Statistical mechanics, ideal gas, Helmholtz FE and chem. pot.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the pressure and chemical potential of an ideal gas using the partition function. The equations and approximations used in the solution are mentioned, with a focus on the use of Stirling's approximation. The suggestion is made to use an alternative expression for the chemical potential in terms of the partition function.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a problem but I am confused on what's going on with an approximation.
I have to find the pressure in function of V, T and N of an ideal gas using the partition function, then obtain the chemical potential in function of T, p and N and I must graph it in function of T. I'm having trouble with the chemical potential.

Homework Equations

[itex]C^N=h^{3N}N![/itex] because the particles that make up the gas are indistinguishable.
Partition function: ##Z_N(T,V)=\frac{1}{C^N} \int _\Gamma dx_1dy_1dz_1...dx_Ndy_Ndz_Ndp1_xdp1_ydp1_z...dpN_xdpN_ydpN_z \exp \left ( -\beta \sum _{i=1}^N \frac{pi_x^2+pi_y^2+pi_z^2}{2m} \right )##
Helmholtz free energy: ##A=-kT\ln (Z_N(T,V))##.
Pressure: ##p=-\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial V} \right ) _{T,N}##
Chem. potential: ##\mu (T,V,N)=\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial N} \right ) _{(T,V)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relevant equations I calculated ##A(T,V,N)=-kT\ln \left ( \frac{V}{C^N} \left ( \frac{2\pi m}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right )## which gave me the famous ##P=\frac{kNT}{V}## so there are chances that I got the Helmholtz free energy right.
Now the problem begins for the chem. potential.
In order to calculate mu, I want to express A in terms of N explicitely. I got ##A(T,V,N)=-kNT \{ \ln \left [ V \left ( \frac{2m \pi}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right ] -\ln (h^3) - \frac{1}{N}\ln (N!) \}##
I must derivate this with respect to N so I guess it is convenient to use Stirling's approximation. If so, I get ##\mu (T,V,N) \approx -k T - \{ kT \ln \left [ \frac{V}{h^3N} \left ( \frac{2m \pi}{\beta} \right ) ^{3/2} \right ] -\frac{kT}{N} \}##. And here is where I'm desperate. Since N is enormous I get a non sensical result (natural logarithm of 0).
So I don't know if I did something wrong somewhere... Maybe there was no need to use Stirling's approximation? Hmm.
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It looks like you're on the right track with your calculations. However, I believe the issue lies in your use of Stirling's approximation. This approximation is often used when dealing with large values of N, but in this case, N is not necessarily large since it represents the number of particles in the gas. Therefore, using Stirling's approximation may not be appropriate here.

Instead, I would suggest looking at the expression for the chemical potential in terms of the partition function: ##\mu (T,V,N)=kT\ln \left ( \frac{Z_N(T,V)}{Z_{N-1}(T,V)} \right )##. You have already calculated the partition function, so you can use that to obtain an expression for the chemical potential in terms of V, T, and N. Then, you can plot this expression as a function of T to see how it varies with temperature.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics and thermodynamics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. It helps us understand how macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and energy, emerge from the microscopic behavior of its individual particles.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It assumes that the particles of the gas have no volume and do not interact with each other, simplifying the calculations in many cases.

3. What is Helmholtz free energy?

Helmholtz free energy (FE) is a thermodynamic potential that measures the amount of energy that is available to do work in a system at a constant temperature and volume. It is defined as the difference between the internal energy and the product of temperature and entropy of the system.

4. What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the energy required to add one particle to a system while keeping the temperature, volume, and number of particles constant. It is related to the change in Helmholtz free energy with respect to the number of particles.

5. How are statistical mechanics and thermodynamics related?

Statistical mechanics provides a microscopic understanding of the behavior of a system, while thermodynamics focuses on the macroscopic properties of the same system. Statistical mechanics helps us derive the laws of thermodynamics from the behavior of individual particles, making the two fields closely related and complementary to each other.