, suppose there is only one particle in the box. What would be its energy if the temperature is absolute zero?

Last edited:
So I guess I have to make the table like this:
nx ny nz
2 1 1
1 2 1
1 1 2

If there is only one particle in this box, then we have the following possibilities:
nx ny nz
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
irrespective of temperature being absolute zero.
But how's this possible since nx, ny, nz cannot have the value '0'?

It appears to me that you might be mistaking the values of nx, ny, and nz for the number of particles. But nx, ny, and nz are just quantum numbers that label different quantum states. They do not represent numbers of particles. Suppose you had just one particle in the box. Then the particle could occupy any of the possible quantum states. For example, the particle might be in the quantum state where nx = 7, ny = 2, and nz = 9. The values of nx, ny, and nz can be used to calculate the energy of the particle in that state.

If the temperature is known to be absolute zero, then the particle would occupy the quantum state with the least energy. Which quantum state would this be?

At absolute zero, single particle would occupy nx = ny = nz = 1.

tanaygupta2000 said:
At absolute zero, single particle would occupy nx = ny = nz = 1.
Yes.

So for 4 particles,
(1.) For the first part,
nx ny nz
4 4 4
(2.) But for the second part, the question requires that
nx ny nz
1 1 1
But how's this possible, considering that the particles cannot divide ?

tanaygupta2000 said:
So for 4 particles,
(1.) For the first part,
nx ny nz
4 4 4
What is your reasoning for taking nx = ny = nz = 4?

Because for each particle, nx = ny = nz = 1
and there are 4 particles
and given that any number of particles can be in a quantum state.

tanaygupta2000 said:
Because for each particle, nx = ny = nz = 1
Yes. The 4 particles would be in the same quantum state represented by nx = ny = nz = 1. [This is for part (1) of the question.]

What is the value of the energy associated with the state nx = ny = nz = 1?

For nx = ny = nz = 1, E = 3C
So for 4 particles, Total energy = 12C
Is that right?

tanaygupta2000 said:
For nx = ny = nz = 1, E = 3C
So for 4 particles, Total energy = 12C
Is that right?
Yes. Good. Note how you never had to deal with the state nx = ny = nz = 4.

Likes tanaygupta2000
So for the second part of the question, should I do 4×[(1)2 + (2)2 + (3)2]C
which equals 56C ?

tanaygupta2000 said:
So for the second part of the question, should I do 4×[(1)2 + (2)2 + (3)2]C
which equals 56C ?
No. You want to get the lowest possible total energy with no more than 1 particle in a state.

So I think this time nx = ny = nz = 1
giving E = 3C
I am confused in this part

or
nxnynz

giving E = 3×6C = 18C
(The numbers in the table indicate number of states occupied by single particle, each in nx, ny and nz)

tanaygupta2000 said:
or
nxnynz

giving E = 3×6C = 18C
Close. That takes care of 3 particles (one particle in each state that you listed). But what about the 4th particle?

tanaygupta2000 said:
or
nxnynz

giving E = 3×6C = 18C
(The numbers in the table indicate number of states occupied by single particle, each in nx, ny and nz)
In I row, 2 particles are in first and second states of nx respectively, while 1 particle each in first state of ny and nz.
Similarly,
In II row, 2 particles are in first and second states of ny, while 1 particle each in first state of nx and nz.
In III row, 2 particles are in first and second states of nz, while 1 particle each in first state of nx and ny.

I'm also wondering if this time I have to take nx = ny = nz = 4

tanaygupta2000 said:
In I row, 2 particles are in first and second levels of state nx respectively, while 1 particle each in first level of ny and nz.
Similarly,
In II row, 2 particles are in first and second levels of state ny, while 1 particle each in first level of nx and nz.
In III row, 2 particles are in first and second levels of state nz, while 1 particle each in first level of nx and ny.
No. You seem to be thinking that the values that you pick for nx, ny, and nz must add up to 4; i.e., they must add up to equal the number of particles. This is not the case. The numbers nx, ny, and nz just label the different quantum states of the system.

I could put one particle in the state labeled by (nx, ny, nz) = (3, 1, 5). I could put another particle in the state
(8, 7, 22). The third particle could go in the state (10, 9, 1). The fourth particle might occupy the state (1, 9, 10). The third and fourth particles would have the same energy even though they are in different states. For each particle, you can calculate the energy of the particle by using the formula for E given in the problem. Thus, you can determine the total energy.

You want to put the particles in states so that the total energy of the 4 particles is the least possible. So, you have to think about which states (nx, ny, nz) the particles should occupy in order to minimize the total energy.

