Work done by particle in a box in expanding the box?

In summary, the problem involves a particle in a rectangular box with a given energy expression. The task is to show that if the length of the box is increased from L_x to 8L_x, the work done by the particle is 3/4 of the initial mean energy. The equations provided are for mean pressure and force on the wall parallel to the x-axis. The student attempted to solve the problem using integration, but did not get the desired result. There may be a simpler solution using the given equation for mean pressure. The instructions are a bit unclear about the initial state of the particle.
fordhamdining

Homework Statement

I'm given that the energy of a particle in a rectangular box is the following:

[tex]E =\frac{\hbar \pi^2}{2m}(\frac{n_x^2}{L_x^2}+\frac{n_y^2}{L_y^2}+\frac{n_z^2}{L_z^2})[/tex]

I'm to show that if the length of the box is increased adiabatically and quasistatically from L_x to 8L_x, the work done by the particle is 3/4 of the initial mean energy.

Homework Equations

The mean pressure exerted on the walls is
[tex]p=\frac{2E}{3V}[/tex]
where V is the volume of the box. The force on the wall parallel to the x-axis is given by
[tex] \frac{-\partial E}{\partial L_x} = \hbar \pi^2n_x^2/mL_x^3[/tex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the work by integrating pdV from 1 to 8 (since increasing one dimension by a factor of 8 increases the volume by the same) but I did not get the 3/4 I needed. There was a factor of ln(8) that could not possibly simplify to 3/4. Then I figured since the expansion is only happening in the x-direction, I can integrate F_xdL_x from 1 to 8 but I still didn't get the right answer. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If you are allowed to start with ##p = \frac{2E}{3V}##, then I think the result follows without needing the formula you gave in section 1 for the energy levels of a particle in a box.

The wording of the question is a little unclear to me. Are you meant to assume that the particle starts out in a definite energy eigenstate corresponding to some particular (but unspecified) values of ## n_x, n_y## and ##n_z##? If so, then I don't understand the phrase "3/4 of the initial mean energy". If the particle is initially in a specific energy eigenstate, then it seems to me that there is no need to use the word "mean" here.

1. What is meant by "work done by particle" in the context of a particle in a box?

The work done by a particle in a box refers to the energy transferred by the particle as it moves within the confines of the box. This energy can be in the form of kinetic energy, potential energy, or both.

2. How does the expansion of the box affect the work done by the particle?

As the box expands, the size of the space available for the particle to move in increases. This means that the particle has to do more work to cover the same distance, resulting in an increase in the work done by the particle.

3. Is the work done by the particle in a box a constant value?

No, the work done by the particle in a box is not a constant value. It depends on the size of the box and can change as the box expands or contracts.

4. How is the work done by a particle calculated in a box with non-constant expansion?

In a box with non-constant expansion, the work done by a particle can be calculated by integrating the force exerted on the particle over the distance traveled. This force can be due to changes in the size of the box or any external forces acting on the particle.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the work done by a particle in a box with expanding dimensions?

Studying the work done by a particle in a box with expanding dimensions can have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, it can help in understanding the behavior of molecules in a confined space, or in designing efficient heat engines by optimizing the work done by expanding gases.