Here is a rough analogy. Suppose you have a stairway with an infinite number of steps. You have four blocks of the same mass. You want to place the 4 blocks on the steps in such a way that you minimize the total gravitational potential energy of the system. But you can't put more than one block on anyone step. How would you place the 4 blocks?

Last edited:
tanaygupta2000 said:
I'm also wondering if this time I have to take nx = ny = nz = 4
You could put one particle in the state (nx, ny, nz) = (4, 4, 4). The energy of this particle would be 48C, a rather large energy. This is not a good choice if you want to minimize the total energy. There are 63 states that have less energy than the state (4, 4, 4).

TSny said:
No. You seem to be thinking that the values that you pick for nx, ny, and nz must add up to 4; i.e., they must add up to equal the number of particles. This is not the case. The numbers nx, ny, and nz just label the different quantum states of the system.

I could put one particle in the state labeled by (nx, ny, nz) = (3, 1, 5). I could put another particle in the state
(8, 7, 22). The third particle could go in the state (10, 9, 1). The fourth particle might occupy the state (1, 9, 10). The third and fourth particles would have the same energy even though they are in different states. For each particle, you can calculate the energy of the particle by using the formula for E given in the problem. Thus, you can determine the total energy.

You want to put the particles in states so that the total energy of the 4 particles is the least possible. So, you have to think about which states (nx, ny, nz) the particles should occupy in order to minimize the total energy.

Here is a rough analogy. Suppose you have a stairway with an infinite number of steps. You have four blocks of the same mass. You want to place the 4 blocks on the steps in such a way that you minimize the total gravitational energy of the system. But you can't put more than one block on anyone step. How would you place the 4 blocks?
I will put I block on I step, II on II, III on III and IV block on IV step.
So should I take
nxnynz
I Particle111
II Particle222
III Particle333
IV Particle444
or
nxnynz
I Particle123
II Particle123
III Particle123
IV Particle123

Your second table won't work since it puts all 4 particles in the same state (nx, ny, nz) = (1, 2, 3). But you can't put more than one particle in a state.

The first table puts only one particle in a state, which is good. But, your choice of the four states doesn't produce the minimum energy. Your first state (nx, ny, nz) = (1, 1, 1) is a good choice since that state has the lowest energy of all possible states. You need to think about which state (or states) would have the next lowest energy. Note that there is no rule which says that the three values of nx, ny, and nz must be the same. (You chose the three values nx, ny, and nz to be the same in each row of your first table above.)

Likes tanaygupta2000
TSny said:
Your second table won't work since it puts all 4 particles in the same state (nx, ny, nz) = (1, 2, 3). But you can't put more than one particle in a state.

The first table puts only one particle in a state, which is good. But, your choice of the four states doesn't produce the minimum energy. Your first state (nx, ny, nz) = (1, 1, 1) is a good choice since that state has the lowest energy of all possible states. You need to think about which state (or states) would have the next lowest energy. Note that there is no rule which says that the three values of nx, ny, and nz must be the same. (You chose the three values nx, ny, and nz to be the same in each row of your first table above.)
Okay so I understand
For Particle I => (1,1,1)
For Particle II => (1,1,2)
For Particle III => (1,2,1)
For Particle IV => (2,1,1)

tanaygupta2000 said:
Okay so I understand
Is it that the specific quantum state of each particle is the set of specific coordinates (nx, ny, nz) corresponding to it ?

tanaygupta2000 said:
Okay so I understand
Yes. Good.

Likes tanaygupta2000
tanaygupta2000 said:
Is it that the specific quantum state of each particle is the set of specific coordinates (nx, ny, nz) corresponding to it ?
I would say that the specific coordinates (nx, ny, nz) provide a label for the specific state of the particle.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of a large number of particles or systems.

2. What does it mean for particles to be non-interacting?

Non-interacting particles are those that do not interact with each other through any forces or interactions, such as gravity or electromagnetism. This simplifies the analysis of the system as each particle can be treated independently.

3. What does it mean for particles to be confined in a box?

Particles being confined in a box means that they are limited to a specific region or volume in space. This could be a physical box or container, or it could be a mathematical construct used to simplify the analysis of the system.

4. How does statistical mechanics explain the behavior of four non-interacting particles in a box?

Statistical mechanics uses probabilistic methods to describe the behavior of a large number of particles. In the case of four non-interacting particles in a box, statistical mechanics can be used to calculate the probabilities of each particle being in a certain location or state, and how these probabilities change over time.

5. What are some practical applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has many applications in various fields, such as thermodynamics, materials science, and astrophysics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems such as biological systems and financial markets.